Help - Find my location not working with V620

Last response: in Brands
November 18, 2004 7:50:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In mMode there is a website "Find Things Nearby" which will find stores,
etc close to your locations. Whenever I try to use the find my location
feature in my V620, it always get my location incorrect. If I pop my SIM
into my V400, it gets it right every time. Any ideas??? Is there some
setting in the V620 that is incorrect???

How do the GSM phones find your location? I know that the CDMA phones have
GPS, what do the GSM phones use?

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 7:50:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Modify seem 0117_0001. If you look carefully iot says V 6 2
0. If you modify offset 05 bit 1, it will change to saying v
6 0 0 and all wap browsing should work like the way it
should.

>In mMode there is a website "Find Things Nearby" which will find stores,
>etc close to your locations. Whenever I try to use the find my location
>feature in my V620, it always get my location incorrect. If I pop my SIM
>into my V400, it gets it right every time. Any ideas??? Is there some
>setting in the V620 that is incorrect???
>
>How do the GSM phones find your location? I know that the CDMA phones have
>GPS, what do the GSM phones use?
>
>Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
November 18, 2004 10:54:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <Cp4nd.45879$QJ3.28775@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com> on Thu, 18 Nov 2004
16:50:42 GMT, "kjl" <gsm@lafredo.com> wrote:

>How do the GSM phones find your location? I know that the CDMA phones have
>GPS, what do the GSM phones use?

<http://www.911dispatch.com/911_file/tech_choices.html&g...;

Phase II Wireless E911 Technology Choices

As of May 2003, here are the methods being used by the largest wireless
carriers to provide Phase II service:

Carrier Network
Technology Phase II Technology Type
T-Mobile GSM E-OTD* network
Nextel iDEN A-GPS handset
Cingular TDMA-GSM E-OTD* network
AT&T Wireless TDMA-GSM E-OTD* network
Verizon CDMA A-GPS/AFLT handset
Sprint CDMA A-GPS/AFLT handset

Both Cingular and AT&T Wireless are phasing out their TDMA networks.

* In Oct. 2002 Cingular and AT&T Wireless notified the FCC that it was
halting E-OTD development because they were uncertaint that
the technique could meet the accuracy requirement by the Commission's
deadline. In March 2003 T-Mobile also told the FCC
it would stop deployment of E-OTD gear. The carriers said they would test
U-TDOA technology to provide Phase II service.

<http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=404&gt;

Cingular Switches to U-TDOA for E-911 Positioning

Date Posted: Dec 17, 2002, 12:25 AM Source: Wireless Week

Cingular has decided to switch technologies for meeting the FCC's
E-911 mandate for locating 911 callers. Cingular has told the FCC
that after completing successful field trials involving
TruePosition's network-based U-TDOA technology, it was moving away
from E-OTD, which so far has failed accuracy tests, resulting in
delays and financial penalties. Cingular in October suspended
shipments of E-OTD gear and began testing TruePosition's solution.

<http://www.trueposition.com/news_03.10.03_cingulargsm.p...;

TruePosition and Cingular Sign National Multi-Year Agreement For GSM
Location Solution

TruePosition's U-TDOA Location Solution Provides High Accuracy For
Anyphone, Anywhere

KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa. and ATLANTA, Ga., March 10, 2003

November 20, 2004 7:04:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

The Motorola V620 is out already?? In the US? I haven't seen it anywhere.

What is different in it than the V600?