Sign in with
Your question

A notice for Sony Floppy Drive owners...

Last response: in Components
October 18, 2002 9:38:29 PM

Well, I finally solved my rounded floppy cable fiasco. It turns out, Sony (those wonderful people) decided that when they made floppy drives, that they would put pin 1 I guess you could call it, on the opposite side of the cable connect on the back of the floppy drive. So basically, I had to cut off the little piece in the middle of the floppy cable to be able to properly connect my floppy drive so it would get detected. Just a heads up on the shoddy manufacturing of sony floppy drives. :) 

[If loving AMD processors is the path to the Dark Side, consider me a Sith Lord. (dinoX aka Black Dog)]
October 19, 2002 5:01:09 AM

d00d, ALL 3.5" floppy drives I've ever seen had pin 1 on the opposite side as compared to IDE drives, and I've owned virtually every 3.5" floppy known to man. It's the standard way of doing things, congratulate Sony for sticking with industry standards, it's your CABLE that was made wrong!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
October 19, 2002 11:24:42 AM

WRONG. The cable itself is fine. I've gone thru 3 totally different rounded floppy cables, and all had given me the same problem with the drive, all had the pin on the normal side. It is kind of hard to believe that three totally different floppy cables from 3 totally different manufacturers would give me the same exact problem. I stuck in a mitsumi floppy drive that we had spare lying around, and it worked. Why? Sony is NOT sticking with the industry standard on their floppy drives.

[If loving AMD processors is the path to the Dark Side, consider me a Sith Lord. (dinoX aka Black Dog)]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dinoX on 10/19/02 02:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
October 19, 2002 6:33:16 PM

I did not have problem with my SONY floopy dirve. I just use regular cable come with my MB. The drive is a OEM I get from my old SONY computer.
October 19, 2002 7:38:55 PM

? All my Alpin, Epson, Mitsumi, Panasonic, Sony, Teac, and lesser known brands of drives have had Pin 1 on the right (eject button) side, which would be the left side when you face the back. All my IDE drives have had Pin 1 on the left side, ie the right side when you face the back. Did you get your hands on a weird floppy with pin 1 on the same side as the IDE drives?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
!