Your question

Windows 8 boot loader not detecting Ubuntu

Last response: in Windows 8
April 21, 2012 4:09:01 AM

Hello All,

I currently have 2 drives in my system.

(1) 128GB SSD
(1) 500GB HDD

I started out by installing Windows 8 to my SSD. I then made a partition to my HDD which was under 20GB and installed Ubuntu. I then booted off my Windows 8 disc and ran

bootsec /fixmbr
bootsec /fixboot
bootsec /scanos

After doing so, I no longer see the GRUB bootloader BUT, Windows 8 is not detecting my Linux install. It boots straight to Windows 8 and I get no option to pick an OS.

Any ideas on how to add the Linux install to the boot list? Thanks!
April 22, 2012 5:02:30 AM

NewbieTechGodII said:
Bing is your friend...try this:

http://www.intowindows.com/dual-boot-windows-8-and-ubun...

Umm.. no.. I don't think you read or understood what I was asking. I have Ubuntu already installed. I ran those commands at recovery to bring back the Windows 8 bootloader. I need to get the bootloader to detect my ALREADY existing Ubuntu install.
m
l
Related resources
April 22, 2012 6:04:11 AM

normz said:
Umm.. no.. I don't think you read or understood what I was asking. I have Ubuntu already installed. I ran those commands at recovery to bring back the Windows 8 bootloader. I need to get the bootloader to detect my ALREADY existing Ubuntu install.

Ummm...yes, I do understand...but maybe the solution is that you have to install Win8 first, then ubuntu.

You're dealing with a BETA OS with Win8 CP, so the rules for dealing with it are not the same as one that is RTM. Go ahead and give it a shot and see what happens...I mean, all of the time you've probably wasted trying to get this to work is probably > than the time it would take as described in the article.

Good luck!

m
l
April 22, 2012 3:11:24 PM

I believe normz did install Win8 first.

I've always preferred GRUB over the MS bootloader for this very reason... additionally, I believe that GRUB is reinstalled when Ubuntu updates itself which means you'd have to go through the process of fixing everything again. I'd just use GRUB.

m
l
April 22, 2012 4:16:03 PM

Another option would be to install Grub into the MBR of the hdd rather than the ssd. Then you could use the motherboard's boot selector to choose which drive from which to boot. With my ASRock motherboard, I hit F11 at the ASRock splash screen and up comes the boot options. When choosing the hdd Grub comes up and still shows the choice between Xubuntu or Windows. The Windows boot loader is set as default by the mobo and untainted by Grub, so Windows loads quickly from the ssd directly, if I choose not to hit the F11 key.
m
l
September 13, 2013 5:12:21 AM

You can't install two OS's in two different drives and have one loader for both of them (unless you have them on RAID). You have two options:

1. Install Windows and Ubuntu in the same drive. If you do that first install Windows then Ubuntu,(Ubuntu will automatically add Windows in the loader),
2. Install Windows and Ubuntu in different drives and everytime you boot your PC, enter the BIOS and change Boot Priority according to the drive in which you have installed the desired OS.
m
l
November 5, 2013 5:51:37 AM

^^^ As mentioned partition the first drive(SSD) to include the ubuntu and windows installation. The second drive can be used as data drive for both of them. You can partition the disk to include NTFS and EXT4 formats or keep as a same drive with NTFS format. That way the drive can be accessed by both the OSs.

You can install Windows after the Ubuntu installation but in that case the GRUb will be overwritten by the windows boot loader, which btw cannot recognise linux installations. So you would have to reinstall the GRUB once again from the Linux live CD or USB. You can find the tutorial from the ubuntu forums
m
l
!