Combat Flight Sim2

A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old computer.
Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles but an
not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the campagin
is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I be
disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have enough
going on right now. Thanks. Dave
7 answers Last reply
More about combat flight sim2
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote in message
    > A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old computer.
    > Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles but
    an
    > not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the
    campagin
    > is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I be
    > disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have enough
    > going on right now. Thanks. Dave

    Someone give this guy a gold star for having the self-restraint to not buy
    every flight sim available!

    As far as CFS2 goes, it is a good game (never had a patch issued, and really
    didn't need one). I used to play it on my older PC and it ran smoothly.
    The in-game campaigns/missions are a lot of fun. And I believe that
    NetWings.org has a bunch of add-on missions/skins/utilities. I know they
    have a fairly active community there in the forums.

    Don't buy CFS3 - it's not worth the money or the time you'll have to invest
    in it to get it running.

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Two things in CFS-2's favor: it has some good naval-aviation action,
    and being a MS product, you can customize it easily. I would have
    actually given up the latter of those two features if they made the
    stock game more compelling. There actually is a great combat sim in
    CFS-2, though you have to stick with it awhile to tease it out of the
    otherwise repetitious missions. If you've already got the game, you've
    nothing to lose firing it up. I guess we share pretty much the same
    problem - we've got some compelling titles, but they require the sort
    of dedication you didn't need playing a game like "Their Finest Hour".
    I had EF-2000 on my old P200 for several years before it stopped being
    the game I thought I should be flying, and started being the game I
    wanted to fly the minute I started booting up my machine.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I liked CFS-2 and find it a good diversion. You don't need to fight it
    every step of the way, so if you are just wanting to fly a quick mission
    before bed, or even do some quick dogfighting (instant action) it's great.

    There are plenty of addons, including good addon campaigns. Although it
    isn't as hard as some other sims, I found it to be great fun. It's not
    without bugs (the roll damage bug used to drive me nuts) but there are third
    party hex-edits that eliminate most if not all of those problems. (Quite
    frankly, they may have been more noticable early on... Last time I re-did
    my computer, I think I forgot to install the roll damage fix as well as some
    others and it must not have bothered me because I didn't realize it until I
    thought about it just now... either that or I'm getting old and senile)

    BTW - don't give up on CFS3 - With the firepower addon, it's has moments
    that are actually quite good. I would take whatever price I expected to pay
    for CFS3 and add in the cost of the Firepower upgrade and consider that to
    be the true price of the sim.

    "DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote in message
    > A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old computer.
    > Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles but
    an
    > not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the
    campagin
    > is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I be
    > disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have enough
    > going on right now. Thanks. Dave

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Speaking of CFS2, the last two times I tried to play it, I had this weird
    bug where whenever I would spawn into a mission, my guns would be firing
    full-bore until they were empty, and I couldn't stop them. This happened
    both on my older system as well as my new PC (both used the same sticks,
    though). Anyone happen to know what is causing this? I uninstalled the
    game because it was driving me nuts, but I'd reinstall it if I could figure
    out this problem.

    James

    "Jay Williams" <jay@jwilliamslaw.com> wrote in message
    > I liked CFS-2 and find it a good diversion. You don't need to fight it
    > every step of the way, so if you are just wanting to fly a quick mission
    > before bed, or even do some quick dogfighting (instant action) it's great.
    >
    > There are plenty of addons, including good addon campaigns. Although it
    > isn't as hard as some other sims, I found it to be great fun. It's not
    > without bugs (the roll damage bug used to drive me nuts) but there are
    third
    > party hex-edits that eliminate most if not all of those problems. (Quite
    > frankly, they may have been more noticable early on... Last time I
    re-did
    > my computer, I think I forgot to install the roll damage fix as well as
    some
    > others and it must not have bothered me because I didn't realize it until
    > thought about it just now... either that or I'm getting old and senile)
    >

    > BTW - don't give up on CFS3 - With the firepower addon, it's has moments
    > that are actually quite good. I would take whatever price I expected to
    pay
    > for CFS3 and add in the cost of the Firepower upgrade and consider that to
    > be the true price of the sim.
    >
    > "DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote in message
    > > A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old
    computer.
    > > Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles but
    > an
    > > not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the
    > campagin
    > > is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I
    be
    > > disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have
    enough
    > > going on right now. Thanks. Dave

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote in message
    > A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old computer.
    > Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles but
    an
    > not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the
    campagin
    > is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I be
    > disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have enough
    > going on right now. Thanks. Dave

    It's a fairly fun game, but got old quick for me. Brain dead AI, easy to
    rack up the kills, on either side, at highest settings. Whether they're
    flying a zero, wildcat, whatever, the ai does the exact same
    routine....over............and over..............and over...........<g>
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Started playing today and having fun. thanks all.

    "James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > Speaking of CFS2, the last two times I tried to play it, I had this weird
    > bug where whenever I would spawn into a mission, my guns would be firing
    > full-bore until they were empty, and I couldn't stop them. This happened
    > both on my older system as well as my new PC (both used the same sticks,
    > though). Anyone happen to know what is causing this? I uninstalled the
    > game because it was driving me nuts, but I'd reinstall it if I could
    > figure
    > out this problem.
    >
    > James
    >
    > "Jay Williams" <jay@jwilliamslaw.com> wrote in message
    >> I liked CFS-2 and find it a good diversion. You don't need to fight it
    >> every step of the way, so if you are just wanting to fly a quick mission
    >> before bed, or even do some quick dogfighting (instant action) it's
    >> great.
    >>
    >> There are plenty of addons, including good addon campaigns. Although it
    >> isn't as hard as some other sims, I found it to be great fun. It's not
    >> without bugs (the roll damage bug used to drive me nuts) but there are
    > third
    >> party hex-edits that eliminate most if not all of those problems. (Quite
    >> frankly, they may have been more noticable early on... Last time I
    > re-did
    >> my computer, I think I forgot to install the roll damage fix as well as
    > some
    >> others and it must not have bothered me because I didn't realize it until
    >> thought about it just now... either that or I'm getting old and senile)
    >>

    >> BTW - don't give up on CFS3 - With the firepower addon, it's has moments
    >> that are actually quite good. I would take whatever price I expected to
    > pay
    >> for CFS3 and add in the cost of the Firepower upgrade and consider that
    >> be the true price of the sim.
    >>
    >> "DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote in message
    >> > A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old
    > computer.
    >> > Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles
    >> > but
    >> an
    >> > not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the
    >> campagin
    >> > is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I
    > be
    >> > disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have
    > enough
    >> > going on right now. Thanks. Dave

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:30:59 GMT, "DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote:

    >A couple of years ago I purchased this and did not run on my old computer.
    >Now that I have a newer puter, I have enjoyed IL-3 Forgotten Battles but an
    >not entirely pleased with the campaign. I also fly F-4 and so the campagin
    >is something I enjoy. My question is this, after Il-2, Falcon 4 will I be
    >disapointed in CFS-2? I don't want to go out and buy CF-3, as have enough
    >going on right now. Thanks. Dave

    I keep it around because it's the only sim I know of that you can fly
    the Black Widow in. (3rd Party add-on). It's just plain old fun.

    BTW, Oleg, if you listening, I got one word for
    ya....DH-98....pleeeeease.

    Villain

    "If I hear 'Yo, bogie dudes' one more time, I'm going to empty my gun
    into some surfer butt!"

PC gaming Video Games