prob a simple question

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
A quick question for you guys...
I currently am using a western digital 60gb harddrive and its about full so I am going to get the wb120jb to go along with it...
.....when I add this new drive to my system, what do I do?....just format it and add an os to it?...I will be running the 120 as a master of course and my existing one as a slave.....i dont want to lose the information that is on my 60 harddrive....in other words what is the best way to go about doing this?
Ive never had this situation =-[

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I would use the oppertunity to get a fresh install of the OS. So just add the new drive, partition it as you see fit and then install the OS.
If you dont want to reinstall the OS you can also make a disk-2-disk copy of your old drive to the new using e.g. Norton Ghost.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
can I just partition and install the os on the new drive.....and then hook the other drive up as a slave?....and just keep what is on the existing drive on there?.....also one more question
my new drive is the special edition 8mb cache but my old one is the 2mb edition....how will these two drives work together?....
thanks

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can do just what you want however the vast majority of your apps are not going to work correctly. A drive to drive copy would cure this problem and all will work as it used to.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
so I could use like norton ghost or something>?....what is the best way to copy drive to drive?.....and how do you go about it?
thanks again

Croaker

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I like PowerQuest Partition Magic Pro. I have 7.0 but I think there is 8.0 now. I moved a Win 2000 NTFS partition from a 30 gig IBM to my new 80gig WD NO problems at all.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
thanks man....I had a friend that had norton ghost and I read through the manual and it seems easy to do so I am going to give it a whirl
Thanks for all of your help