LCD monitor & Pacific Fighters

Is anyone using Pacific Fighters with a 17" LCD monitor ?

PF supports a maximum resolution of 1240 x 960 but the LCD monitor has a
native resolution of 1240 x 1024. Does this result in degraded picture
quality ?

Any advice on the above would be appreciated.

Peter

"Peter Jenkins" <pjenk@optushome.com.au> writes:

>Is anyone using Pacific Fighters with a 17" LCD monitor ?

>PF supports a maximum resolution of 1240 x 960 but the LCD monitor has a
>native resolution of 1240 x 1024. Does this result in degraded picture
>quality ?

>Any advice on the above would be appreciated.

I have an Acer 17" LCD monitor. There are no problems in playing the PF!

Arto
--

am

"Peter Jenkins" <pjenk@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> Is anyone using Pacific Fighters with a 17" LCD monitor ?

21" NEC 6FGp (CRT) here :)

--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:59:15 +1000, "Peter Jenkins"
<pjenk@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>Is anyone using Pacific Fighters with a 17" LCD monitor ?
>
>PF supports a maximum resolution of 1240 x 960 but the LCD monitor has a
>native resolution of 1240 x 1024. Does this result in degraded picture
>quality ?
>
>Any advice on the above would be appreciated.
>
>Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say PF supports a maximum
resolution of 1240x960. I've had mine as high as 1600x1200.

The one concern I have about PF and LCD's is the ghosting of the
images. What response times do your LCD's have and is this an issue
for you? (I would 12ms should be pretty fast!)

Any specific reason that you're leaning towards an LCD? I have the 22"
NEC CRT (600 us dollars) and this thing is insane. Obviously if space
is an issue than a 22" CRT is not a good choice but for gaming, I've
always been told that Sony tubes (conventional CRTs) are unmatched in
terms of resolution, refresh rate and image quality. The monitor I got
was designed for CAD development but seems to be a perfect match for
gaming. The brightness and textures on this thing are substantially
better than any other monitor of I've owned to day (Gateway, View
Sonice, Samsung). It also blows away LCD imaging at least when I
compared my image quality to a friends that uses a LCD View Sonic for
gaming. It's almost night and day difference.

Dave wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I'm not sure what you mean when you say PF supports a maximum
> resolution of 1240x960. I've had mine as high as 1600x1200.
>
> The one concern I have about PF and LCD's is the ghosting of the
> images. What response times do your LCD's have and is this an issue
> for you? (I would 12ms should be pretty fast!)

I use PF on a Sony 19inch, which has a 1280x1024 native rez. PF, for
me, also has a max selectable rez of 1280x960. I can change it in the
..ini file to higher than that, but not through the menus. When I
changed it to 1280x1024, the picture was a tiny bit sharper, but
slightly "letterboxed" at the top & bottom of the screen. Deciding I'd
rather have a larger image, I went back to 1280x960. As for ghosting -
I sometimes get it a little, nothing to moan about. Having a big screen
that doesn't take up half as much room as my old CRT is well worth it,
though.

A bigger issue than ghosting, is running a game at a lower rez than the
monitor's native one. The picture is more blurry the lower your rez is.
That's the main reason I upgraded my CPU from an AMD XP2200 to a 3200,
and changed my ATI 9600 to a Geforce 6800GT. I wanted to run all of my
games at 1280x1024. At 1280x960, perfect settings, AF & AA, PF looks
great.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On 10 Feb 2005 10:37:57 -0800, alq119_4spam@yahoo.com wrote:

>I use PF on a Sony 19inch, which has a 1280x1024 native rez. PF, for
>me, also has a max selectable rez of 1280x960. I can change it in the
>.ini file to higher than that, but not through the menus. When I
>changed it to 1280x1024, the picture was a tiny bit sharper, but
>slightly "letterboxed" at the top & bottom of the screen. Deciding I'd
>rather have a larger image, I went back to 1280x960.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I would like to move to an LCD..there are some
rated as low as 8ms response time.

BTW,if you change the rez using the conf.ini, then try changing the
entry SaveAspect=1 to =0. That may get rid of the letterbox effect.

In article <420b3072$0$4608$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
Peter Jenkins says...

> Is anyone using Pacific Fighters with a 17" LCD monitor ?
>
> PF supports a maximum resolution of 1240 x 960 but the LCD monitor has a
> native resolution of 1240 x 1024. Does this result in degraded picture
> quality ?

Marginally. Fonts particularly look a little off.

Go to the conf.ini and you'll see a [window] section, mine is the 1st
in the list and change it to the resolution you want. Mine is;

[window]
width=1280
height=1024

You'll notice that the menus will be letterboxed a touch but once in the
game it'll be full screen and at native resolution.

Cheer,
Rod.

<alq119_4spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Dave wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean when you say PF supports a maximum
>> resolution of 1240x960. I've had mine as high as 1600x1200.
>>
>> The one concern I have about PF and LCD's is the ghosting of the
>> images. What response times do your LCD's have and is this an issue
>> for you? (I would 12ms should be pretty fast!)
>
> I use PF on a Sony 19inch, which has a 1280x1024 native rez. PF, for
> me, also has a max selectable rez of 1280x960. I can change it in the
> .ini file to higher than that, but not through the menus. When I
> changed it to 1280x1024, the picture was a tiny bit sharper, but
> slightly "letterboxed" at the top & bottom of the screen. Deciding I'd
> rather have a larger image, I went back to 1280x960. As for ghosting -
> I sometimes get it a little, nothing to moan about. Having a big screen
> that doesn't take up half as much room as my old CRT is well worth it,
> though.
>
> A bigger issue than ghosting, is running a game at a lower rez than the
> monitor's native one. The picture is more blurry the lower your rez is.
> That's the main reason I upgraded my CPU from an AMD XP2200 to a 3200,
> and changed my ATI 9600 to a Geforce 6800GT. I wanted to run all of my
> games at 1280x1024. At 1280x960, perfect settings, AF & AA, PF looks
> great.

That's because Pacific Fighters runs with the 4:3 screen ratio, as do most
games. By changing the res to 1280x1024 (or 5:4 ratio) it effectively was
still running at 1280x960, but letterboxed it so it would fit in the
1280x1024 resolution. That's the problem I see with LCD monitors the popular
resolution is 1280x1024 which is not the standard ratio, which is a problem
for gaming since most games use the 4:3 ratio. You are best off spending the
bucks if you can and getting one with a 1600x1200 native resoltion which
scales well any 4:3 ratio resolution less than 1600x1200. Or if you can't
afford it, go with a 1024x768 native resolution monitor.

Also, what is meant by ghosting? If there is ghosting with a static image,
then that means you probably don't have a good cable that is shielded
properly. If it is that little bit of blurring effect during action, then
yes that is with respect to your LCD's response time limitations. 16ms or
less is usually the key sign of a good moving image or not.

HockeyTownUSA wrote:

> That's because Pacific Fighters runs with the 4:3 screen ratio, as do
most
> games. By changing the res to 1280x1024 (or 5:4 ratio) it effectively
was
> still running at 1280x960, but letterboxed it so it would fit in the
> 1280x1024 resolution. That's the problem I see with LCD monitors the
popular
> resolution is 1280x1024 which is not the standard ratio, which is a
problem
> for gaming since most games use the 4:3 ratio. You are best off
spending the
> bucks if you can and getting one with a 1600x1200 native resoltion
which
> scales well any 4:3 ratio resolution less than 1600x1200. Or if you
can't
> afford it, go with a 1024x768 native resolution monitor.
> Also, what is meant by ghosting? If there is ghosting with a static
image,
> then that means you probably don't have a good cable that is shielded

> properly. If it is that little bit of blurring effect during action,
then
> yes that is with respect to your LCD's response time limitations.
16ms or
> less is usually the key sign of a good moving image or not.

A bigger screen would have been nice, but there's NO WAY I could have
afforded it at that time. Or at this time :) Oh well. And when I said
ghosting, yes, I was referring to the slight blurring during action.