Mixer advice please

Last response: in Home Audio
October 12, 2004 9:55:42 PM

I'm interested in the Mackie Onyx 1220, especially the firewire option.
However the high price of the firewire card seems to much (it's seems to
cost about as much as the mixer itself).

Is there another brand that offers a similar mixer with firewire?

Can someone steer me to one or two retailers that have great pricing?

Thanks

More about : mixer advice

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 1:17:15 AM

In article <7fadnRMDE-tGz_HcRVn-tw@rogers.com> doug-macarthur@rogers.com writes:

> I'm interested in the Mackie Onyx 1220, especially the firewire option.
> However the high price of the firewire card seems to much (it's seems to
> cost about as much as the mixer itself).

Life is tough in the trenches. I don't think the Firewire card is out
yet anyway. You need to understand, too, just what it does, and
doesn't do. It's straight off the mic preamps - no EQ, no routing, no
mixing. Fine for capturing what went into the mixer (and nothing else)
but that isn't what everyone wants all the time.

> Is there another brand that offers a similar mixer with firewire?

Not that I know of, but the AES show is just a couple of weeks away,
and the NAMM show (where, if you're worried about the cost of the
Mackie, is where a lower cost mixer is likely to appear) is coming up
in January.

Must it be Firewire? You might want to see what Edirol has. They've
been doing quite a bit with USB2.

October 16, 2004 10:49:25 AM

<< mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) >>

<< w@rogers.com> doug-macarthur@rogers.com writes: >>
<< > Is there another brand that offers a similar mixer with firewire? >>

<< Not that I know of, but the AES show is just a couple of weeks away,
and the NAMM show (where, if you're worried about the cost of the Mackie, is
where a lower cost mixer is likely to appear) is coming up in January. >>

<< Must it be Firewire? You might want to see what Edirol has. They've
been doing quite a bit with USB2. >>

Well - there is a whole crowd of Tascam DM24 mixer users who have been
waiting (and waiting and waiting) for TAscam to release the Firewire card for
our boards. That would make the DM24 a 24 channel I/O for your favorite DAW
software through ASIO drivers.

Tascam's guys say that their future products are based on these particular
cards so they _will_ be released soon (like right now they are bundling the CDs
with the cards for firmware upgrades or something. Were supposed to ship
yesterday - and I'm actually kinda holding my breath this time.)

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News