Telling Windows to not use an adapter for internet connectivity?

MongkeKhan

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I am wondering if this is possible. I have a pretty complex set up... but basically, I have a router at one end of the house (plugged into the phone line), connected to a range extender that then connects wirelessly to my and other computers. I recently bought a media server, and I have set up a second router right beside my computer that connects via ethernet to one other computer and the media server device.

The problem is, when I have the ethernet adapter enabled, my Internet slows to a crawl, presumably because Windows is trying to access the Internet through it when it has no access. Therefore, is there anyway that I can tell Windows that it is purely a data network, and that it should only use the wireless adapter to access the Internet?

MongkeKhan

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

Not familiar with the term sub-net, what is it exactly?

I tried setting the second router to 10.10.1.1, then I manually set the Ethernet adapter to set my computer as 10.10.1.2 with 10.10.1.1 as the gateway. So now the ethernet adapter on my computer is set to that, while the wireless adapter is still hooked up to the range extender on a 10.0.0.2 IP address. Unfortunately, I noticed no difference. The Internet is still slow when the ethernet adapter is enabled, and speeds up when it is disabled.

TRENDING THREADS