AT&T hicup in line is shutting down my internet, what can I do?

integraoligist

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
Hi all,
My only ISP option where I am as AT&T DSL at 6m, but only get 4.8m.
Anyway, my problem is, about 3-4 times a week it seems that there is a hicup in the line and the internet completely fails and the only way for the network to regain access to the internet is to reset the modem and router. Then it will work fine again.

Is there something I can do to fix this with my current modem/router setup? Or is there another special type of modem router that auto-reconnects/resets when it sees there is no internet?

Current DSL Modem: Netopia 2241M I have this modem set to Bridge Mode so that the Router has full control because I need some open ports for IP cameras.

Current Router: Trendnet tew 652brp I thought maybe it was this router, so I changed it out with another 652, and still the same problem.

I've got 5 IP cameras and 2 Win7 PC's on the network.

Thanks all for the help!

Test this with only the modem, bypass the router, will tell you exactly where the connection if failing. Don't worry about the speed much, it's probably 6 meg at ideal settings, no noise in the lines, good filters and not too far away from the central station. Unless you have all three in ideal shape, you won't get the max rated speed.