Mig Alley - WinXP Pro install problem

I installed MA years ago on Win98, upgraded to WinXP Pro and MA ran fine.
Last week I had to Format C and re-install XP and am now re-installing my
games but MA won't finish installing. It gets to 83% and bombs with a
reference to 'not being able to open file DIR.DIR', which I see exists in 2
MA directories.

Is there a way around this?

The easier waqy round it is to INSTALL in Win98 compatibility mode.
But do not run it in compatibility mode.

The other way is to install on a Win98 computer and copy the directory
tree over.

Bye bye,
Wolfram.

Hey thanks, it worked. It's not running yet, some colour issues it seems,
but it installed fine. It was loaded under Win98 and carried on working fine
after I upgraded to WinXP, but other issues forced a format C.

Sigh....... the irony...... I am (was) running a duel boot XP/98 PC until I
had to format the WinXP partition a few days ago and can no longer boot in
Win98. I can see it, touch it, feel it, smell it, but not run it. I would
have installed Mig Alley under Win98 alongside my other older... and now
stranded.... game collection e.g. USAF. Sadly reaching the 'format D and
forget em' stage pretty quickly.

"Wolfram Kuss" <wolfram.kuss@t-online.de> wrote in message
> The easier waqy round it is to INSTALL in Win98 compatibility mode.
> But do not run it in compatibility mode.
>
> The other way is to install on a Win98 computer and copy the directory
> tree over.
>
> Bye bye,
> Wolfram.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:18:18 +0200, "Doug_Dread"
<doug.d@absamail.co.za> wrote:

>Hey thanks, it worked. It's not running yet, some colour issues it seems,
>but it installed fine. It was loaded under Win98 and carried on working fine
>after I upgraded to WinXP, but other issues forced a format C.
>
>Sigh....... the irony...... I am (was) running a duel boot XP/98 PC until I
>had to format the WinXP partition a few days ago and can no longer boot in
>Win98. I can see it, touch it, feel it, smell it, but not run it. I would
>have installed Mig Alley under Win98 alongside my other older... and now
>stranded.... game collection e.g. USAF. Sadly reaching the 'format D and
>forget em' stage pretty quickly.

That's odd... From what I've read, XP should've automatically
recognized your 98 partition and allowed you to boot into it from the
boot menu at startup, as long as 98 was installed before XP. MS
"recommends" the partitions be on separate drives, though.

I just went through a pain in th a** install of XP over MS-DOS So I
could get all nostalgic over old games:)

If you feel confident and competent, there is an awful lot of info out
there on editing your boot.ini file. That's how I got my "you can't do
that" dual install of XP to work. But be *very* careful. This is
something you *don't* want to get wrong.

Villain

"If I hear 'Yo, bogie dudes' one more time, I'm going to empty my gun
into some surfer butt!"

>>Sigh....... the irony...... I am (was) running a duel boot XP/98 PC until
>>had to format the WinXP partition a few days ago and can no longer boot in
>>Win98. I can see it, touch it, feel it, smell it, but not run it. I would
>>have installed Mig Alley under Win98 alongside my other older... and now
>>stranded.... game collection e.g. USAF. Sadly reaching the 'format D and
>>forget em' stage pretty quickly.
>
> That's odd... From what I've read, XP should've automatically
> recognized your 98 partition and allowed you to boot into it from the
> boot menu at startup, as long as 98 was installed before XP. MS
> "recommends" the partitions be on separate drives, though.
>
> I just went through a pain in th a** install of XP over MS-DOS So I
> could get all nostalgic over old games:)
>
> If you feel confident and competent, there is an awful lot of info out
> there on editing your boot.ini file. That's how I got my "you can't do
> that" dual install of XP to work. But be *very* careful. This is
> something you *don't* want to get wrong.
>
> Villain

They were running in perfect harmony for years until the format C and WinXP
re-install. Only difference I can see is that WinXP changed the drive letter
from E to D. Windows Manager says everything in D is "healthy". Editing the
boot.ini file hasn't helped, it just says files are missing when I try to
boot it up. Started to re-install Win98 but when it comes to changing the
offered directory from C\Windows to D\Windows it rejects it. (Is C\Windows
correct?) At that point I chickened out and stopped the install. Too dumb to
continue and hey, I've already replaced 25GBs of games and proggies which
took a few days labour, not psyched up to start all over.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:31:55 +0200, "Doug_Dread"
<doug.d@absamail.co.za> wrote:

<snipped>
>They were running in perfect harmony for years until the format C and WinXP
>re-install. Only difference I can see is that WinXP changed the drive letter
>from E to D. Windows Manager says everything in D is "healthy". Editing the
>boot.ini file hasn't helped, it just says files are missing when I try to
>boot it up. Started to re-install Win98 but when it comes to changing the
>offered directory from C\Windows to D\Windows it rejects it. (Is C\Windows
>correct?) At that point I chickened out and stopped the install. Too dumb to
>continue and hey, I've already replaced 25GBs of games and proggies which
>took a few days labour, not psyched up to start all over.

Hey, I hear ya.... My "gaming" drive has 120 gigs o' stuff on it, the
only way I'm fooling with that is if a complete disaster occurs.

Villain

Villain

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend"- Willow Rosenberg

pilgrim_uk

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2003

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:05:05 -0600, Villain <villain@weasle.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:31:55 +0200, "Doug_Dread"
><doug.d@absamail.co.za> wrote:
>
><snipped>
>>They were running in perfect harmony for years until the format C and WinXP
>>re-install. Only difference I can see is that WinXP changed the drive letter
>>from E to D. Windows Manager says everything in D is "healthy". Editing the
>>boot.ini file hasn't helped, it just says files are missing when I try to
>>boot it up. Started to re-install Win98 but when it comes to changing the
>>offered directory from C\Windows to D\Windows it rejects it. (Is C\Windows
>>correct?) At that point I chickened out and stopped the install. Too dumb to
>>continue and hey, I've already replaced 25GBs of games and proggies which
>>took a few days labour, not psyched up to start all over.
>>

>Hey, I hear ya.... My "gaming" drive has 120 gigs o' stuff on it, the
>only way I'm fooling with that is if a complete disaster occurs.
>
>Villain
>
>Villain
>
>"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend"- Willow Rosenberg

For dual boot systems to work you have to install older OS first hence
why you cant use the win98 now. so if u have a problem with Xp you
will have to install the 2 systems.

If u want it back install in the order win98-->winxp

or you can alternatively do this courtesy of DOUGKNOX.com

Repairing the Windows® XP Boot Loader

1) Create a Win98/Me Startup Disk
2) Create a Notepad file with the following entries, exactly as shown:

L 100 2 0 1
N C:\BOOTSECT.DOS
R BX
0
R CX

3) Save the file to the Win98/Me Startup Disk as READ.SCR
4) Boot the computer with the Win98/Me Startup Disk and at the A:
prompt type

DEBUG <READ.SCR

Steps 1 - 4 create the BOOTSECT.DOS file needed to boot Win98/Me. For
your convenience, you can download READ.SCR here. I suggest you use
right click and Save As. You may need to use the ATTRIB
C:\BOOTSECT.DOS -S -H -R command if BOOTSECT.DOS already exists and
you get an error when trying to recreate it.

5) Configure your computer to boot from the CD drive. This is done in
the BIOS, or your computer may offer the option at startup if it
detects a bootable CD. Consult your computer's manual for more
information. If your computer does not support booting from CD-Rom,
you should also be able to boot with a 98/Me Startup disk, and run
WINNT.EXE from the I386 folder of your XP CD.
6) Insert your XP CD and boot from it.
7) You'll see some files being copied, then you'll be presented with a
choice of installing or
repairing an existing installation. Choose Repair.
8) You'll be asked which XP installation you want to log into. Enter
1. There is usually only
one installation.
9) You'll be prompted for the Administrator password. For Home, the
default password is blank, so just hit Enter. For Pro, enter the same
password you did during setup for the Administrator account (this is
not the same as the password for an Admin level account. It must be
the Administrator account password).
10) At the C:\Windows prompt, type FIXBOOT. You'll be prompted to
confirm. Do so.
11) When FIXBOOT is finished, remove the XP CD and type EXIT and the
machine will reboot.
Reconfigure your computer to boot from the hard drive if necessary.

You will now get the XP Boot loader with your choice of operating
systems.

"Pilgrim_UK" <Pilgrim@home.com> wrote in message
> For dual boot systems to work you have to install older OS first hence
> why you cant use the win98 now. so if u have a problem with Xp you
> will have to install the 2 systems.
>
> If u want it back install in the order win98-->winxp

Win98 was still resident so I didn't realise it would be disabled and that I
should re-install it after the format C and before putting WinXP back.

> or you can alternatively do this courtesy of DOUGKNOX.com
>
> Repairing the Windows® XP Boot Loader
>
> 1) Create a Win98/Me Startup Disk
> 2) Create a Notepad file with the following entries, exactly as shown:
>
> L 100 2 0 1
> N C:\BOOTSECT.DOS
> R BX
> 0
> R CX
> 200
>
> 3) Save the file to the Win98/Me Startup Disk as READ.SCR
> 4) Boot the computer with the Win98/Me Startup Disk and at the A:
> prompt type
>
> DEBUG <READ.SCR
>
> Steps 1 - 4 create the BOOTSECT.DOS file needed to boot Win98/Me. For
> your convenience, you can download READ.SCR here. I suggest you use
> right click and Save As. You may need to use the ATTRIB
> C:\BOOTSECT.DOS -S -H -R command if BOOTSECT.DOS already exists and
> you get an error when trying to recreate it.
>
> 5) Configure your computer to boot from the CD drive. This is done in
> the BIOS, or your computer may offer the option at startup if it
> detects a bootable CD. Consult your computer's manual for more
> information. If your computer does not support booting from CD-Rom,
> you should also be able to boot with a 98/Me Startup disk, and run
> WINNT.EXE from the I386 folder of your XP CD.
> 6) Insert your XP CD and boot from it.
> 7) You'll see some files being copied, then you'll be presented with a
> choice of installing or
> repairing an existing installation. Choose Repair.
> 8) You'll be asked which XP installation you want to log into. Enter
> 1. There is usually only
> one installation.
> 9) You'll be prompted for the Administrator password. For Home, the
> default password is blank, so just hit Enter. For Pro, enter the same
> password you did during setup for the Administrator account (this is
> not the same as the password for an Admin level account. It must be
> the Administrator account password).
> 10) At the C:\Windows prompt, type FIXBOOT. You'll be prompted to
> confirm. Do so.
> 11) When FIXBOOT is finished, remove the XP CD and type EXIT and the
> machine will reboot.
> Reconfigure your computer to boot from the hard drive if necessary.
>
> You will now get the XP Boot loader with your choice of operating
> systems.

Thanks Pilgrim! Oh oh, problem, WinXP was re-installed in NTFS. I followed
your link and there may be another way. Will investigate. :)