Sign in with
Your question

Rundll32 problems after exiting IE

Last response: in Windows 7
February 13, 2010 3:47:10 PM

I have noticed when I browse with firefox everything seems to be find. But as soon as I launch IE and then exit I see a process in my task manager as rundll32.exe that starts at 65,000k of my memory then just keeps going up until it starts bringing my memory usage to 96% and my cpu to 65%. Im running 4gigs of ddr3 1300 and 3.6ghz phenom II so I know its not my hardware. Any suggestions?
February 13, 2010 11:32:55 PM

Stop using Internet Explorer.
just kidding, have you run ccleaner, and used it to clean up the registry?
also what antivirus software are you using?
Also try starting up in diagnostic mode.
click start, run and type msconfig
choose diagnostic startup, and then reboot.
see if the issue goes away, if it does you know that one of the startup programs are doing it, and you can slowly add 1 at a time back till you find the culprit.
m
l
June 21, 2010 3:08:01 AM

kal20mx said:
I have noticed when I browse with firefox everything seems to be find. But as soon as I launch IE and then exit I see a process in my task manager as rundll32.exe that starts at 65,000k of my memory then just keeps going up until it starts bringing my memory usage to 96% and my cpu to 65%. Im running 4gigs of ddr3 1300 and 3.6ghz phenom II so I know its not my hardware. Any suggestions?

You could have any number of spyware/adware/hijackware programs (or at least pieces of them) still in your system.

I'm moving this to the Security forum- read through the posts there to learn how use not only Ad Aware, but SpyBot, CWShredder, HijackThis, and a few of the other free and effective detection and removal tools that are available for download.

Run Ad Aware, SpyBot, and CWShredder one right after the other and allow them to fix everything they find. Also- it's a good idea to reboot after running each program. See if they clear things up.

If not, run HijackThis according to the instructions crunchie has posted in numerous threads but just do a scan and post the results. DOn't have it fix anything yet!!
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2010 3:12:01 AM

kal20mx said:

You could have any number of spyware/adware/hijackware programs (or at least pieces of them) still in your system.

I'm moving this to the Security forum- read through the posts there to learn how use not only Ad Aware, but SpyBot, CWShredder, HijackThis, and a few of the other free and effective detection and removal tools that are available for download.

Run Ad Aware, SpyBot, and CWShredder one right after the other and allow them to fix everything they find. Also- it's a good idea to reboot after running each program. See if they clear things up.

If not, run HijackThis according to the instructions crunchie has posted in numerous threads but just do a scan and post the results. DOn't have it fix anything yet!!

http://windows7.iyogi.net/about-windows-7/windows-7-hel...
m
l
December 13, 2012 12:33:58 AM

"Check if delete browsing history on exit is checked in internet options", if yes, uncheck it and it won't execute run32dll.ext anymore.
m
l
!