Pro Tools Free for Editing only?

Last response: in Home Audio
October 12, 2004 7:45:38 PM

A recent post renewed this question in me? Is it possible to take a
session recorded in PT TDM or LE, edit it in FREE and bring it back to
the bigger systems for mixing? It would just be session data on a
Hard Drive, no Audio input or output. Would there be any degradation
or negative side effects from doing so?

Thanks,

Dan Fox

More about : pro tools free editing

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 8:59:33 AM

>From: upryz1@gmail.com (Upryz)
>Date: 10/12/04 6:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>
>A recent post renewed this question in me? Is it possible to take a
>session recorded in PT TDM or LE, edit it in FREE and bring it back to
>the bigger systems for mixing? It would just be session data on a
>Hard Drive, no Audio input or output. Would there be any degradation
>or negative side effects from doing so?

I don't think you can save with the free Pro Tools software.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 1:11:31 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:59:33 -0400, Raymond wrote
(in article <20041013005933.04424.00003015@mb-m24.aol.com>):

>> From: upryz1@gmail.com (Upryz)
>> Date: 10/12/04 6:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>>
>> A recent post renewed this question in me? Is it possible to take a
>> session recorded in PT TDM or LE, edit it in FREE and bring it back to
>> the bigger systems for mixing? It would just be session data on a
>> Hard Drive, no Audio input or output. Would there be any degradation
>> or negative side effects from doing so?
>
> I don't think you can save with the free Pro Tools software.

Yes you can. PTFree, however, is a very basic interface. It uses teh audio
I/O of your computer or you can use an iMIC USB audio interface.

It looks like PTLE and TDM, but is a LOT more clunky to operate (Hey, it's
FREE).

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
October 13, 2004 5:47:17 PM

Isn't it also limited to eight audio tracks, and 16-bit only?
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 6:43:06 PM

Raymond wrote:

> I don't think you can save with the free Pro Tools software.

Nope, it's a fully functional app within its lack-of-processing-box DSP
restrictions. You can track, edit, mix, etc. If what you want to do fits
within its capabilities you can turn out product with it.

--
ha
October 13, 2004 6:43:07 PM

walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) wrote in message news:<1gll3v2.av0mn36izys7N%walkinay@thegrid.net>...
> Raymond wrote:
>
> > I don't think you can save with the free Pro Tools software.
>
> Nope, it's a fully functional app within its lack-of-processing-box DSP
> restrictions. You can track, edit, mix, etc. If what you want to do fits
> within its capabilities you can turn out product with it.

Provided it works. It ususally does not.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 7:14:32 PM

Rob Aries wrote:

> Isn't it also limited to eight audio tracks, and 16-bit only?

Eight tracks yes, but a choice of 16 or 24 bit as you begin each new session.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 7:59:45 PM

walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) wrote in message news:<1gll3v2.av0mn36izys7N%walkinay@thegrid.net>...
> Raymond wrote:
>
> > I don't think you can save with the free Pro Tools software.
>
> Nope, it's a fully functional app within its lack-of-processing-box DSP
> restrictions. You can track, edit, mix, etc. If what you want to do fits
> within its capabilities you can turn out product with it.

Will it SOUND the same? No tracking - only opening preexisting sessions?
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 9:44:47 PM

Rob Aries <rob_aries@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<rob_aries-7B0009.13471713102004@news.isp.giganews.com>...
> Isn't it also limited to eight audio tracks, and 16-bit only?

PT 5.0.1 will run 24 bit 48 kHz just fine.
(within the limitations of your sound card, of course)
If you open a project that has more than 8 audio tracks,
those tracks above the first 8 will be lost, if you try to save with PTFree.

RD
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 2:38:30 AM

Sidhu wrote:

> hank alrich wrote...
> > Raymond wrote:

> > > I don't think you can save with the free Pro Tools software.

> > Nope, it's a fully functional app within its lack-of-processing-box DSP
> > restrictions. You can track, edit, mix, etc. If what you want to do fits
> > within its capabilities you can turn out product with it.

> Provided it works. It ususally does not.

Then you have issues with your computer setup. Because whatever its
limitations, it runs fine on supported platforms that are appropriately
configured. I don't make much use of it, preferring instead to pretend I
can fiugre out how Logic works, but when I do use PT Free it works fine
for what it is.

--
ha
October 14, 2004 4:44:47 PM

walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) wrote in message news:<1glliu4.1atcmfn12psfcwN%walkinay@thegrid.net>...
> Sidhu wrote:
>
> > hank alrich wrote...

> > > Nope, it's a fully functional app within its lack-of-processing-box DSP
> > > restrictions. You can track, edit, mix, etc. If what you want to do fits
> > > within its capabilities you can turn out product with it.
>
> > Provided it works. It ususally does not.
>
> Then you have issues with your computer setup. Because whatever its
> limitations, it runs fine on supported platforms that are appropriately
> configured. I don't make much use of it, preferring instead to pretend I
> can fiugre out how Logic works, but when I do use PT Free it works fine
> for what it is.

Id be curious to know what your setup is. I myself use an AMD Athlon
2500+ (barton) on a MSI board with the Nforce 2 chipset. Kingston
value 512 RAM (trying to locate hyperX) errr.. SB Live for now. With
the KX drivers (changing very soon)

Why I is said it usually will not work is cause i have tried to
install PT Free on many machines, but it has never worked. The PT Free
forums on the DUC also usually suggest that it does not work. But i
guess it cold also be that the application just does not like many
soundcards. Then i tried it on a machine running MOTU 321 PCI with the
2408 interface. Dint work there either.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 12:22:23 AM

Sidhu wrote:

> Id be curious to know what your setup is. I myself use an AMD Athlon
> 2500+ (barton) on a MSI board with the Nforce 2 chipset. Kingston
> value 512 RAM (trying to locate hyperX) errr.. SB Live for now. With
> the KX drivers (changing very soon)

Apple 1 GHz G4 TiBook w/1 Gb RAM, OS 9.2.2

Apple Cube 500 Mhz G4 384 Mb RAM, OS 9.2.2

It could well be that PT Free works okay on one platform and not
another. For "real" PT <g> I am told it works equally well on either
side.

--
ha
October 15, 2004 6:01:37 AM

walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) wrote in message news:<1glnear.1ucmk1u11qccyoN%walkinay@thegrid.net>...
> Sidhu wrote:
>
> > Id be curious to know what your setup is. I myself use an AMD Athlon
> > 2500+ (barton) on a MSI board with the Nforce 2 chipset. Kingston
> > value 512 RAM (trying to locate hyperX) errr.. SB Live for now. With
> > the KX drivers (changing very soon)
>
> Apple 1 GHz G4 TiBook w/1 Gb RAM, OS 9.2.2
>
> Apple Cube 500 Mhz G4 384 Mb RAM, OS 9.2.2
>
> It could well be that PT Free works okay on one platform and not
> another. For "real" PT <g> I am told it works equally well on either
> side.

Yes of course. The time that PT Free was launched (v 5.x) PT was
notorious on a PC. If you wanted stability u needed to have a mac. Now
its a lot different. But they obviously ported the code for PT Free
from the older version. What they do not realize is that most ppl who
want to use PT free do not have Macs. And now what ?? G5 will not
support OS9. But then maybe they dont need to realize.

sidhu
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 3:59:22 PM

Sidhu wrote:

> What they do not realize is that most ppl who
> want to use PT free do not have Macs. And now what ?? G5 will not
> support OS9. But then maybe they dont need to realize.

All my computers are Macs. That said, I have never fallen in love with
any version of OSX and beyond. In fact, I downgraded back to 8.6.

I was a little bummed when they stopped making dual boot machines,
because my next machine(s) will undoubtedly have the latest version of
OSX built in. I liked the option to boot in OS9 as well. I guess there
are still some dual boot machines available.

Interesting to see Adobe's approach (of going Wintel only) since Apple
started selling their own audio and video software, and bought eMagic,
etc.

Avid has also increased their Wintel support. I have a friend who edits
TV spots on a non-Apple Avid system.
!