Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell computers for audio

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:49:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I want to buy a Dell computer and pair it with a Tascam FW1880 audio
interface. Is Dell a bad choice for a pc dedicated to audio apps
only? Any alternatives?

And if Dell is worth getting, which is the better way to interface via
firewire: the Dell card or thru the optional Soundblaster Audigy
firewire port - or should I get both? I want to put a decent
soundcard in this pc so I can experiment while I save up the dough for
the Tascam.

More about : dell computers audio

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 4:14:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

whonut wrote:
> I want to buy a Dell computer and pair it with a Tascam FW1880 audio
> interface. Is Dell a bad choice for a pc dedicated to audio apps
> only? Any alternatives?
>
> And if Dell is worth getting, which is the better way to interface via
> firewire: the Dell card or thru the optional Soundblaster Audigy
> firewire port - or should I get both? I want to put a decent
> soundcard in this pc so I can experiment while I save up the dough for
> the Tascam.
The type of PC has minimal, if any, effect on sound quality of a Digital
audio workstation. Pay most of your attention to the sound card. That
will count for at least 95% of your audio quality. For decent quality
and a good reputation, you should look at companies like Echo audio,
M-Audio, Lynx, etc.


CD
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 8:37:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Thanks, Doug.

I am under the impression - hopefully not mistakenly - that since the
Tascam has a d/a converter I won't need much of a soundcard. I have to
look at the Tascam more closely but I don't think I will have to
monitor the sound thru the computer. I think I'm going to use Cubase
as my main app, btw
Related resources
October 16, 2004 10:53:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

whonut wrote:
> Thanks, Doug.
>
> I am under the impression - hopefully not mistakenly - that since the
> Tascam has a d/a converter I won't need much of a soundcard. I have to
> look at the Tascam more closely but I don't think I will have to
> monitor the sound thru the computer. I think I'm going to use Cubase
> as my main app, btw

The FW1880 will be your "soundcard". You will input and output all of
your audio through it.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 2:32:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

whonut wrote:

> I want to buy a Dell computer and pair it with a Tascam FW1880 audio
> interface. Is Dell a bad choice for a pc dedicated to audio apps
> only? Any alternatives?
>
> And if Dell is worth getting, which is the better way to interface via
> firewire: the Dell card or thru the optional Soundblaster Audigy
> firewire port - or should I get both? I want to put a decent
> soundcard in this pc so I can experiment while I save up the dough for
> the Tascam.

Dell have been running some stunning value for money deals recently in the
UK, so watch out for special offers.

A Dell is really no better or worse than most other PCs in general but
I've noted that their harware now is often proprietary which makes service
only possible via Dell and this is likely to be more costly than one built
using generic parts, should a fault arise.

Also beware that if your Dell requires service - don't expect your hard
drive *not* to be re-formatted by Dell losing all your data and
applications. Heard a few sob stories about this.

The internal audio hardware ( on any inexpensive PC ) is likely to be
built into the 'chipset' and not of the best quality. Best to check
exactly what you're getting in terms of the audio hardware. You can always
add a separate card if required.

Graham
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 8:17:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Thanks to all...

Most of the Dells I've configured on their site (which run in the
$1,000-$1,200 range) offer two ways to interface via firewire: the
Dell firewire card or thru the Soundblaster Audigy firewire port.
Which is better - or should I get both? Will having two ports cause
problems? The 24 bit Audigy is the best soundcard they offer and its
good enough for my hopefully very temporary needs.

I already have a Dell and in general I have been happy with it. But
even something as simple as adding a 2nd hard drive was a pain because
it wouldn't recognize the one I bought and ultimately I was forced to
get one directly from Dell. Any recommendations for a quality generic
PC?

Alternatively, who makes PCs designed for audio? I've seen the
Carillions and they cost about a grand more than the Dells when
configured similarly.

tr
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 11:01:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"whonut" <trlounge@aol.com> wrote in message
news:fc2a5a89.0410160749.5c90d1b5@posting.google.com...
> I want to buy a Dell computer and pair it with a Tascam FW1880 audio
> interface. Is Dell a bad choice for a pc dedicated to audio apps
> only? Any alternatives?

I have used Dell machines for producing commercials since 1994. First with
Software Audio Workshop and for more than three years with Pro Tools. I'm on
my third Dell and will more than likely get another when it is time to
upgrade.


--
Chris White, Freelance Advertising Writer & Voice Overs*
Email: chris@chriswhite.com Web: www.chriswhite.com
Phone: 757-621-1348
*Your opinion may vary
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 4:54:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 16 Oct 2004 08:49:02 -0700, trlounge@aol.com (whonut) wrote:

>I want to buy a Dell computer and pair it with a Tascam FW1880 audio
>interface. Is Dell a bad choice for a pc dedicated to audio apps
>only? Any alternatives?

Build your own, or get a local experienced computer-musician to do it
for you. You'll get better and cheaper. You won't receive a machine
pre-installed with lots of toy programs. And you'll get standard,
easily replaceable and upgradable parts.

>
>And if Dell is worth getting, which is the better way to interface via
>firewire: the Dell card or thru the optional Soundblaster Audigy
>firewire port - or should I get both? I want to put a decent
>soundcard in this pc so I can experiment while I save up the dough for
>the Tascam.

An Audigy isn't a decent sound card for your purposes. If you need a
stopgap card, put in an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. They're very
attractively priced now - much less than an Audigy.

Firewire cards are cheap commodity items now. The one on an Audigy
will work. So will just about any other one.


CubaseFAQ www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm
"Possibly the world's least impressive web site": George Perfect
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 4:58:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 17 Oct 2004 04:17:44 -0700, trlounge@aol.com (whonut) wrote:

>I already have a Dell and in general I have been happy with it. But
>even something as simple as adding a 2nd hard drive was a pain because
>it wouldn't recognize the one I bought and ultimately I was forced to
>get one directly from Dell.

That really is unforgivable. Did you discover just what was
non-standard about the Dell's disk interface?

CubaseFAQ www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm
"Possibly the world's least impressive web site": George Perfect
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 8:41:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Laurence Payne <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<mtm4n05se3edld29pduujrh7pv5r42r820@4ax.com>...
> On 16 Oct 2004 08:49:02 -0700, trlounge@aol.com (whonut) wrote:
>
> >I want to buy a Dell computer and pair it with a Tascam FW1880 audio
> >interface. Is Dell a bad choice for a pc dedicated to audio apps
> >only? Any alternatives?
>
> Build your own, or get a local experienced computer-musician to do it
> for you. You'll get better and cheaper. You won't receive a machine
> pre-installed with lots of toy programs. And you'll get standard,
> easily replaceable and upgradable parts.
>
> >
> >And if Dell is worth getting, which is the better way to interface via
> >firewire: the Dell card or thru the optional Soundblaster Audigy
> >firewire port - or should I get both? I want to put a decent
> >soundcard in this pc so I can experiment while I save up the dough for
> >the Tascam.
>
> An Audigy isn't a decent sound card for your purposes. If you need a
> stopgap card, put in an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. They're very
> attractively priced now - much less than an Audigy.
>
> Firewire cards are cheap commodity items now. The one on an Audigy
> will work. So will just about any other one.
>
>
> CubaseFAQ www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm
> "Possibly the world's least impressive web site": George Perfect


Thank you, Laurence. I have been slowly gravitating towards deciding
to dump the idea of buying a Dell again, and your advice sealed the
deal. Thanks again.
!