10/100/1000 vs Gigabit Ethernet

dgroves

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
I'm having an issue with getting a cable modem to correctly interact with a gigabit dual band router.

After trying two Motorola 6121's with two Cisco dual band wifi n300 routers and one Netgear WNDR3700. Naturally, the ISP (Suddenlink) offers no help.
I've tried cloning the main PC's MAC address (no result) to starting from scratch (obviously with independent pieces of hardware from two different vendors.

Are you aware of any:

1. compatibility issues with Motorola cable (DOCSIS 3.0) gibabit modems and Cisco or Netgear wireless routers?

2. compatibility issues using a 10/100 modem with a 10/100/1000 router (logic says no, but "pure" logic hasn't worked in this scenario yet.

3. listing of compatible cable modem / wifi router combinations?

4. "bad" things about Suddenlink and the usage of privately owned equipment?

Any help you can offer is graciously accepted. I don't want to HAVE TO PAY $10.00 a month for something have gotten for FREE for years, i.e., Wifi

dgroves

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

Yes. If I plug one end of the Cat6 into the modem and the other end into a computer (desktop or laptop), I get internet at the subscribed speeds.

If I then configure a router, plug the Cat6 from modem to router "Internet" port and take another cable from any of the four ethernet ports of the router to any PC, I get zip.

I even tried Modem to Router via one of the four LAN ports; nothing.

Suddenlink was no help, nor was Cisco or Netgear ("Suddenlink's fault").

I'll take any ideas to try. They will take time. I've returned all versions of the cable modem and all but the Netgear WNDR3700 wifi router. I just want to stop paying that monthly modem rental.

Thanks Emerald

after you connected the router to the modem, did you reboot the modem?

reset the router to manufacturer default and disconnect everything but the modem via WAN port.

turn both modem and router off

turn on modem and wait until it booted all the way

turn on router and wait until it booted all the way

then connect a computer via LAN port and see if you get an IP