Sign in with
Your question

Options to limit bandwidth for port or mac address?

Last response: in Networking
November 10, 2012 4:31:29 AM

Been looking around in my routers settings for something that even comes close to limiting bandwidth on a specific port, or mac address, but the only thing I can find is priority settings like "Low, Normal, High, and Highest" I did however see this:

I am not 100% sure if I can specifically set bandwidth limit per port or mac address, cause I don't see an option to do that, so I presume it just limits the whole network as one...

Thanks again guys,

- SMOR3S
November 10, 2012 5:04:06 AM

Anyone?
m
l
November 10, 2012 6:19:14 AM

Anyone?
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2012 10:15:00 AM

Depends what you mean by bandwidth. Most people mean a cap on bytes transferred over a period of time. No router that I know of has that feature most because where would it keep all records for how much data each thing transferred last hour, last day,last week ? Device that do this generally are servers that have harddrives.

Now the one a router can do is limit the RATE a device can transfer. For example you can say you can only download 1mbit/sec. This is called traffic policing or traffic shaping. Most devices have what yours does which is a form of qos that in times of over usage certain traffic gets priority but it does not hard limit anything.

DD-WRT firmware has some ability to limit traffic. You would have to go to a commercial router if you wanted to do advanced traffic management and even those cannot do bandwidth capping type of things since they too do not have hard drives
m
l
November 10, 2012 12:13:11 PM

So how do I do it on my router?
m
l
November 10, 2012 2:38:17 PM

You can't with the current software. You would have see if your router is on the list of routers you can update with dd-wrt firmware. If not you need buy a new router...but you first have to really determine what you are trying to accomplish
m
l
November 10, 2012 4:58:42 PM

Netflix > Network > Other People..

I think that explains it pretty well :3

Someone on the network uses netflix, and it lags the heck out of everyone else, cause it uses so much bandwidth...
m
l
November 10, 2012 7:07:10 PM

My friend might still have his Linksys WRT54G, if not, then I'll go ahead and buy a NETGEAR N300 for $45

http://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-N300-Wireless-Router/...

Either way, I can slap DDWRT on either one, so that will be better than this Netgear WGR614v10, that has no more options than a potato..
m
l
November 11, 2012 2:02:19 AM

Okay, can someone help, cause this is really annoying lol...
m
l
November 11, 2012 4:57:38 AM

HELLO?
m
l
November 15, 2012 4:23:45 AM

Anyone? would a Dual Band router help? so I can limit bandwidth, and not lag from Netflix?
m
l
November 25, 2012 6:00:34 AM

Hello? Can anyone help? Is there a router I can buy that will limit bandwidth of others on the network? will a DDWRT router help?
m
l
November 25, 2012 6:48:47 AM

Use QOS (Quality of service) click the set QoS rule button then select a range of the ip adresses e.g.(192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.200) set Wan to Lan "Minimum Guaranteed Rate" 20% and a second rule with Lan to Wan "Minimum Guaranteed Rate" 20%.

The setting are based on my router not a Netgear so ip addresses may be different or you may want to set 40%.

And from the help text on that picture it looks like you may just need to select the MAC addresses not a ip range. Maybe you can post a picture of the rule page.
m
l
December 6, 2012 5:09:12 AM

Ya, but how am I going to limit bandwidth on netflix, that streams from a BluRay player? I can't even watch a Youtube video, when Netflix is on...
m
l
!