Helping Friend

jp2_26

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Hello, inexperienced person here, but wanting to learn and thankful for this forum!

Ok, what I am trying to do is help a friend. Because I have done a little web design for him he has come to me with a networking problem. However, I know little to nil about networking.

-He owns restaurant.
-Wants to run Pandora on outside dining area for patrons through a Blue-Ray to a TV.
-Wants it wired.

-Have not been there yet to (try to) troubleshoot myself. But I have a feeling I'll end up here anyway.

-The POS (machine they take orders on) (Windows XP OS) connects to 2wire modem/router provided by DSL company.

-Then runs to what he says is a Netgear ethernet switch through drop ceiling.

-Then runs to the Sony Blue-Ray, connected to TV.

-Says it detects the connection but no internet.

-What could be the most common cause that I might try. Says Network diagnostics function on Blue-Ray menu does say make sure DHCP is enabled.

so the POS connects to the 2wire and has internet, right?
the Netgear connects to the 2wire, right?
the Blue-ray connects to the Netgear, right?

if the answers are YES to all three, then check if the Netgear is powered on and has link lights for the ports that are connected.

check the network cable if you can with a laptop to see if you can get internet.

jp2_26

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Yes.
Yes.
Yes. To all three....

He did try his laptop where the Blue-Ray is now connected. Didn't work.

I assume next is to try laptop at NetGear switch. And, yes, the NetGear is powered on and the lights the ports which are connected. The lights flash rapidly.

If the laptop does not work at the switch (ruling out the cable itself), then what would be the next option to try?

edit:
He has also sent me a picture of the labels on the devices:
The 2 wire model is: 2701HG-B
The NetGear switch is: FS605NA

test the network cable coming from the 2wire to the netgear with the laptop

if that test GOOD, disconnect every cable from the switch but the cable from the 2wire. the light of the connection on the switch should blink more then every 3 to 4sec.

then take a network cable (known to be good) and connect the laptop to the switch. If the laptop works the switch should be okay.

are there any other devices connected to the switch besides the blue-ray?

jp2_26

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012

Emerald, thanks for coming in man!

- The cable is good from 2wire to Netgear
- He tried to plug laptop in directly to Netgear switch, did not work.
- Nothing else connect (at this moment) other than the Blue-Ray.

Driving me crazy. I don't know what the fix is. The NetGear switch is brand new.

I wanted to just test by bringing my regular ol' router from my house and replace the NetGear switch with it, then the thought occurred to me that there will be two routers connected and that won't work.. or, at least I don't know how to configure two wireless routers on one network.

Is the answer somewhere in the DHCP settings of the 2wire modem/router? IF SO, what settings need to be changed?

HELP

If the router is actually a router and not just a modem, you should not have to change anything in DHCP. Does the laptop work OK if you connect it to the cable that the Netgear is connected on? If yes, the netgear or the cable from the port on it is bad, or maybe just the port you are using. If the laptop does not work on the cable, that cable is bad, or the 2wire router is not working right, or maybe not even setup for DHCP. What IP do you get when you hook up the devices to the switch and/or the 2wire router directly?