Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Combat Flight Sim 3 & Lock On

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:45:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying "Combat Flight Sim 3" and "Lock On".

Can anyone tell me the good and bad things about these two sims?

What are the graphics like in the two programs?

Thanks.

More about : combat flight sim lock

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:45:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

"Paul Maskell" <paul@maskell17.plus.com> wrote in message
news:4210d5b8$0$99815$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net...
> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking about buying "Combat Flight Sim 3" and "Lock On".
>
> Can anyone tell me the good and bad things about these two sims?
>
> What are the graphics like in the two programs?
>
> Thanks.
>
>

CFS3: I recently reacquired this title for free from a squad mate. I
originally had the game on my older PC and it ran terribly, so I ended up
just deleting it. Anyway, with this last iteration on a new hot-rod PC, I
knew it would run at max settings, which is what I wanted. But the install
was a PITA. First of all, the game locked up hard whenever I tried to
calibrate the joystick in-game. Then, I would get really weird in-game
visuals, which I finally solved by rolling back my drivers to the latest
WHQL certified drivers. But the game still won't let me play with two
joysticks. I like to use half of a X45 (the thruster) in my left hand, and
a MS FFB2 in my right, but CFS3 doesn't like this at all, so I have to
disconnect my X45 from my PC and revert to "Lam3z0r mode" using
twist-rudder, paddle throttle, etc. Finally, this game does *NOT* like to
be ALT_TABBED at all. it will hard-reset my PC. Better make sure you've
gotten TeamSpeak, TIR, or anything else you want set up ahead of time.

As far as game play, I haven't logged a whole lot of time on it, simply
because the graphics are not even close to IL2-FB. I added the FirePower
add-on to boost the graphics and add new planes, missions, etc. but I'm not
all that impressed. While a lot of people are touting how great and
immersive the single-player gameplay is (with the 6DOF TIR support), I find
the gameplay quite boring.

LOMAC: Got it, installed it, patched it, played it a couple of times, but
not in quite a while - I'm just too dang involved in IL2 and (to a lesser
extent) learning Falcon 4 to get into this one. The graphics are quite
nice, with the terrain the best I've ever seen in a flight sim. Better have
a red-hot system for this one, though.

Hope this helps,

James
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:08:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

Paul Maskell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking about buying "Combat Flight Sim 3" and "Lock On".
>
> Can anyone tell me the good and bad things about these two sims?
>
> What are the graphics like in the two programs?
>
> Thanks.

Lomac has perhaps the best graphics in the genre at the moment. But at a
hefty hardware price. Im running a P4@3.6ghz and a 6800GT and I cant max
it out, not even close with full special effects.

I cant comment on CFS3 except to say I tried it and while OK nothing near
the quality of the IL2 series.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a
Related resources
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:33:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

LO:MAC / Lock-On is a modern-day sim. Great graphics. Terrible system
hog, even on the latest systems. Totally boring, canned campaign. It
has its good and its bad points, but I didn't like it much. YMMV on
this one, big time. Less button-pushing than Falcon 4 (especially the
latest iterations), but less immersive, as well.

As for CFS3 -- well, you need to understand one major thing when it
comes to opinions about this sim. There's this group of folks out
there, perhaps you've heard of them, called "IL-2 Fanbois". They're
basically a bunch of cats who worship this Russian guy and the sims he
makes, and are completely unwilling to overlook any of the flaws of
these sims. Even worse, they make themselves feel better by bashing
the nearest competition, which, in this case, is CFS3. CFS3, unless
you're a rivetcounting nerd who has $2000 in sticks and cockpits and
TrackIR and stuff and yet has never kissed a woman, is not too damn
bad. There's some inconsistencies and some foibles, and it doesn't
pretend to the pseudo-virtual "realism" of IL-2, but it's not bad.
Pick up the payware add-on Firepower! and you've got something pretty
respectable. And CFS3 has a far better campaign.

Not denigrating IL-2, though -- offline, it's pretty weak in a lot
respects, but I guess it's a lot better online, flying with a bunch of
guys who really, really get in to this stuff.

--scharmers
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:03:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes
Mitch_A <naman@pacbell.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:D O5Qd.6$DC6.3@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> Paul Maskell wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm thinking about buying "Combat Flight Sim 3" and "Lock On".
> >
> > Can anyone tell me the good and bad things about these two sims?
> >
> > What are the graphics like in the two programs?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Lomac has perhaps the best graphics in the genre at the moment. But at a
> hefty hardware price. Im running a P4@3.6ghz and a 6800GT and I cant max
> it out, not even close with full special effects.
>
> I cant comment on CFS3 except to say I tried it and while OK nothing near
> the quality of the IL2 series.
>
Sorry if this is obvious to you chaps...
is Lock On or 'Lomac' the same as 'Lock On air combat simulation' by
Ubisoft published in 2003, can get it for about £7 these days?
Thanks.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:03:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

Yes, it's the same

"Chertsey Bulovski" <ChertseyBulovski34@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:HB6Qd.1446$A55.394@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
> x-no-archive: yes
> Mitch_A <naman@pacbell.nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:D O5Qd.6$DC6.3@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> > Paul Maskell wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm thinking about buying "Combat Flight Sim 3" and "Lock On".
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me the good and bad things about these two sims?
> > >
> > > What are the graphics like in the two programs?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > Lomac has perhaps the best graphics in the genre at the moment. But at
a
> > hefty hardware price. Im running a P4@3.6ghz and a 6800GT and I cant
max
> > it out, not even close with full special effects.
> >
> > I cant comment on CFS3 except to say I tried it and while OK nothing
near
> > the quality of the IL2 series.
> >
> Sorry if this is obvious to you chaps...
> is Lock On or 'Lomac' the same as 'Lock On air combat simulation' by
> Ubisoft published in 2003, can get it for about £7 these days?
> Thanks.
>
>
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:29:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes
Kopfjaeger <rbladenospam@chartermi.net> wrote in message
news:D W7Qd.4161$Pc3.219@fe03.lga...
> Yes, it's the same
> >
many thanks.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:08:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

The drum continues to be beat because there's all the IL-2 weenies out
there with the usual "OMG!!!11!!!! IL-2 SI TEH BEST & ALL OTHER SIMS
OUR SHITT!!!11@one!!1" when I say the *last* sim a "sim newbie" needs
to fire up and deal with is IL-2.

Myself, there's only a few sims I have a real piss-on for these days .
FB+AE+FP is installed on my computer right now, with Lowengrin's DCG,
and I'm enjoying it just fine. It's not the one true sim, though.
Neither is CFS3, but it's fun, too.

And as for spending too much time on SimHQ, one of the reasons the word
"fanboi" is literally blocked out on that massively heavily-handed
modded board is from yours truly. I just lurk on there nowadays since
I called 20mm a pussy, which resulted in an OMFG!!! I AM TEH
BANNED!!11@#!! on SimHQ.

--scharmers
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:41:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

>> I'm thinking about buying "Combat Flight Sim 3" and "Lock On".

>Lomac has perhaps the best graphics in the genre at the moment. But at a

What is the relation/difference between Lomac and Lock On? I have the
latter, but many posts talking of Lomac seem to talk about Lock On...
Confused. :) 

Arto
--
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:53:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

"Arto Wikla" <wikla@wrl-55.cs.helsinki.fi> wrote in message
news:wikla.1108417072@wrl-55...
> >> I'm thinking about buying "Combat Flight Sim 3" and "Lock On".
>
> >Lomac has perhaps the best graphics in the genre at the moment. But at a
>
> What is the relation/difference between Lomac and Lock On? I have the
> latter, but many posts talking of Lomac seem to talk about Lock On...
> Confused. :) 
>
> Arto
> --
>

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/lockonmodernaircombat/in...

Is this the Lock On that you're talking about? If so, then it's also the
LoMAC that's used in here too.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:32:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

OldDog wrote:

>
> "Arto Wikla" <wikla@wrl-55.cs.helsinki.fi> wrote in message
> news:wikla.1108417072@wrl-55...
>> >> I'm thinking about buying "Combat Flight Sim 3" and "Lock On".
>>
>> >Lomac has perhaps the best graphics in the genre at the moment. But at
>> >a
>>
>> What is the relation/difference between Lomac and Lock On? I have the
>> latter, but many posts talking of Lomac seem to talk about Lock On...
>> Confused. :) 
>>
>> Arto
>> --
>>
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/lockonmodernaircombat/in...
>
> Is this the Lock On that you're talking about? If so, then it's also the
> LoMAC that's used in here too.

Yes.

Just as an FYI.. A new version of Lock On Modern Air Combat (Lomac) called
"Flaming Cliffs" should be available for download soon. Its actually a 1.1
release but were going to have to pay for it. IIRC it comes with an
advanced flight model for the frog/Mig25?

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a
!