Lock On 1.1 demo (Flaming Cliffs)...

....is available from http://lockon.ru/

After a quick flight, the version number (1.1) seems appropriate, IMHO
(disclaimer: I haven't read the doc yet). Just don't set your
expectations too high, think about it as the Operation Fighting Tiger
add-on of the Falcon 3 days.

One noticable improvement is the SU25 flight... err... ground model.

Regards,
Mr. Sylvestre

In article <421af931$0$9132$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>,
MrSylvestre@worldcompany.com (Mr. Sylvestre) wrote:

> One noticable improvement is the SU25 flight... err... ground model.

I've always said the only thing I want from this add-on is the advanced
flight/landing model. The rest is just tweaks to the engine anyway.

However flying the Su-25 around I realise, as I suspected, that although
I'll happily pay out for this episode in the Flanker story, what I
*really* want is this level of flight model on the bloody Flanker!!!!!

The 25 is ok for a bit of low speed messing about (especially if you
design a mission in 1.02 with low fuel and no weapons and port it over
to the right demo file name), but it's like flying a tank, and that was
never what got me into flight sims.

Oh, hang on... Tornado got me into flight sims. Er, that's a bit (ok, a
lot) of a tank until you kick in the afterburners.

Well, yes. I was young then and easily impressed. Ever since I got my
hands on Flanker 1.0 I need an aerial Ferrari, not a sluggardly Humvee.
That's why I've never bothered with the A10 or Su25 in Lomac. Ground
attack is what I like, but doing it at Cessna speeds and without the
sophistication of (for example) Tornado's weapons systems isn't very
exciting.

Anyway, one thing I've noticed in the demo is that viewing distance for
explosions seems greatly enhanced... everything just seems "clearer" in
the distance, and when I zoom the view I can see tanks etc a long way off.
Before I found it hard to make anything out until they popped up too
close.

Mind you, I still can't hit anything with the Su-25's weapons. Makes you
realise why the Russians got stuffed in Afghanistan. Not that the Yanks
did much better with their rather fragile Apaches in Iraq. I don't
particularly want to fly LGB missions at 10km high, but give me dumb iron
bombs strapped to a fully flight modelled 27 or 33 and I'll be one happy
camper. Probably still a dead happy camper, but that's what the recover
button's for ;-)

Andrew McP

skeksis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

"Mr. Sylvestre" <MrSylvestre@worldcompany.com> wrote in news:421af931$0
$9132$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be:

> ...is available from http://lockon.ru/

Hmmm...after clicking on the link that states the demo version is available
fro download there does not seem to be an actual active link. How were you
able to start the download?

Skeksis

Create an account and log on, then you can download from there.
Your best bet is to check out the forums, there are a few that have set up
mirrors to download from
that are much quicker than LockOn.Ru.

--
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body,

"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."
-Bob Dylan-

Gene (Dauntless) Flannery
Deb (The Witch of Endor) Baer