CH Products or Cougar?

I have $70 in credits at Amazon.com and am looking to purchase either the
Thrustmaster Cougar or the CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Rudders
combination. The price is not much different between the two except for the
fact that I believe I could use my CH gamport pedals with the Cougar and I
would need to get USB pedals with the CH setup.

I've heard a lot of negative things about the Cougar but I'm technically
minded and don't have a problem monkeying with it to get it to work
properly.

Anybody have any recommendations? Preferably from those who have used/owned
both.

By the way, I originally bought the Saitek X-52 thinking for the price ($35
with all the credits I had) it would be the best choice. There were all
kinds of problems with it from huge dead zones to not being recognized by
the computer at times. So it went back to Amazon.

"Jim Moody" <tjmoody@sbcglobak.net> wrote in message
>I have $70 in credits at Amazon.com and am looking to purchase either the
>Thrustmaster Cougar or the CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Rudders
>combination. The price is not much different between the two except for the
>fact that I believe I could use my CH gamport pedals with the Cougar and I
>would need to get USB pedals with the CH setup.

I've owned both setups and greatly prefer the CH combo over the Cougar. The
programming wasn't an issue for me, I just found the feel of the CH gear to
be superior despite the plastic construction. The Cougar is too tightly
sprung for my tastes, with very uneven force needed to move the joystick,
particularly in the corners, and therefore very inaccurate to use in sims.

Jarg

In article <mzYMd.1928$aW6.1583@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>,
scott_harrington@sbcglobal.net (Jarg) wrote:

> The Cougar is too tightly sprung for my tastes, with very uneven
> force needed to move the joystick, particularly in the corners,
> and therefore very inaccurate to use in sims.

I'm going to take this rare opportunity to agree with you 100% on
something ;-)

The Cougar with major mods that more than double its price is probably the
perfect HOTAS. But making it into a good tool for controlling an aircraft
isn't a trivial matter. Those with forearms like Popeye or a masochistic
streak may disagree.

Andrew McP

Switched from a Cougar to CH and havent ever regretted it. It is simply too much
bother to get the Cougar to work right because the major problems with it are
poor decisions made when it was designed.

PAPADOC

>I have $70 in credits at Amazon.com and am looking to purchase either the
>Thrustmaster Cougar or the CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Rudders
>combination. The price is not much different between the two except for the
>fact that I believe I could use my CH gamport pedals with the Cougar and I
>would need to get USB pedals with the CH setup.
>
>I've heard a lot of negative things about the Cougar but I'm technically
>minded and don't have a problem monkeying with it to get it to work
>properly.
>
>Anybody have any recommendations? Preferably from those who have used/owned
>both.
>
>By the way, I originally bought the Saitek X-52 thinking for the price ($35
>with all the credits I had) it would be the best choice. There were all
>kinds of problems with it from huge dead zones to not being recognized by
>the computer at times. So it went back to Amazon.

My Blog all about politics and the terror war.
www.papadoc.net/PinkFlamingoBar.html

I had a Cougar, it broke and Guillmot screwed me around for months to
get a simple part. In fact, I know of several Cougars right now
sitting broken. I sold mine and bought all CH Pro gear and love it.
Its bee a year so far and they are still 100% perfect. I don't believe
your pedals will work, but check with the guys at
http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/ to get the final word on that.

Oh, and I have had TM gear (when it really WAS TM) for well over ten
years and loved it. Guillmot killed Thrustmaster as we knew it. Go CH!

Icer

>On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:13:59 GMT, "Jim Moody" <tjmoody@sbcglobak.net> wrote:
>I have $70 in credits at Amazon.com and am looking to purchase either the
>Thrustmaster Cougar or the CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Rudders
>combination. The price is not much different between the two except for the
>fact that I believe I could use my CH gamport pedals with the Cougar and I
>would need to get USB pedals with the CH setup.
>
>I've heard a lot of negative things about the Cougar but I'm technically
>minded and don't have a problem monkeying with it to get it to work
>properly.
>
>Anybody have any recommendations? Preferably from those who have used/owned
>both.
>
>By the way, I originally bought the Saitek X-52 thinking for the price ($35
>with all the credits I had) it would be the best choice. There were all
>kinds of problems with it from huge dead zones to not being recognized by
>the computer at times. So it went back to Amazon.

If you don't have a problem "monkeying" with it to get it work properly (and
if you don't have problem to pay for some of this extra stuff, like Haal
Sensors indtead of pots), the Cougar is a superb stick. And with the latest
software, almost all the problems with disconnections from time to time are
gone.... my last disconnection was +/- 6 weeks ago, plug out, plug in,
problem solved!!!

--
Lange,
666th Black Brigade

"Jim Moody" <tjmoody@sbcglobak.net> schreef in bericht
>I have $70 in credits at Amazon.com and am looking to purchase either the
>Thrustmaster Cougar or the CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Rudders
>combination. The price is not much different between the two except for the
>fact that I believe I could use my CH gamport pedals with the Cougar and I
>would need to get USB pedals with the CH setup.
>
> I've heard a lot of negative things about the Cougar but I'm technically
> minded and don't have a problem monkeying with it to get it to work
> properly.
>
> Anybody have any recommendations? Preferably from those who have
> used/owned both.
>
> By the way, I originally bought the Saitek X-52 thinking for the price
> ($35 with all the credits I had) it would be the best choice. There were
> all kinds of problems with it from huge dead zones to not being recognized
> by the computer at times. So it went back to Amazon.

Terrible spelling errors, here's a better version:

If you don't have a problem "monkeying" with it to get it work properly (and
if you don't have problems to pay for some of this extra stuff, like Hall
Sensors instead of pot's), the Cougar is a superb stick. And with the latest
software, almost all the problems with disconnections from time to time are
gone.... my last disconnection was +/- 6 weeks ago, plug out, plug in,
problem solved!!!

--
Lange,
666th Black Brigade
http://www.666th.com
ICQ: 15439346

"Jim Moody" <tjmoody@sbcglobak.net> schreef in bericht
>I have $70 in credits at Amazon.com and am looking to purchase either the
>Thrustmaster Cougar or the CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Rudders
>combination. The price is not much different between the two except for the
>fact that I believe I could use my CH gamport pedals with the Cougar and I
>would need to get USB pedals with the CH setup.
>
> I've heard a lot of negative things about the Cougar but I'm technically
> minded and don't have a problem monkeying with it to get it to work
> properly.
>
> Anybody have any recommendations? Preferably from those who have
> used/owned both.
>
> By the way, I originally bought the Saitek X-52 thinking for the price
> ($35 with all the credits I had) it would be the best choice. There were
> all kinds of problems with it from huge dead zones to not being recognized
> by the computer at times. So it went back to Amazon.

jp

For it's price, you shouldn't have to monkey with anything to have it work
correctly.

"Lange" <lange@arodnap<--reverse_this.be> wrote in message
> Terrible spelling errors, here's a better version:
>
> If you don't have a problem "monkeying" with it to get it work properly
(and
> if you don't have problems to pay for some of this extra stuff, like Hall
> Sensors instead of pot's), the Cougar is a superb stick. And with the
latest
> software, almost all the problems with disconnections from time to time
are
> gone.... my last disconnection was +/- 6 weeks ago, plug out, plug in,
> problem solved!!!
>

> --
> Lange,
> 666th Black Brigade
> http://www.666th.com
> ICQ: 15439346
>

> "Jim Moody" <tjmoody@sbcglobak.net> schreef in bericht
> >I have $70 in credits at Amazon.com and am looking to purchase either the
> >Thrustmaster Cougar or the CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Rudders
> >combination. The price is not much different between the two except for
the
> >fact that I believe I could use my CH gamport pedals with the Cougar and
> >would need to get USB pedals with the CH setup.
> >
> > I've heard a lot of negative things about the Cougar but I'm technically
> > minded and don't have a problem monkeying with it to get it to work
> > properly.
> >
> > Anybody have any recommendations? Preferably from those who have
> > used/owned both.
> >
> > By the way, I originally bought the Saitek X-52 thinking for the price
> > ($35 with all the credits I had) it would be the best choice. There were
> > all kinds of problems with it from huge dead zones to not being
recognized
> > by the computer at times. So it went back to Amazon.

I have been using my stock Cougar hotas , since I purchased it about 3 years
ago, ( I think, just a few months after they came out), and it still works
fine to this day.
I did not have to pay anything, to get it to work properly. I think it is a
great Hotas, for me. So much so, about a year ago I purchased another , and
it still sets new in the box.

I have ordered the Uber2 nxt gimball mod, along with the hall sensors for
the stick and throttle. The mod is being mfg now, and will be shipping
sometime next week.
I did this not because I needed it to get it to work properly, but because I
wanted to make what I consider a great stick even that much better. Yes, it
has strong springs, and transition flats. Never really bothered me that
much, but I look foward to softer springs and no flats. Undoubtedly it will
help my gunnery skills in dogfights better.

The first Cougar I paid 299.00.
The second I paid 239.00

Imho, that is not a bad price at all for what you get. I paid more for my
old F16 FLCS and TQS. Of course, the price of the gimball mod along with the
hall sensors will very significantly add to my overall cost. But, I figure,
It is going to last me for a very long time...

Having said that, I would recommend for anyone considering the Cougar:
If any way possible, find someone near you that has one, and give it a test
run. I know this may be difficult. but your not going to find them in stores
most likely to try out. If you cannot , and do get one, give it a little
time before deciding whether it is a keeper. If it is still not, shouldn't
be much trouble selling it at a reduced price. There is still a strong
following for the Cougars.
Check out the forums and info at http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/ . There is
much there you can read up on for the Cougar.

If you are not serious long term on your flight simming, then the Cougar is
probably not for you. Or you might even consider buying one off ebay or
elsewhere second hand.

I also have heard nothing but good things about the CH Fighterstick Pro
setup. I may even get one of these some day just to compare and see how I
like it. I do not hear of people complaining about the CH setup, and I know
some here have switched from the Cougar to the CH and are glad they did.

I kind of view the difference between the two as this:

The Cougar, as a stock Hotas setup, has a smaller but very dedicated
community. Many have no qualms with spending more money to make it even
better ( not to work properly, but to make better)., as is evidenced by the
mods and extras being made for it by this same community. If TM had
supplied it, with the parts that are being made now by a few guys in the
community, it would have been way out of price range to sell as a stock
Hotas.
I view the Cougar as an excellent foundation to start with, way above par,
with some innards that are only about par at best.
If you are a racing sim enthusiast, you can almost compare the Cougar to GPL
:).

The CH Hotas, much more common and satisfies most who purchase it. While it
won't have the same cold steel and solid feeling, it makes a great setup
for even the most serious of simmers. For me, I really like that cold steel
and solid feeling, and doubt I would like going back to plastic as much.
I view the CH as a great stick to have , with good foundation and good
innards, that undoubtedly will last a long time as well.

I cannot speak of the difference in programmability, as I have not seen the
CH's. I can say the software and programmability of the Cougar is excellent
and very diverse. I love to get in there and mess around with programming
for my flight sims, and getting it to where it truly is a HOTAS for me,
having never have to hit the keyboard until I exit the sim :).

Hope this helps in some way,

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."

JP wrote:
> For it's price, you shouldn't have to monkey with anything to have
> it work correctly.
>

> "Lange" <lange@arodnap<--reverse_this.be> wrote in message
>> Terrible spelling errors, here's a better version:
>>
>> If you don't have a problem "monkeying" with it to get it work
>> properly (and if you don't have problems to pay for some of this
>> extra stuff, like Hall Sensors instead of pot's), the Cougar is a
>> superb stick. And with the latest software, almost all the problems
>> with disconnections from time to time are gone.... my last
>> disconnection was +/- 6 weeks ago, plug out, plug in, problem
>> solved!!!
>>

>> --
>> Lange,
>> 666th Black Brigade
>> http://www.666th.com
>> ICQ: 15439346
>>

>> "Jim Moody" <tjmoody@sbcglobak.net> schreef in bericht
>>> I have $70 in credits at Amazon.com and am looking to purchase
>>> either the Thrustmaster Cougar or the CH Fighterstick/Pro
>>> Throttle/Pro Rudders combination. The price is not much different
>>> between the two except for the fact that I believe I could use my
>>> CH gamport pedals with the Cougar and I would need to get USB
>>> pedals with the CH setup.
>>>
>>> I've heard a lot of negative things about the Cougar but I'm
>>> technically minded and don't have a problem monkeying with it to
>>> get it to work properly.
>>>
>>> Anybody have any recommendations? Preferably from those who have
>>> used/owned both.
>>>
>>> By the way, I originally bought the Saitek X-52 thinking for the
>>> price ($35 with all the credits I had) it would be the best choice.
>>> There were all kinds of problems with it from huge dead zones to
>>> not being recognized by the computer at times. So it went back to
>>> Amazon.

> For it's price, you shouldn't have to monkey with anything to have it
> work
> correctly.

100% true but what if you did buy one and it didn't live up to expectations?
Trow it out of the window? The simply "take it back to the shop" is
something which doesn't work here. Once buyed, it stayes buyed. So i
monkeyed around a bit and put in some extra cash and now have a superb
setup.
And i'm not willing to change it with any other Saitek or CH product. Not
even if they put extra money beside it.

--
Lange,
666th Black Brigade

Arny

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2005

"Jim Moody" <tjmoody@sbcglobak.net> wrote in message

Snip

I believe I could use my CH gamport pedals with the Cougar and I
> would need to get USB pedals with the CH setup.

I bought a cheep Rat Shack USB to Gameport adapter for my CH gameport Pro
Pedals. Works fine with my CH stick when the pedals are configured as a
separate controller in the game, though CH Control Manager doesn't recognize
them.

Don Burnette wrote:

> [...]
> :).
>
> The CH Hotas, much more common and satisfies most who purchase it. While
> it
> won't have the same cold steel and solid feeling, it makes a great setup
> for even the most serious of simmers. For me, I really like that cold
> steel and solid feeling, and doubt I would like going back to plastic as
> much. I view the CH as a great stick to have , with good foundation and
> good innards, that undoubtedly will last a long time as well.
>

> I cannot speak of the difference in programmability, as I have not seen
> the CH's. I can say the software and programmability of the Cougar is
> excellent and very diverse. I love to get in there and mess around with
> programming for my flight sims, and getting it to where it truly is a
> HOTAS for me, having never have to hit the keyboard until I exit the sim

Im with you Don. While not perfect it isnt nearly as bad as many make it
out to be.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

Just wait until you're tried that U2 with Hall's Don... it will make it
awesome.

--
Lange,
666th Black Brigade

"Mitch_A" <naman@pacbell.nospam.net> schreef in bericht
> [...]
>> won't have the same cold steel and solid feeling, it makes a great setup
>> for even the most serious of simmers. For me, I really like that cold
>> steel and solid feeling, and doubt I would like going back to plastic as
>> much. I view the CH as a great stick to have , with good foundation and
>> good innards, that undoubtedly will last a long time as well.
>>

>> I cannot speak of the difference in programmability, as I have not seen
>> the CH's. I can say the software and programmability of the Cougar is
>> excellent and very diverse. I love to get in there and mess around with
>> programming for my flight sims, and getting it to where it truly is a
>> HOTAS for me, having never have to hit the keyboard until I exit the sim
>> :).
>>
>> Hope this helps in some way,
>>

> Im with you Don. While not perfect it isnt nearly as bad as many make it

I know, that is what I hear. I am very much looking foward to it, and will
let y'all know what I perceive the difference to be.

Don

Lange wrote:
> [...]
>>> While it
>>> won't have the same cold steel and solid feeling, it makes a great
>>> setup for even the most serious of simmers. For me, I really like
>>> that cold steel and solid feeling, and doubt I would like going
>>> back to plastic as much. I view the CH as a great stick to have ,
>>> with good foundation and good innards, that undoubtedly will last a
>>> long time as well. I cannot speak of the difference in programmability,
>>> as I have not
>>> seen the CH's. I can say the software and programmability of the
>>> Cougar is excellent and very diverse. I love to get in there and
>>> mess around with programming for my flight sims, and getting it to
>>> where it truly is a HOTAS for me, having never have to hit the
>>> keyboard until I exit the sim :).
>>>
>>> Hope this helps in some way,
>>>

>> Im with you Don. While not perfect it isnt nearly as bad as many

NP,

i modded mine myself with a 4-springer based on Scamps idea. Photo's of my
mod are still in the Mods & Tweaks condensed area on the Frugals Forums. But
then i saw IJ's work and went for one of his U2's. Got a place in the first
slot, and still have not had a single regret since... very nice piece of
work.

--
Lange,
666th Black Brigade

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message

> The first Cougar I paid 299.00.
> The second I paid 239.00

OUCH! My $50.00 Saitek X45 is looking better and better all the time... :)

Wayno

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2005

Get the Ch. I returned my Cougar within 30 days of trying to make it
function "like a control stick". The Ch worked for me right out of the box
and the complete HOTAS has been without any flaws (or repairs) over the past
2 years!

James Calivar wrote:
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> The first Cougar I paid 299.00.
>> The second I paid 239.00
>>

> OUCH! My $50.00 Saitek X45 is looking better and better all the
> time... :)

Lol, then you don't even want to know what I will have invested in that
first one once the Uber2 NXT arrives, along with the hall sensors for
joystick and throttle.
:)

Damn, I do love flight simming...

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

TwoBells

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

"JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> For it's price, you shouldn't have to monkey with anything to have it
> work
> correctly.

I've never monkeyed around with my kitty and its the best HOTAS setup I've
ever owned and I've owned a few...;-)

TwoBells

"TwoBells" <journalist1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > For it's price, you shouldn't have to monkey with anything to have it
> > work
> > correctly.
>

> I've never monkeyed around with my kitty and its the best HOTAS setup I've
> ever owned and I've owned a few...;-)
>
> TwoBells

Then you're one of the *very, very* few, who hasn't had to :)

TwoBells wrote:
> "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> For it's price, you shouldn't have to monkey with anything to have
>> it work
>> correctly.
>

> I've never monkeyed around with my kitty and its the best HOTAS setup
> I've ever owned and I've owned a few...;-)
>
> TwoBells

Ditto here, mine has been going strong for 3+ years now, love it - and, will
be installing the Uber2 NXT gimbal mod today - woohoo! - along with the Hall
Sensors for joystick and throttle. Not to get it to work correctly, but to
make an great hotas even better!

--

JP wrote:

> "TwoBells" <journalist1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > For it's price, you shouldn't have to monkey with anything to have it
>> > work
>> > correctly.
>>

>> I've never monkeyed around with my kitty and its the best HOTAS setup
>> I've ever owned and I've owned a few...;-)
>>
>> TwoBells
>

> Then you're one of the *very, very* few, who hasn't had to :)

A "few" big mouths make it seem that way JP but I assure you many of us are
very happy with our Cougars.

Im not saying it better or worse than the CH stuff but many of us are
satisfied.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

I havent denigrated anyone who has enjoyed their cougar in this thread but count
on you to attack those of us who didnt like the cougar.

Poseurs seem to enjoy denigrating others to make themselves feel like real men.
Like those guys who go on about how realistic IL-2 is and how much more
realistic Flanker was than F-15.

PAPADOC