Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I have a few questions. I have been looking for a nice set of headphones for under $100.00 with a mic. I am confused about a few things. First, the difference between USB headphones and analog. I have read that USB provide better sound, but it seems to me that they would bypass the soundcard and cause more drain on the cpu. I have a SB Live!, so would USB headphones really be that much better than analog? Then the important question is what would you recommend? I don't want a set of speakers because my set is fine and I use a headset 90% of the time to play online games and chat. The ones I have now are cheap, and hurt my ears after extended use and don't provide the best sound.

The other question I have is whether or not a new sound card would be worth purchasing with a good headset. I plan on upgrading my computer soon, and wonder if onboard sound would be good enough, or if I should swap out my SB Live!, or whether I should buy a newer sound card. I don't ever plan on using 5.1 sound and never watch DVD's on my computer.

Also, if you can refer me to other resources on the Internet, that would also help. Thanks a lot

ccsakura

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I'm using Altec Lasing AHS-20, it cost about 20bucks only. I think you can get AHS-30 for the one more function and it's really great headset for that price. I've 5.1 sound system at my home but I found the headset's positioning is much more accurate than the speakers still. Especially I play CS quite much that required positioning to identify someone is coming from where :). I couldn't distinguish 2people are moving together in speakers but I'm able to do it and probably more than 3 in same time when using it. Of coz it has mic and the cable is 10ft or something :) I hope it helps

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Thanks for the post. Now I am trying to decide between the Plantronics .Audio 90 and the Altec Lansing AHS 30. Does anyone have experience with either of these? Or are there other recommendations? Is there a reason why I should go with USB instead?

I think that it is strange how hard it is to find good information on headsets. Almost all the information I can find is at the manufacturers sites, but they always make their products look good. I want to know the bad too. It surprises me how little attention they get when speakers aren't that great when using online chat while playing online games. It makes gaming so much more fun when you can talk at the same time and using speakers and a mic will only work if you want them to hear everything that happens on your end. Headsets are the way to go, but I don't want to give up any sound quality and I don't want to be in any discomfort.

Right now I am leaning towards the Plantronics .Audio 90 because it looks more comfortable with the rubber across the top. Please let me know of any opinions you might have or I'll just buy the Plantronics headset in the next day or two.

As a last remark, I would be willing to spend the $75.00 for Plantronics DSP-500 <i>IF</i> I could be convinced that it would provide much better sound when compared to the analog set connected to a SB Live!