New to Motorola - phone book questions

I have been a Nokia cell phone owner for a number of years but recently
switched to the Motorola V551.

I copied my phone book entires from the sim card that was in my Nokia but
now the address book shows two entries ... 1 on the phone and 1 on the sim
card. On the Nokia's you could indicate which address book you wanted to
use but I don't see this on the Motorola.

Does anyone know if it is possible to pick your address book? Also ... if
not how can I copy all addresses from the sim card and then delete the sim
card entries so only one in displayed?

TIA
--
___________________
Ann

    Yes, it is relatively easy to do.
    I also switched from Nokia to the v551.

    In phonebook/addressbook pick your item and click on details then edit while
    in edit one choice is store to: you can pick phone or sim or maybe both,
    I'm not sure of the both choice, I am working from memory.

    Also when entering new numbers you can choose the same way.

    On 11/23/04 11:57 AM, in article
    41a3b1cc$0$5219$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com>
    wrote:

    > I have been a Nokia cell phone owner for a number of years but recently
    > switched to the Motorola V551.
    >
    > I copied my phone book entires from the sim card that was in my Nokia but
    > now the address book shows two entries ... 1 on the phone and 1 on the sim
    > card. On the Nokia's you could indicate which address book you wanted to
    > use but I don't see this on the Motorola.
    >
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to pick your address book? Also ... if
    > not how can I copy all addresses from the sim card and then delete the sim
    > card entries so only one in displayed?
    >
    > TIA

    How do you add multiple phone book entries for one name?

    --
    tone100
    http://cellphoneforums.net

    "tone100" <tone100.1hgbct@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

    > How do you add multiple phone book entries for one name?

    Add the first entry's details, then select ...MORE... (at the bottom of the
    deatils), then "add number" ???

    Bearing in mind that each, while having the same name, will appear as
    separate lines.

    You'll get used to it........

    --
    Antz
    Part of the UKtm family

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <32ou51F3pu500U1@individual.net> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:22:34 -0000,
    ">-©LuVbuG©-<" <anthony_deadabo@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"tone100" <tone100.1hgbct@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> How do you add multiple phone book entries for one name?
    >
    >Add the first entry's details, then select ...MORE... (at the bottom of the
    >deatils), then "add number" ???
    >
    >Bearing in mind that each, while having the same name, will appear as
    >separate lines.
    >
    >You'll get used to it........

    Why should you have to?

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:57:39 GMT, John Navas
    <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    >[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    >In <32ou51F3pu500U1@individual.net> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:22:34 -0000,
    >">-©LuVbuG©-<" <anthony_deadabo@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"tone100" <tone100.1hgbct@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> How do you add multiple phone book entries for one name?
    >>
    >>Add the first entry's details, then select ...MORE... (at the bottom of the
    >>deatils), then "add number" ???
    >>
    >>Bearing in mind that each, while having the same name, will appear as
    >>separate lines.
    >>
    >>You'll get used to it........
    >
    >Why should you have to?

    It is a bit awkward with the default settings, which shows all the
    entries and only three on the screen at a time. But you can change
    that to make it much nicer. (I'm talking V551 here, I don't know about
    the others.)

    Enter the address book, press the menu key. Scroll to setup, select
    it. Change View by to "List" and View to "Primary Contacts". Now you
    get one listing for each set of entries, which is the primary entry
    for that name. I guess by default that is the first entry that you
    make for each one. As you scroll down the primary entries, you can
    select one and then use the up and down keys to move between all the
    entries.

    You can change the primary entry for each set by scrolling to the
    primary entry and using the menu key, which has a "Set Primary"
    option.

    dgk wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:57:39 GMT, John Navas
    > <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >

    >>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >>
    >>In <32ou51F3pu500U1@individual.net> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:22:34 -0000,
    >>">-©LuVbuG©-<" <anthony_deadabo@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"tone100" <tone100.1hgbct@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

    >>>Add the first entry's details, then select ...MORE... (at the bottom of the
    >>>deatils), then "add number" ???
    >>>
    >>>Bearing in mind that each, while having the same name, will appear as
    >>>separate lines.
    >>>
    >>>You'll get used to it........
    >>
    >>Why should you have to?
    >

    > It is a bit awkward with the default settings, which shows all the
    > entries and only three on the screen at a time. But you can change
    > that to make it much nicer. (I'm talking V551 here, I don't know about
    > the others.)
    >
    > Enter the address book, press the menu key. Scroll to setup, select
    > it. Change View by to "List" and View to "Primary Contacts". Now you
    > get one listing for each set of entries, which is the primary entry
    > for that name. I guess by default that is the first entry that you
    > make for each one. As you scroll down the primary entries, you can
    > select one and then use the up and down keys to move between all the
    > entries.
    >
    > You can change the primary entry for each set by scrolling to the
    > primary entry and using the menu key, which has a "Set Primary"
    > option.

    I don't see what limitation this is! I can do anything I can think of
    with the phonebook. Even when I just had a V60i. I could list BOTH of
    your "home" phones (and make the one you actually answer PRIMARY) and I
    can list your work cell phone and your personal cell phone and your
    girlfriend's cell phone, if I want to. If it's fixed-record style,
    you'd be limited to one cell phone and one home phone and so on.

    I could see you complain if it was just a flat-file style like the
    Star-Tac, where I had to enter MOM HOME separately from MOM CELL and so
    on. That was a lot of TAPping!

    Peace,
    Ron!

    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <32ou51F3pu500U1@individual.net> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:22:34 -0000,
    > ">-©LuVbuG©-<" <anthony_deadabo@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"tone100" <tone100.1hgbct@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> How do you add multiple phone book entries for one name?
    >>
    >>Add the first entry's details, then select ...MORE... (at the bottom of
    >>the
    >>deatils), then "add number" ???
    >>
    >>Bearing in mind that each, while having the same name, will appear as
    >>separate lines.
    >>
    >>You'll get used to it........
    >
    > Why should you have to?

    Because that's the way that Moto do things - I don't have any problem with
    it.

    I view my phonebook by "primary contact", as the other poster said.
    Detailling on each will show all entries.......

    --
    Antz
    Part of the UKtm family

    I'm not sure this is the answer to what I think the OP asked. Combining
    Ann's question and my case: I have a number of entries on the SIM. I can
    copy these to the phone but then I have 2 entries in the address book
    for each: 1 on phone and 1 on SIM.
    - Can I then set the phone to show just the phone AB contents, just the
    SIM contents or both?
    - Is there a way to delete all entries from just the phone or just the SIM?
    - Is there a way to move all entries from the SIM to the phone or
    vice-versa?
    - Or is the only way to individually edit/delete each and every entry?
    That could be a real pain depending on how many entries are involved.

    In <769gs05e34o10p9hdaelassfcrsdtrsqj2@4ax.com> on Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:41:23
    -0500, dgk <sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:57:39 GMT, John Navas
    ><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >
    >>In <32ou51F3pu500U1@individual.net> on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:22:34 -0000,
    >>">-©LuVbuG©-<" <anthony_deadabo@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"tone100" <tone100.1hgbct@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

    >>>Add the first entry's details, then select ...MORE... (at the bottom of the
    >>>deatils), then "add number" ???
    >>>
    >>>Bearing in mind that each, while having the same name, will appear as
    >>>separate lines.
    >>>
    >>>You'll get used to it........
    >>
    >>Why should you have to?
    >
    >It is a bit awkward with the default settings, which shows all the
    >entries and only three on the screen at a time. But you can change
    >that to make it much nicer. (I'm talking V551 here, I don't know about
    >the others.)
    >
    >Enter the address book, press the menu key. Scroll to setup, select
    >it. Change View by to "List" and View to "Primary Contacts". Now you
    >get one listing for each set of entries, which is the primary entry
    >for that name. I guess by default that is the first entry that you
    >make for each one. As you scroll down the primary entries, you can
    >select one and then use the up and down keys to move between all the
    >entries.
    >
    >You can change the primary entry for each set by scrolling to the
    >primary entry and using the menu key, which has a "Set Primary"
    >option.

    That works after a fashion, but I personally find it less satisfactory than
    the more logical organization provided by other phone manufacturers,
    especially in small details -- for example, when I send a text message to a
    contact in my Sony Ericsson phone, it's smart enough to pre-select the Mobile
    number, no matter what number is set as the Default, whereas Motorola always
    pre-selects the Primary number, even if it's not a Mobile number.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    * While entering a new entry you must choose which memory to store the
    phone number. Either Phone or SIM.

    * If you choose the SIM, notice that the speed-dial numbers begin with
    1000# to make room for the phone's numbers first. Also notice that you
    can't define the ring-ID or photo ID of the person, etc. When you
    change back to "Phone" for the number's storage, it returns those
    missing features.

    * MY sim says it will store 250 phone numbers. It's unused right now.

    * When you make another phonebook entry, the previously selected storage
    location becomes the default, as the phone helpfully assumes you'll
    store everything to one place. It'd be a drag to have to toggle it
    every time I make an entry!!

    If you enter numbers to both the SIM and the phone, you'll have
    duplicates on your list. Notice that a SIM entry does not know what
    device (Home, Work Mobile, etc.) But if you indicate a "category" such
    as business, VIP's, etc, (to the ones in the phone), you'll be able to
    look at just those by going to the address book/menu/categories and
    choosing to look at just that category. For the sim, those entries are
    displayed when you show "all" or the category "general". To make it
    easy, a person double-storing their numbers, you might want to give all
    entries on the phone one category (like Personal) to help you look at
    just one list.

    But if you're wanting to store the phone numbers for when you move to
    another phone, maybe backing them up on your PC is the best bet! Then
    you're covered no matter what happens - what if you drop the phone in
    the alligators, at the zoo? Having phone numbers "backed up" on the SIM
    does not cover all possible disasters!

    Peace,
    Ron!

    Jerry wrote:

    > I'm not sure this is the answer to what I think the OP asked. Combining
    > Ann's question and my case: I have a number of entries on the SIM. I can
    > copy these to the phone but then I have 2 entries in the address book
    > for each: 1 on phone and 1 on SIM.
    > - Can I then set the phone to show just the phone AB contents, just the
    > SIM contents or both?
    > - Is there a way to delete all entries from just the phone or just the SIM?
    > - Is there a way to move all entries from the SIM to the phone or
    > vice-versa?
    > - Or is the only way to individually edit/delete each and every entry?
    > That could be a real pain depending on how many entries are involved.
    >
    > MacClanahan wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, it is relatively easy to do.
    >> I also switched from Nokia to the v551.
    >>
    >> In phonebook/addressbook pick your item and click on details then edit
    >> while
    >> in edit one choice is store to: you can pick phone or sim or maybe both,
    >> I'm not sure of the both choice, I am working from memory.
    >>
    >> Also when entering new numbers you can choose the same way.
    >>

    >> On 11/23/04 11:57 AM, in article
    >> 41a3b1cc$0$5219$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have been a Nokia cell phone owner for a number of years but recently
    >>> switched to the Motorola V551.
    >>>
    >>> I copied my phone book entires from the sim card that was in my Nokia
    >>> but
    >>> now the address book shows two entries ... 1 on the phone and 1 on
    >>> the sim
    >>> card. On the Nokia's you could indicate which address book you
    >>> wanted to
    >>> use but I don't see this on the Motorola.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know if it is possible to pick your address book? Also
    >>> ... if
    >>> not how can I copy all addresses from the sim card and then delete
    >>> the sim
    >>> card entries so only one in displayed?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Thanks for all of the info. Now I think I know all there is to know
    about this phone.

    --
    tone100
    http://cellphoneforums.net

    >-©LuVbuG©-< wrote:
    > "tone100" <tone100.1hgbct@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>How do you add multiple phone book entries for one name?
    >

    > Add the first entry's details, then select ...MORE... (at the bottom of the
    > deatils), then "add number" ???
    >
    > Bearing in mind that each, while having the same name, will appear as
    > separate lines.
    >
    > You'll get used to it........

    This is quite idiotic way to implment the phonebook method. Who in the
    right mind design this software? Or perhaps they do not realized that
    this is not 1980.

    This is quite a turn-off to use motorola phones.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    "Sarah Tanembaum" <sarahtanembaum@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >-©LuVbuG©-< wrote:
    >> "tone100" <tone100.1hgbct@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>How do you add multiple phone book entries for one name?
    >>

    >> Add the first entry's details, then select ...MORE... (at the bottom of
    >> the deatils), then "add number" ???
    >>
    >> Bearing in mind that each, while having the same name, will appear as
    >> separate lines.
    >>
    >> You'll get used to it........
    >>
    > This is quite idiotic way to implment the phonebook method. Who in the
    > right mind design this software? Or perhaps they do not realized that this
    > is not 1980.
    >
    > This is quite a turn-off to use motorola phones.

    It's the "Non-Nokia" way of doing things. If you've always used Motorola
    phones, you'd find it harder to adapt to an alternative.

    Horses for courses......

    --
    Antz
    A Prosperous 2005 to all Usenet posters

    i think you're just a freeek
    and kind of snooty

    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <769gs05e34o10p9hdaelassfcrsdtrsqj2@4ax.com> on Tue, 21 Dec 2004
    08:41:23
    > -0500, dgk <sonicechoes-spamless@hot-nospamp-mail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:57:39 GMT, John Navas
    > ><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    > >>Why should you have to?
    > >
    > >It is a bit awkward with the default settings, which shows all the
    > >entries and only three on the screen at a time. But you can change
    > >that to make it much nicer. (I'm talking V551 here, I don't know about
    > >the others.)
    > >
    > >Enter the address book, press the menu key. Scroll to setup, select
    > >it. Change View by to "List" and View to "Primary Contacts". Now you
    > >get one listing for each set of entries, which is the primary entry
    > >for that name. I guess by default that is the first entry that you
    > >make for each one. As you scroll down the primary entries, you can
    > >select one and then use the up and down keys to move between all the
    > >entries.
    > >
    > >You can change the primary entry for each set by scrolling to the
    > >primary entry and using the menu key, which has a "Set Primary"
    > >option.
    >
    > That works after a fashion, but I personally find it less satisfactory
    than
    > the more logical organization provided by other phone manufacturers,
    > especially in small details -- for example, when I send a text message to
    > contact in my Sony Ericsson phone, it's smart enough to pre-select the
    Mobile
    > number, no matter what number is set as the Default, whereas Motorola
    always
    > pre-selects the Primary number, even if it's not a Mobile number.

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Jumping in late to this thread as I just got a v551 and have been
    frustrated w/ the phone book (Cingular).

    I've applied the "show primary" etc, and found another quick way to
    change...when the address book is showing the entry, simply use the
    right arrow on the d-pad and the icon will change to another entry, you
    can cycle thru all of them (if applicable).

    It appears that this will reset the primary entry to the last one used,
    instead of reverting to the primary you had chosen...so beware.

    --
    Beltane
    Beltane's Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=69165

Motorola Nokia Phones Books