Install service packs straight away?

rocknroll0237

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Is it possible to just install a service pack as soon as you install Windows 7, or do you have to install a bunch of smaller updates first?

Cheers,

Cam

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
You can install the service pack right away although its recommended you do the small updates first so it doesn't have any small issues afterwards. For example this occurs in windows XP if you upgrade from SP1 to SP3 skipping 2 causes problems.

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I usually slipstream the service pack directly into the installation media and then I don't have to deal with it in the first place. I have done this for years since Windows XP which I still have my copy with SP3 on it directly which btw never caused me a single issue. There is nothing wrong with installing the service pack first, generally it helps the service pack install without issues.

rocknroll0237

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Cheers for the replies. Max1s, you can install the service pack via a browser, it doesn't have to be through windows update.
"I usually slipstream the service pack directly into the installation media and then I don't have to deal with it in the first place" what do you mean exactly?

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Well XP is slightly different at service packs such as service pack 3 not containing the same updates that 2 has so if you forget to install 2 before 3 it will cause issues such as .netfx and others but it can be fixed by updating afterwards although its usually faster to install 2 then 3 in that case.

Windows 7 on the other hand im not sure about i would have thought microsoft would've made it pretty foolproof to install the service pack first.