Question on Home Networking

magister

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hello,

Currently in my home I have a highspeed cable internet line installed. However, my flat mate, only uses his laptop to get online and does so wirelessly.

I, using my desktop PC, prefer the hardline RJ45.

We have a wireless router atm, but I find it does a poor job at dividing the netspeed, for example: My DL line is rated at 40KBPS (4MB/s roughly), however, I will not get that speed unless I release/renew the router, as well as my PC, and I have to do this at least once a day to "refresh" the connection. It's terribly annoying to say the least.

A quick speed test example to elaborate on the issue:

Before the router reset - line tests at anywhere from 10-15, after router reset - I get my 35-40 as it should be. I need this to stop.

What I am wondering is if someone could suggest a better router for home networking that would be more amenable to my situation.

I remember years ago, I had a nice DLink router that never had this issue, but all 3 PC's connected to it, were all lines. I have no experience with wireless networking so I am not sure if that is what is causing the issue.

TL : DR people:

Brand + Price suggestions on a router for home networking, that handles both wired & wireless connections evenly.

Thanks very much in advance,

Cheers.