Your question

I lose connection when playing games

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Games
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 27, 2012 11:12:18 PM

I got a new router, a Cisco Linksys EA3500, and everything works fine and no one else in my family notices anything. Everything works and I don't have trouble accessing the internet and I always get 5 bars, but whenever I play a game online it will disconnect me after a while. Sometimes it disconnects me after 5 minutes and sometimes after 30 minutes. The only games I play are Arma 2 and Garry's mod and I have the same problem with both games. The weird thing is that I talk to friends on steam when we are playing and it doesn't get disconnected I can hear them fine, and my internet access bar at the lower right doesn't say I'm disconnected. Streaming and downloading work as well. I have no idea what to do, we got a new router because the old one was faulty and we called our isp and they said there was nothing wrong on their end it.

I have tried to port forward but that didn't help.

More about : lose connection playing games

September 29, 2012 7:22:49 PM

I have tried changing channels on my router and that does not help. I also did some throttle tests and my isp is not throttling the internet. It's weird because everything works fine and the disconnect only happens when I am playing a game and only in that game. I am still able to use steam chat as well as browse the internet when it happens. I have tested this with a few more games and I still have the same problem.

I see that my router has an option of 5 ghz and 2.4ghz, it is on mixed right now, but I don't know what they do exactly or if changing it would even work.
m
l