Need a new modem

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
My old modem has just died... I have a house with walls that are old and block the signal a lot... I need a modem that can go through thick wall and downstairs/upstairs with fast speed... Thank you for your help! :D

scottiemedic

Distinguished
2.4 and 5GHz are the only ones 'allowed' by the FCC.

What booster are you using right now? What router does it connect to? And by 'modem' can I assume you mean the wireless booster or the router? Or am I missing something? And what does 'death' look like in the 'modem', what happened, errors, lack of power, lack of signal, etc etc.

Can you describe exactly how you receive your internet from the time it hits your home to the point it plugs into your computer or are you using the booster off someone else unsecured network?

I know, a lot of questions, but it's like taking a car to the mechanic and just saying 'It's making a noise'. Hope ya understand, not trying to bust your chops :)

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
LMFAO nice metaphore :lol:

1) Linksus E2500 Cisco(my router) RE1000(booster)
2) connects to internet line(not optic and we use comcast)
3) router
4) Stops sending messages cannot connect on it... im using a old router right now
5) Can i describe it... ill try
starts from box outside
goes to box(receiver inside)
ethernet to router
router sends the signal to the booster
I have a ethernet cable in the booster to my desktop

Thanks for the help! :D

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Since your booster is only 2.4GHz, I'd look at routers that are single band. It will save a few bucks. You might go back to Linksys just for compatibility sake and interoperability. Since you don't need gigabit ports on the router either, I'd look at the E1200 http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Routers/Linksys-E1200-WirelessN-Router_stcVVproductId129966524VVviewprod.htm . You might also find a WRT160N cheap (the predecessor to the E line)

If you want to brave operability, you can also look at Netgear's WNR1500, http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/simplesharing/WNR1500.aspx or WNR2000 http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/work-and-play/WNR2000.aspx

scottiemedic

Distinguished
The one I know if that I feel is the 'best' is the Netgear WNDR3700. It is dual band, only N600 (the newer ones are 900), but scores consistently better than any other router out there for speed both close and over distance. It's the one I'd own if I had the extra cash to get it right now. They can be had for around $100 new at most stores, $90 new and $70 refurbed on newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=wndr3700&x=0&y=0

scottiemedic

Distinguished
I've never heard of the company, and that one is only single band (2.4GHz). If you aren't worried about money, I'd look at dual band at least for future upgradeability...

Looking on newegg, there are a lot of new models I haven't heard anything about. For research, I'd look into the companies website (EnGenius) and see what kind of firmware releasing they do, make sure they are active in improving the firmware, unless you plan on using like a dd-wrt, then I'd check for it's compatibility.

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Further, if it was me, I'd stick to the 'big' companies like Linksys, Netgear or D-Link. There is a lot of info on them, should you need help. Other than the dual band, the best advice I think I can give (since you shot down my WNDR3700, haha) is to find something with the dual band then look for something aesthetically pleasing, whether it be internal antennae, gloss look, whatever the case may be, since a router actually has potential to be seen.

IE, for me, I like internal antennae and have mine mounted on a wall to face the majority of my house, but it's in a closet, so I don't care if it's blue black purple or white, as long as it's sleek and hugs the wall good so my cable modem tucks in nicely next to it (yeah, I'm a little AR).

Hope that helps also. A little vague, I know, but other than the dual band requirement for me, the next step is compatibility, usability and aesthetics.

Might also look into www.dd-wrt.com and compare the ones you like against their database. I have a Linksys WRT160N (single band, low end), and loading the dd firmware improved my router speed and range tremendously over Linksys' releases.

(Edited for typos)

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
lol yeah... also i mean i could get a cheaper one(so like one of the ones you recommended, maybe just get the one that i have now again) and then buy a nice range extender or multiple do you know of any maybe if its even possible if there is a 5ghz extender/booster?

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Yeah, that would work, since it runs dual band. I was going to say I didn't know of any off the top of my head. My network has worked to the point I haven't needed an extender, and when I get the 3700, I plan on using my old WRT160 as an extender. Since it's single band, I can use it to increase range on 2.4 for regular ole web browsing, and use the 5GHz when I'm in closer proximity for games and multimedia.

I think the combo of the new router and the dual band extender will work very nice!! Makes me kinda jealous :)

scottiemedic

Distinguished
That I don't know. I would think technically you could, but they might interfere with each other as they will both be on the same bands simultaneously. You could assign subnets differently, but you can't have one running at one frequency set while the other runs at a different set. The router can only output one set of frequencies at a time. I'd get the first set running good, then try and introduce the second extender and do some speed test before and after...

scottiemedic

Distinguished
I think in the grand scheme of things, that (all new gear) would be more effective, since the extender you have now is single band. I wouldn't trash the old one yet... Use it to test if the 2 extender idea will work. If it does, then order the second dual band extender and mail me your old one :)