Windows 7 wont install

Chuck707

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Hi there guys, I've been a reader on these forums for a while but this is my first post :)

I've recently built my new pc and the construction went well and everything was straightforward. When I've come to install windows I've hit a problem, it just wont install. Ill detail the problem after the specs:

Intel i5 2500k
ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3
Gigabyte GTX560Ti OC
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue SATA III
OCZ ZS 550w
8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz (2x4GB)

The windows version is Win7 Home Premium 64-bit

When I'm installing Windows 7 the install works perfectly up to the restart after which the "completing installation" process becomes active. This works for about 1 minute but then the pc freezes, the mouse and keyboard goes dead and the installation stops. I've tried using only 1 stick of RAM and I've also tried removing the keyboard and mouse mid way through the installation, neither of which have worked.

The installation works if I put the hard drive and Windows disk into my old computer but this is causing me other problems down the line when Windows actually works.

Could it be something simple like a dodgy SATA cable on my optical drive or has anyone experienced this problem before? Any help/suggestions would be great. Thanks very much :)

Chuck707

Honorable
May 12, 2012
I've got it working with a combination of:

New SATA cables from optical drive
Different SATA ports on the motherboard
Changed the RAM Slots to 2 and 4
Removed all non essential hardware that was plugged in
Disabled the GPU in Device Manager

Thanks for the help and suggestions!!