ATI Vidcard Advice Sought

I'm considering upgrading my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro to an ATI X800 and was
wondering whether this would be worthwhile for racing sims and/or flight
sims. Many of the latest sims have pretty hefty system and graphics
specs, and I find that I can no longer run many of them at full graphics
settings (at least not without having the framerate suffer drastically).

So has anyone made the switch from a 9700Pro to an X800? If so, was it
worthwhile? If no one has personal experience with this, then perhaps
someone can provide me a link to an online comparison (preferably using
racing or flight sims, but I'll take a looks at any comparison).

I'm looking to maximize graphics without taking a framerate hit. This
would be on an AthlonXP2600 system with 1 Meg Ram, if that matters.

Thanks!

You might want to dig around Firing Squads site as they have benchmarks for both
Lock On Modern Fighters and IL-2. Using the cards you are thinking about.

Im getting ready to go from a ATI-9700 Pro to a Nvidia 6800GT the framerate
jumps are pretty significant to look at Firing Squad.

PAPADOC

>I'm considering upgrading my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro to an ATI X800 and was
>wondering whether this would be worthwhile for racing sims and/or flight
>sims. Many of the latest sims have pretty hefty system and graphics
>specs, and I find that I can no longer run many of them at full graphics
>settings (at least not without having the framerate suffer drastically).
>
>So has anyone made the switch from a 9700Pro to an X800? If so, was it
>worthwhile? If no one has personal experience with this, then perhaps
>someone can provide me a link to an online comparison (preferably using
>racing or flight sims, but I'll take a looks at any comparison).
>
>I'm looking to maximize graphics without taking a framerate hit. This
>would be on an AthlonXP2600 system with 1 Meg Ram, if that matters.
>
>Thanks!

My Blog all about politics and the terror war.
www.papadoc.net/PinkFlamingoBar.html

The address might have been useful.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/powercolor_radeon_x800_xl/

>You might want to dig around Firing Squads site as they have benchmarks for both
>Lock On Modern Fighters and IL-2. Using the cards you are thinking about.
>
>Im getting ready to go from a ATI-9700 Pro to a Nvidia 6800GT the framerate
>jumps are pretty significant to look at Firing Squad.
>
>PAPADOC
>
>>I'm considering upgrading my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro to an ATI X800 and was
>>wondering whether this would be worthwhile for racing sims and/or flight
>>sims. Many of the latest sims have pretty hefty system and graphics
>>specs, and I find that I can no longer run many of them at full graphics
>>settings (at least not without having the framerate suffer drastically).
>>
>>So has anyone made the switch from a 9700Pro to an X800? If so, was it
>>worthwhile? If no one has personal experience with this, then perhaps
>>someone can provide me a link to an online comparison (preferably using
>>racing or flight sims, but I'll take a looks at any comparison).
>>
>>I'm looking to maximize graphics without taking a framerate hit. This
>>would be on an AthlonXP2600 system with 1 Meg Ram, if that matters.
>>
>>Thanks!
>
>My Blog all about politics and the terror war.
>www.papadoc.net/PinkFlamingoBar.html

My Blog all about politics and the terror war.
www.papadoc.net/PinkFlamingoBar.html

I went from a 9700 Pro to an X800 Pro and wasn't thoroughly impressed. So I
bumped up to an X800 XT Platinum and Jumpin Jehosefat Batman! This thing
runs circles around the SR-71...

"PAPADOC" <PAPADOC@jimbobs.drive.by> wrote in message
> You might want to dig around Firing Squads site as they have benchmarks
> for both
> Lock On Modern Fighters and IL-2. Using the cards you are thinking about.
>
> Im getting ready to go from a ATI-9700 Pro to a Nvidia 6800GT the
> framerate
> jumps are pretty significant to look at Firing Squad.
>
> PAPADOC
>
>>I'm considering upgrading my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro to an ATI X800 and was
>>wondering whether this would be worthwhile for racing sims and/or flight
>>sims. Many of the latest sims have pretty hefty system and graphics
>>specs, and I find that I can no longer run many of them at full graphics
>>settings (at least not without having the framerate suffer drastically).
>>
>>So has anyone made the switch from a 9700Pro to an X800? If so, was it
>>worthwhile? If no one has personal experience with this, then perhaps
>>someone can provide me a link to an online comparison (preferably using
>>racing or flight sims, but I'll take a looks at any comparison).
>>
>>I'm looking to maximize graphics without taking a framerate hit. This
>>would be on an AthlonXP2600 system with 1 Meg Ram, if that matters.
>>
>>Thanks!
>
> My Blog all about politics and the terror war.
> www.papadoc.net/PinkFlamingoBar.html

Oh yeah, and I didn't mention that I realize that the 9700 Pro has 128MB and
8 pipes, so the jump to 12 pipes was only slighlty significant at 1024x768
or lower resolutions. If you want 1600x1200 then you MUST go with an X800 XT
Platinum or a 6800GT. Actually I think the plain X800 XT is actually pretty
good too, but costs almost as much as the Platinum. If you can find the
Platinum any more...

PAPADOC wrote:

> You might want to dig around Firing Squads site as they have benchmarks
> for both Lock On Modern Fighters and IL-2. Using the cards you are
> thinking about.
>
> Im getting ready to go from a ATI-9700 Pro to a Nvidia 6800GT the
> framerate jumps are pretty significant to look at Firing Squad.
>
> PAPADOC
>
>>I'm considering upgrading my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro to an ATI X800 and was
>>wondering whether this would be worthwhile for racing sims and/or flight
>>sims. Many of the latest sims have pretty hefty system and graphics
>>specs, and I find that I can no longer run many of them at full graphics
>>settings (at least not without having the framerate suffer drastically).
>>
>>So has anyone made the switch from a 9700Pro to an X800? If so, was it
>>worthwhile? If no one has personal experience with this, then perhaps
>>someone can provide me a link to an online comparison (preferably using
>>racing or flight sims, but I'll take a looks at any comparison).
>>
>>I'm looking to maximize graphics without taking a framerate hit. This
>>would be on an AthlonXP2600 system with 1 Meg Ram, if that matters.
>>
>>Thanks!
>
> My Blog all about politics and the terror war.
> www.papadoc.net/PinkFlamingoBar.html

I just made that jump a couple weeks ago (9700P AIW to Pny 6800GT 256).
After an initial disappointment and wonder whether it could ever be worth
the bucks paid Im now reasonably satisfied. Took some tweaking (clocked it
to ultra speeds) re-installed XP turned off some of the redundant XP
services and its pretty dam good now. The video processor (mpeg2 hdw
accel) is still broken on the GT but supposedly a fix in the works.

NR2003 everything maxed, and I mean everything at 16x12 constant 60+. GTR
in the 40's but I turn down AA to 4x to get back to the 60s. Far Cry demo
is amazing and is what really sold me on shader 3.0 and this card. ATI
still has better AA though, but the drawbacks are no cards with shader 3
support and the X800 Pro has 12 pipes vs the GTs 16. And most important
its a GT. Anything with GT in its mane has proven good :)

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

I have an ATI X800 Pro and couldn't be happier with all of my
games. I didn't have a 9700, but I went from a P4-2.4Ghz with
512MB ram and a MX420 video card to a P4-3.06Ghz w/HT
and 1GB of ram and an ATI X800 Pro. The difference was
astonishing. I have no intention of getting the X800 platnimum.

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

"Mitch_A" <naman@pacbell.nospam.net> wrote in

> its a GT. Anything with GT in its mane has proven good :)

Two of 'em's even better!...Sorry, just felt a sudden compulsive urge to
gloat... ? )

--
Toosmoky
Ride the Penguin...

Toosmoky wrote:

> "Mitch_A" <naman@pacbell.nospam.net> wrote in
>
>> its a GT. Anything with GT in its mane has proven good :)
>
> Two of 'em's even better!...Sorry, just felt a sudden compulsive urge to
> gloat... ? )

The way things are looking my next upgrade might include dual core CPUs and
SLI PCI-E video. mmm mmmm good :)

Now if only the devs would take advantage of this hardware instead of
NR2003.01 or better known as NSR :) Only RFactor seems to have a good
handle on realistic environmental effects. Its amazing racing in the late
afternoon and I can only imagine a smooth transition from day to dusk to
night

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.