Sign in with
Your question

HELP windows 7 freezing at first install screen!

Last response: in Windows 7
May 13, 2012 7:40:18 AM

hi everyone, i just started up my system for the first time.
i have booted off of my asus optical drive into the windows 7 pro into the install page. at the first stage where it says select language/timezone etc the screen has frozen and i now cant use my mouse or keyboard at all. the optical drive activity light also does not flash at this point. this is my first install i have done myself so i am struggling on a solution to this. i have also restarted and the same issue occurs. what would you guys recommend?

mobo - rampage iv extreme (bios is the latest as the only issue seems to be widows 7 install)

thanks, much appreciated !
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2012 8:17:32 AM

HDD appearing in BIOS ok?
Do you get as far as 'Install Now?'
m
l
May 13, 2012 8:41:59 AM

yes a drive is recognized crucial m4..i am booting off of the optical drive. i only get to the first options page when it freezes
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2012 8:51:07 AM

AHCI mode selected in BIOS? Wonder if it could be the disk, have you used it successfully before?
m
l
May 13, 2012 9:32:22 AM

thanks for your reply, i managed to solve the problem here was the solution;

ok well i happened to come across a poster who had the same issue as i was experiencing. the reason why no mouse or keyboard was detected was because they were plugged into the motherboard usb's...thus was giving the impression that the screen had frozen as they werent visible, however they both worked during the bios setup phase...thus this other poster's solution was to plug the mouse into the front usb panel on the case, this somehow made the mouse and keyboard now visible on the screen and completely active during the windows install page....i thought i might as well give it a shot, and wow, it worked for me. gosh i feel embarrassed as such a simple solution was giving me a slight headache. just goes to show that all problems arent as they seem! :lol: 
thankyou for you suggestions dodger46, as always i appreciate you help :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2012 10:04:44 AM

Well, you live, you learn! New one for me, after all the front usb's only go to a riser on the mobo, another one to file away...
m
l
February 23, 2013 6:32:32 AM

AWESOME!!

Had same issue and it was Driving me around 'the bend' after only 30 minutes!! Plugged the stupid USB KB and Mouse into the FP USB connectors and 'Voila'! Super Glad I found this page and the resolution. Thank-You VERY MUCH!
m
l
June 2, 2013 3:23:46 PM

I just wanted to pipe in that I just went through the same thing and the solution of moving the usb to the front worked for me also. Thanks a ton
m
l
April 18, 2014 1:17:55 PM

associated said:
thanks for your reply, i managed to solve the problem here was the solution;

ok well i happened to come across a poster who had the same issue as i was experiencing. the reason why no mouse or keyboard was detected was because they were plugged into the motherboard usb's...thus was giving the impression that the screen had frozen as they werent visible, however they both worked during the bios setup phase...thus this other poster's solution was to plug the mouse into the front usb panel on the case, this somehow made the mouse and keyboard now visible on the screen and completely active during the windows install page....i thought i might as well give it a shot, and wow, it worked for me. gosh i feel embarrassed as such a simple solution was giving me a slight headache. just goes to show that all problems arent as they seem! :lol: 
thankyou for you suggestions dodger46, as always i appreciate you help :) 

Thanxxxxxxx
m
l
April 30, 2014 9:22:42 AM

Well i am experiencing the exact problem and i tried using the for usb on my own but the problem doesnt seem to fade...
m
l
April 30, 2014 9:34:10 AM

Touk97 said:
Well i am experiencing the exact problem and i tried using the for usb on my own but the problem doesnt seem to fade...

try dodger46 solution.
m
l
!