Combat Flight Sim2

A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old computer.
Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles but an
not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the campagin
is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I be
disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have enough
going on right now. Thanks. Dave

"DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote in message
> A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old computer.
> Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles but
an
> not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the
campagin
> is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I be
> disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have enough
> going on right now. Thanks. Dave

Someone give this guy a gold star for having the self-restraint to not buy
every flight sim available!

As far as CFS2 goes, it is a good game (never had a patch issued, and really
didn't need one). I used to play it on my older PC and it ran smoothly.
The in-game campaigns/missions are a lot of fun. And I believe that
NetWings.org has a bunch of add-on missions/skins/utilities. I know they
have a fairly active community there in the forums.

Don't buy CFS3 - it's not worth the money or the time you'll have to invest
in it to get it running.

Two things in CFS-2's favor: it has some good naval-aviation action,
and being a MS product, you can customize it easily. I would have
actually given up the latter of those two features if they made the
stock game more compelling. There actually is a great combat sim in
CFS-2, though you have to stick with it awhile to tease it out of the
otherwise repetitious missions. If you've already got the game, you've
nothing to lose firing it up. I guess we share pretty much the same
problem - we've got some compelling titles, but they require the sort
of dedication you didn't need playing a game like "Their Finest Hour".
I had EF-2000 on my old P200 for several years before it stopped being
the game I thought I should be flying, and started being the game I
wanted to fly the minute I started booting up my machine.

I liked CFS-2 and find it a good diversion. You don't need to fight it
every step of the way, so if you are just wanting to fly a quick mission
before bed, or even do some quick dogfighting (instant action) it's great.

There are plenty of addons, including good addon campaigns. Although it
isn't as hard as some other sims, I found it to be great fun. It's not
without bugs (the roll damage bug used to drive me nuts) but there are third
party hex-edits that eliminate most if not all of those problems. (Quite
frankly, they may have been more noticable early on... Last time I re-did
my computer, I think I forgot to install the roll damage fix as well as some
others and it must not have bothered me because I didn't realize it until I
thought about it just now... either that or I'm getting old and senile)

BTW - don't give up on CFS3 - With the firepower addon, it's has moments
that are actually quite good. I would take whatever price I expected to pay
for CFS3 and add in the cost of the Firepower upgrade and consider that to
be the true price of the sim.

"DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote in message
> A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old computer.
> Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles but
an
> not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the
campagin
> is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I be
> disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have enough
> going on right now. Thanks. Dave

Speaking of CFS2, the last two times I tried to play it, I had this weird
bug where whenever I would spawn into a mission, my guns would be firing
full-bore until they were empty, and I couldn't stop them. This happened
both on my older system as well as my new PC (both used the same sticks,
though). Anyone happen to know what is causing this? I uninstalled the
game because it was driving me nuts, but I'd reinstall it if I could figure
out this problem.

James

"Jay Williams" <jay@jwilliamslaw.com> wrote in message
> I liked CFS-2 and find it a good diversion. You don't need to fight it
> every step of the way, so if you are just wanting to fly a quick mission
> before bed, or even do some quick dogfighting (instant action) it's great.
>
> There are plenty of addons, including good addon campaigns. Although it
> isn't as hard as some other sims, I found it to be great fun. It's not
> without bugs (the roll damage bug used to drive me nuts) but there are
third
> party hex-edits that eliminate most if not all of those problems. (Quite
> frankly, they may have been more noticable early on... Last time I
re-did
> my computer, I think I forgot to install the roll damage fix as well as
some
> others and it must not have bothered me because I didn't realize it until
> thought about it just now... either that or I'm getting old and senile)
>

> BTW - don't give up on CFS3 - With the firepower addon, it's has moments
> that are actually quite good. I would take whatever price I expected to
pay
> for CFS3 and add in the cost of the Firepower upgrade and consider that to
> be the true price of the sim.
>
> "DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote in message
> > A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old
computer.
> > Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles but
> an
> > not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the
> campagin
> > is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I
be
> > disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have
enough
> > going on right now. Thanks. Dave

jp

"DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote in message
> A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old computer.
> Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles but
an
> not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the
campagin
> is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I be
> disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have enough
> going on right now. Thanks. Dave

It's a fairly fun game, but got old quick for me. Brain dead AI, easy to
rack up the kills, on either side, at highest settings. Whether they're
flying a zero, wildcat, whatever, the ai does the exact same
routine....over............and over..............and over...........<g>

Started playing today and having fun. thanks all.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:30:59 GMT, "DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote:

>A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old computer.
>Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles but an
>not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the campagin
>is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I be
>disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have enough
>going on right now. Thanks. Dave

I keep it around because it's the only sim I know of that you can fly
the Black Widow in. (3rd Party add-on). It's just plain old fun.

BTW, Oleg, if you listening, I got one word for
ya....DH-98....pleeeeease.

Villain

"If I hear 'Yo, bogie dudes' one more time, I'm going to empty my gun
into some surfer butt!"