mightymouse_81

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2002
Ok, here's the deal. I bought the WD1200JB a couple weeks ago when my IBM-DTLA-300745 crapped out on me (I'm going to call in the warranty on that one). I dual boot Slackware 8.1 and Windows 2000 Pro. The drive performes beautifully in Linux, however, in Windows, the performance is much less that sub-par! I double checked BIOS settings, and made sure that it is set to "DMA if available". Unfortunately, it is still running in PIO mode!! I'm very frustrated having a very fast hard drive that maxes out at 2-3 MB/s when it should be 15x that. I could use any suggestions. Here's what I'm running if it will help anyone.

MSI-KT266 PRO-2 (VIA KT266A)
Athlon XP 1600+
256MB PC2100 Micron/Crucial
WD1200JB
Windows 2000 pro
Latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers

sturm

Splendid
in the hardware listing make sure the drivers are loading correctly for the ide controllers. i had trouble with a mbr virus that windows detected and would only load in safe mode. Went to use my cdrom but wasnt listed. checked hardware and the ide controller drivers werent loaded, hence HD's only ran in pio mode.

mightymouse_81

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2002
I've already checked that. Everything listed is ok as far as I know. No conflicts, no "drivers not installed", especially with the IDE controllers. That and the hard drive properties were the first things I checked.

SolidReactor

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
"With DMA enabled on IDE channels, UDMA/66 (or UMDA/100) is still disabled by default in Windows 2000, possibly also in Windows XP" - that is said in the "X-setup" program....

Surf into: "http://www.xteq.com/" and get the "x-setup", a windows Tweak program. then goto (in that program) into "Hardware --> Hard Disk ----> windows 2k/xp UMDA"
check the box for UMDA 100 (I think that's YOUR rightfully and only option" ;) )
if you still got any question(s) e-mail me "essexsx@hotmail.com" (msn) and by the way, that's a verry good choice you made, WD is really fast and you deserve umda100 =)

b]<i> Solid Reactor© </i></b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
There is a small chance it could be your cables, intermittant errors making windows switch to PIO.
Try swapping them around.
Also, try reinstalling the chipset drivers and the primary/secondary channel drivers.

<b>And if you gaze for long into Toms Hardware Forums, The Forum gazes also into you! :eek: </b>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you checked your primary and secondary controllers properties in device manager? First make sure you have the microsoft IDE drivers installed then check in the advanced properties of your primary and secondary controllers to make sure it is set to dma if available.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I knew it! My DVD drive did something similar a month or so back. One day it just flipped back to PIO and nothing would make it change, untill i reinstalled the secondary IDE channel drivers. Wierd.

<b>And if you gaze for long into Toms Hardware Forums, The Forum gazes also into you! :eek: </b>