lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
then get a memorex Maxx it is a 52x that is similar enough to the lite-on that some lite-on owners with 48x units have overclocked them to 52x using the memorex firmware

<font color=red><b> It may be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others</font color=red></b>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
the lite-on 52x is on the newegg site now <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=5&manufactory=1336&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1" target="_new"> link.. 80.00 USD </A>

<font color=red><b> It may be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others</font color=red></b>

jaythaman

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
God the 52x is out already ?!?? damn man i just bought a 40x writer like a few months ago and it's already crap.........damn liteon

ummmmmmmmmmmm...............wha?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"and it's already crap"

Recktum, hell.

Unless you special order that media, you're not burning faster than 32x. And there's like, no chance in hell I'm special ordering 48x media at $.90/cdr.

I'll stick with my nappy little 24x at $.32/cdr, until they figure out the process.

[Jedi mind trick] You LOVE Palladium. [/mind trick]

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I was with a 12x up to a few weeks ago. Now I got a 40x I got for $30 and it's fast. CDr's that are 48x I get at $20 for an 100 pack. It's an ok price.

What if you had admin rights to life?

And they're practically giving away 24x drives now to clear old stock. Personally I plan to go for a 40x drive in a month or so. But I won't be doing a lot of burning so moderate performance is fine, and the added speed versus cost of a 52x probably isn't worth it.

:eek: Wingding - proof of the need for genetic screening :eek:

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"I get at $20 for an 100 pack."

One way or another, that is severly screwed.

Either those are some nasty cdr's that will pinch off a loaf on your head when you least expect it, or the manager is on crack.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
There is a shop in australia near me that has just started stocking the LiteOn 48x24x48x is white and BLACK fronted drives.

Also, i was just reading a thread over at overclockers.com.au about flashing the 48x drive to 52x. Apparently they use exactly the same hardware. Yummie.

Im really looking forward to the 24x rewrite as i do a fair bit of rewriting.

<b>And if you gaze for long into Toms Hardware Forums, The Forum gazes also into you! :eek: </b>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I have 100 really really silver TDK 24x's why the doubt ??

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You have to read up the post a ways.

My reference was to:

"CDr's that are 48x I get at $20 for an 100 pack".

That pulls it down to $.20/cdr. They are 48x, and "silver" bottomed. You just don't get a silver bottom by using crap chemicals. They're either phtylocyanine or advanced pth.

Either way, that would kick ass. Hell, that would kick ass at $.32/cdr. The $.20 just means I'd mailorder the piss out of them, and clean out their warehouse in one throw.

I would have like, no qualms about burning at my full 48x speed. I don't really have a problem burning at 24x right now. I'm just saying that I would also have no problem with burning at 48x.

Using the full speed of my burner gets me wet...

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
ok I see .. )i only saw (I call BS on your <b>last</b> post) I'd like any color 48x's of a name brand for 20 cents each too :) ( I prefer azo blues personally .. verbatims or fuji TY's)

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I sincerely suggest anybody considering purchasing 40+X spin drives to reconsider. That ofcourse unless you are ready to throw away all you old slightly scratched, slightly unbalanced disks.

There are allready numerous examples of CDs being torn apart in high speed drives. You risks destroying the drive if you put low quality CDs in there or if the CD is slightly scratched.
Those drives should be withdrawn from the market!

<i><b>"I don't understand what it is! Let me kill it!" -- Worf</b></i>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Also, we have to ask are 52x burners really necessary? Consider what you are getting.
<b>A.</b> The Max burn speed is only being increased by 8%.
<b>B.</b> The max burn speed only happens at the VERY END of the media, so the total burn time will be a very nominal improvment at best.
<b>C.</b> The drive and the media has to compensate for increased vibrations due to higher spin speeds.
<b>D.</b> It gets harder & more expensive to find media that will be allowed to be burnt at such speeds thanx to the rate limiting smart media.
<b>E.</b> Even the difference between 40x and 44x/48x isn't very large. Its obvious we are dealing with the law of diminishing returns.

<b>Cogposto tomsa, ergo sum - <i>Descartes</i>
</b>Translation:<b> I post at Toms Hardware, Therefor I am. :smile: </b>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
neither of my 56x cdroms has ever fragged a disk why would a burner going slightly slower be more prone to doing this ??

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
yeah... I read over at cdfreaks.com that this is possible already. I think i read a week ago where a guy was able to overclock his tdk 48x burner to 52x. So basically, If you have a 48x lite-on, then you can update the firmware to make it a 52x burner... No need to waste an extra 10 bucks from newegg if you can get the firmware for free!!!

The only time I would get a 52x burner would be if it had 32x cdrw support, because I would seriously consider using my burner as a floppy thanx 2 mt. rainier.

The greatest risk of all is not taking one!