Need help with connecting old Dell Latitude C600

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I was just given an old Dell Latitude C600 with a fresh copy of XP installed. My friend said everything worked great, but when I hooked it up and tried accessing my wireless network, it won't connect. The Cisco wireless card "sees" my network and signal strength is excellent, but when I try connecting, it says the network is no longer in range. Is this an incompatibility betwen an older wireless card and newer router, or something else? I haven't had a chance to ask my friend if he tested the WiFi card, or only loaded/tested Windows. Device Manager shows no problems with the WiFi card, and I've tried unplugging it, re-installing the driver, rebooting the router.

Solution
I'm assuming, since you mentioned Comcast, that they supplied the router and configured both it and your other equipment. If that's the case ditching the old card is a very good idea. A new adapter isn't that expensive. However, you have to make sure that whatever you get has XP drivers.

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005

Thanks ex_bubblehead,
I'm by no means an expert in wireless, but think it's higher since the router is only a year old. I just assumed all the newer gear would be backwards compatible...I'll do a little more research on the specs for the WiFi card and router when I get home.

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005

I looked up the WiFi card (a Cisco AIR-PCM352) and in the specs it looks like 40 and 128 bit WEP encryption. The router (a Netgear WNR1000v2) doesn't mention the encryption level in the specs, but WEP is mentioned. Both devices mention WEP in security, but does that necessarily mean they're compatible? My brain is just barely hanging on to all this :pt1cable:

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005

But isn't WPA what the WiFi card "speaks"?

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005

Sorry to ask what's probably a stupid question, but how do I check? If I change the router to match the WiFi card (if that's possible), won't that throw off my "smart" TV, or would I have to change it back and forth?

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005

I spoke with a very nice guy from Comcast last night who said I could reconfigure the router to work with the WiFi card, but I couldn't configure the WiFi card to work with the router. If I were to change the router config, then my other devices would be locked out. He suggested ditching the old WiFi card and getting a USB WiFi dongle. Sounds reasonable, but then again, I'm pretty WiFi illiterate. I called Cisco yesterday and was passed around like a cheap hooker, so no help from them on the card :-(. What do you think?

I'm assuming, since you mentioned Comcast, that they supplied the router and configured both it and your other equipment. If that's the case ditching the old card is a very good idea. A new adapter isn't that expensive. However, you have to make sure that whatever you get has XP drivers.

Solution

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005

Yes, Comcast supplied the router (for free, I might add. Something ATT wouldn't do for my mom), but I set it up per quickstart guide that came with it, and connected my TV and other laptop. Good tip on making sure the new card has XP drivers :D . How does something like this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045 . I think for giggles, I'll try the dongle that came with my Panasonic "smart" TV when I get home, just to see if all this is doable.

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005

Thanks...didn't think about that

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Update...I talked to my neighbor who said to set my router to run on B/G/N mixed mode, since the old WiFi card was B (the router was set to G/N only). That allowed me to connect, but it was pretty unstable, and S L O W. (5-10 MBS) I just got the new TP-Link adapter yesterday and am now showing 150 MBS :bounce: The only problem is the old laptop only has one USB port, on the back, and the TL-Link adapter sticks out pretty far (with an antenna). Luckily Newegg included a free remote stand, so everything's cool ;-).