Best PCI video card?

Hello,

my friend has a old Pentium III PC with intergrated sound and video. It's
fairly easy to find a good sound card to upgrade to, but obviously, in
this age of AGP and PCI-X it's gonna be harder to find a PCI video card.
I was thinking I might hunt on eBay and see what's going, but I wanted
suggestions on what I should look for. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
--
Widya Santoso wsantoso@nyx.net +61 2 6288-0405
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep

"Widya Santoso" <wsantoso@nyx.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> my friend has a old Pentium III PC with intergrated sound and video. It's
> fairly easy to find a good sound card to upgrade to, but obviously, in
> this age of AGP and PCI-X it's gonna be harder to find a PCI video card.
> I was thinking I might hunt on eBay and see what's going, but I wanted
> suggestions on what I should look for. Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --
> Widya Santoso wsantoso@nyx.net +61 2 6288-0405
> The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep
> And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep
> -- Stopping by woods on a Snowy Evening - Robert Frost

Depends on what your friend what's to do with his computer/video card. Is
he wanting something to handle some flight sims, play games, .... ?

The GeForce 4 Ti4200 is a pretty good video card. Or maybe the ATI 9000
series.

Here's some links that show several video cards and their overall specs.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020418/index.html

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030120/vgacharts-01.html

Also, have you used PriceWatch before? You can use it to get a feel for
what the retail price of a pc component is selling for.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

And I like NewEgg for ordering parts.

www.newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

"OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> writes:

>Depends on what your friend what's to do with his computer/video card. Is
>he wanting something to handle some flight sims, play games, .... ?

He's mainly a gamer, but doesn't earn much, so he can't afford some of the
souped up speedsters some of the readers here have. That's all right
though, he likes the older games anyway. I haven't got him aloft yet, but
hopefully he'll take off soon.

>The GeForce 4 Ti4200 is a pretty good video card. Or maybe the ATI 9000
>series.

Thanks!

>Here's some links that show several video cards and their overall specs.

I'll check the links you sent me. I appreciate the fast response!
--
Widya Santoso wsantoso@nyx.net +61 2 6288-0405
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep
-- Stopping by woods on a Snowy Evening - Robert Frost

3DFX Voodoo 5000s are cheap now!
Excellent card for older games. The newsgroup hfx.forsale had a number of
them for sale recently ($30 CDN).