Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Powerline network adapter

Last response: in Networking
November 11, 2012 3:32:21 PM

Hello,
Can a powerline network adapter be used to connect a modem to a router WAN port?
November 11, 2012 4:07:54 PM

It should work both are just ethernet and the powerline device functions as a switch. Just be sure not to try to run more than the 2 powerline devices.
m
l

Best solution

November 11, 2012 6:02:54 PM

nonguru said:
Hello,
Can a powerline network adapter be used to connect a modem to a router WAN port?
Yes, but it does have the potential to be the speed bottleneck in your network depending on the quality of your home electrical wiring. Expect to get 20-80Mbps depending on the adapters and quality of your home wiring. Also avoid attaching a powerline device to a power strip or having a strong interference producer (like a fan or other motor) on the same circuit unless the fan is on a 6 foot extension cord, which will attenuate the interference.

Here is a good site to compare realistic expectations for powerline adapters: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/powerline-charts/...
Related resources
November 18, 2012 12:36:07 AM

Best answer selected by nonguru.
m
l
November 18, 2012 12:39:19 AM

Thanks. I used Netgear XET1001, 85Mbps units. It did work okay when just the computer was connected to a router LAN output. When an internet phone was connected to another LAN port on the router, neither worked. Is this a bandwidth issue, possibly?
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:10:14 AM

nonguru said:
Thanks. I used Netgear XET1001, 85Mbps units. It did work okay when just the computer was connected to a router LAN output. When an internet phone was connected to another LAN port on the router, neither worked. Is this a bandwidth issue, possibly?
I doubt that it is a bandwidth issue, what internet phone was connected? There are issues with specific internet phone connections but for most there are solutions.
m
l
!