LCD Monitors for Flight Simulator 2004

Last response: in Video Games
a b C Monitor
February 24, 2005 5:03:46 PM

I am using Flight Simulator 2004 and NASCAR 2003. I am looking for
a new monitor. I have heard that the LCD monitors are not responsive
enough to run programs like these very well like the CRTs. Can
anyone give me any advice on this?

February 25, 2005 12:51:51 AM

"cwbell1" <cwbell1@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
>I am using Flight Simulator 2004 and NASCAR 2003. I am looking for
> a new monitor. I have heard that the LCD monitors are not responsive
> enough to run programs like these very well like the CRTs. Can
> anyone give me any advice on this?

I bought a Sony 19" LCD with 12ms response time...I'll never go back to a
CRT.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 25, 2005 3:15:06 AM

With all respect whoever told you this is wrong. Even on my lowly 17"
philips with 40 ms response time I never saw anything that could be
qualified of "ghosting" in FS or in any other game that I have tried.

I am now playing FS9 on a Dell 20" TFT in 1600x1200 and the quality is
excellent. I don't even remember how it was on my 21" CRT, but I don't even
want to think about it anymore.

Go on and buy yourself a TFT, you won't regret it.

Lorenzo
www.brokenbones.d2g.com

"cwbell1" <cwbell1@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
>I am using Flight Simulator 2004 and NASCAR 2003. I am looking for
> a new monitor. I have heard that the LCD monitors are not responsive
> enough to run programs like these very well like the CRTs. Can
> anyone give me any advice on this?

a b C Monitor
February 25, 2005 3:15:07 AM

Thanks Lorenzo.
I have read about this on several web sites. Some have complained
about "skipping" or the skreen not keeping up with the program. With
all of the goodies set, Flight Sim seems to "drag" . I like to run it
full
bore on my CRT.
I also use my CRT for photography development, so you can see I
need the clarity and response of both worlds. ????????

a b C Monitor
February 25, 2005 3:15:08 AM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:16:00 -0600, cwbell1
<cwbell1@forums.simradar.com> wrote:

>Thanks Lorenzo.
>I have read about this on several web sites. Some have complained
>about "skipping" or the skreen not keeping up with the program.

I've seen this on my 30ms LCD in FPS games and that is partly why I
went back to CRT. I use my LCD on my second PC for Internet etc. If he
never noticed it on a 40ms LCD then he must be half blind. Just make
sure you get a 16ms or faster LCD and you should be fine.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 25, 2005 6:49:24 AM

"JC" <hellno@aol.com> wrote in message

> "cwbell1" <cwbell1@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Flight Simulator 2004 and NASCAR 2003. I am looking for
>> a new monitor. I have heard that the LCD monitors are not responsive
>> enough to run programs like these very well like the CRTs. Can
>> anyone give me any advice on this?
>

> I bought a Sony 19" LCD with 12ms response time...I'll never go back to a
> CRT.

Just for the record, how much did this monitor cost?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 25, 2005 10:17:25 AM

That's not quite right. You can run these programs fine on a LCD.
More accurate would be an LCD is not as accurate or fast as a CRT.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"cwbell1" <cwbell1@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message news:1109275395.29993@forums.simradar.com...
>I am using Flight Simulator 2004 and NASCAR 2003. I am looking for
> a new monitor. I have heard that the LCD monitors are not responsive
> enough to run programs like these very well like the CRTs. Can
> anyone give me any advice on this?

a b C Monitor
February 25, 2005 12:20:38 PM

"cwbell1" <cwbell1@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
> I am using Flight Simulator 2004 and NASCAR 2003. I am looking for
> a new monitor. I have heard that the LCD monitors are not responsive
> enough to run programs like these very well like the CRTs. Can
> anyone give me any advice on this?
I don't mind LCD's.
Often the color black is not completely black on LCD. So if you do a lot of
nigth-flying it may look a bit different than on a CRT. But still usuable.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 25, 2005 12:20:39 PM

Thanks folks. Now the only question will be will if the blacks
interfere
with my photography adjustments.
I do a lot of night flying so I would be interested in just what the
difference in the black tone would be. Lighter, darker ??????

February 25, 2005 6:12:55 PM

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> Just for the record, how much did this monitor cost?

$499 after $100 mail in rebate at Best Buy. This was in December.
Sony SDM-HS94P
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 26, 2005 1:07:43 AM

Yawn

"cwbell1" <cwbell1@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
>I am using Flight Simulator 2004 and NASCAR 2003. I am looking for
> a new monitor. I have heard that the LCD monitors are not responsive
> enough to run programs like these very well like the CRTs. Can
> anyone give me any advice on this?

a b C Monitor
February 26, 2005 2:14:08 AM

> Thanks folks. Now the only question will be will if the blacks
> interfere
> with my photography adjustments.
> I do a lot of night flying so I would be interested in just what the
> difference in the black tone would be. Lighter, darker ??????

sorry, but what do you mean about photography adjustments ?
just look for a good contrast value.
I hate flat screens cuz black looks gray. But if you keep the light in the
room down it will better the contrast. Try it - you can always use it as a
secondary display.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 26, 2005 1:53:52 PM

Nicolaj,
Concerning the blacks. I want to print out what I see on my screen. It

is more than contrast that counts. It looks like I will get a more true

color from the CRTs. I'm sure everyone has their own idea. I
appreciate everybody's imput.

a b C Monitor
February 26, 2005 3:04:54 PM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:53:52 -0600, cwbell1
<cwbell1@forums.simradar.com> wrote:

>Nicolaj,
>Concerning the blacks. I want to print out what I see on my screen. It
>
>is more than contrast that counts. It looks like I will get a more true
>
>color from the CRTs. I'm sure everyone has their own idea. I
>appreciate everybody's imput.

Coming from someone who owns both an LCD and a CRT, yes, you will get
truer colors on the CRT.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 26, 2005 5:32:14 PM

I just bought a 19 in Westinghouse LCD, my games run perfect and beeootiful.
I dont have MS flight sim, but do play Pacific fighters, feels like I have a
new machine. This is an excellent monitor.
Got it for $350 at Best Buy on sale.

"cwbell1" <cwbell1@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
> I am using Flight Simulator 2004 and NASCAR 2003. I am looking for
> a new monitor. I have heard that the LCD monitors are not responsive
> enough to run programs like these very well like the CRTs. Can
> anyone give me any advice on this?

a b C Monitor
February 26, 2005 5:38:44 PM

I recommend all to get LCDs they emmit less radiation and take up less
space. As far as quality in gaming compared to a CRT, I thinkl its no longer
an issue that today LCDs will run circles around and CRT unlees you buy a
cheaper low end low quality one. Just look at the specs and buy a decent
monitor. Like I said in my earlier post I went with the 19 in Westinghouse,
it wasnt even that expensive but the specs were good and the quality is
high. I have no regrets at all.

"James West" <james.west@ss.gov> wrote in message
> Yawn

> "cwbell1" <cwbell1@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
> >I am using Flight Simulator 2004 and NASCAR 2003. I am looking for
> > a new monitor. I have heard that the LCD monitors are not responsive
> > enough to run programs like these very well like the CRTs. Can
> > anyone give me any advice on this?

a b C Monitor
February 27, 2005 3:50:50 AM

That CRT still runs circles around an LCD is the fact. Not the conjecture you made that LCD runs circles around CRT.
Even a cheap CRT reproduces visual images better than the most expensive LCD of today. I will say that LCD's became
useable in the last few years for games and graphics. And maybe in the next few years will catch up with CRT's.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote in message news:1121jm8138qqdaf@corp.supernews.com...
>I recommend all to get LCDs they emmit less radiation and take up less
> space. As far as quality in gaming compared to a CRT, I thinkl its no longer
> an issue that today LCDs will run circles around and CRT unlees you buy a
> cheaper low end low quality one. Just look at the specs and buy a decent
> monitor. Like I said in my earlier post I went with the 19 in Westinghouse,
> it wasnt even that expensive but the specs were good and the quality is
> high. I have no regrets at all.
>
> "James West" <james.west@ss.gov> wrote in message
>> Yawn

>> "cwbell1" <cwbell1@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using Flight Simulator 2004 and NASCAR 2003. I am looking for
>> > a new monitor. I have heard that the LCD monitors are not responsive
>> > enough to run programs like these very well like the CRTs. Can
>> > anyone give me any advice on this?

February 27, 2005 8:49:01 AM

"Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote in message
>I recommend all to get LCDs they emmit less radiation and take up less
> space. As far as quality in gaming compared to a CRT, I thinkl its no
> longer
> an issue that today LCDs will run circles around and CRT unlees you buy a
> cheaper low end low quality one. Just look at the specs and buy a decent
> monitor. Like I said in my earlier post I went with the 19 in
> Westinghouse,
> it wasnt even that expensive but the specs were good and the quality is
> high. I have no regrets at all.

I am glad you have no regrets at all. Good for you that you are
willing to settle for less performance with that little 19"incher
than I am getting with my 21" NEC CRT !!

--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will
Anonymous

I am glad to since my Westinghouse is putting out a better image than some
of the other brand LCD costing up to $200 more.
And it definatley blows away my 17in Dell monitor.
Like I said CRTs no longer compare with LCDs, why do you think CRT prices
are dropping like bricks? Some used ones you cant even give away.

"AM" <SCTUSER@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote in message
> >I recommend all to get LCDs they emmit less radiation and take up less
> > space. As far as quality in gaming compared to a CRT, I thinkl its no
> > longer
> > an issue that today LCDs will run circles around and CRT unlees you buy
> > cheaper low end low quality one. Just look at the specs and buy a decent
> > monitor. Like I said in my earlier post I went with the 19 in
> > Westinghouse,
> > it wasnt even that expensive but the specs were good and the quality is
> > high. I have no regrets at all.
> >

> I am glad you have no regrets at all. Good for you that you are
> willing to settle for less performance with that little 19"incher
> than I am getting with my 21" NEC CRT !!

> --
> Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 27, 2005 5:20:02 PM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:31:10 -0500, "Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote:

>Like I said CRTs no longer compare with LCDs, why do you think CRT prices
>are dropping like bricks? Some used ones you cant even give away.

Because many people are fashion conscious, no other reason.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 28, 2005 1:34:55 AM

Essb, there is a difference between 'LCDs are starting to become viable in the game market and LCD's blow away CRT'. I
use an LCD that I bought 2 years ago for general use. I paid some bucks for it and it is performing as expected. There
is still a slight drop off on chroma sampling and hue saturation as compared with a CRT. As there is with the newer
models. And refresh speeds are somewhat less though this is not really a problem as they are close enough these days to
be adequate.

And I am still able to accomplish most graphics and photo work that I do with no problems. In most cases that is.
Something only possible to do as of three years ago with LCD. And like I say, you will still have to shell out the
bucks to do this on LCD where as those same bucks will get you incredible results from a CRT.

Other advantages of LCD are lack of eye strain, weight, power consumption and footprint.

However when I need to prepare a digital photo for a client an LCD just does not cut it. Period. When they get to the
point that they match CRT for accuracy I will switch, but not until then as my reputation, and a portion of my income
depend on ABSOLUTE color, chroma, gamma and hue accuracy. Something no LCD can match at this point in time. Believe me
I am waiting patiently for this to happen.

CRT's also stay tuned for longer and over a higher ambient temperature range. I find myself tuning both of my LCDs
every 3 months and my CRT about once every 6-8 months. To be fair my CRT is only used in a temperature and humidity
controlled environment.

BTW my last photo was published for circulation of 280,000 people. When 280,000+ people are going to see and review my
work I want to know that every pixel was perfect! Not just adequate. But then again that's me. When I'm flying a
flight-sim I just want it to look good.
--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote in message news:11240j1l2neni9b@corp.supernews.com...

> I am glad to since my Westinghouse is putting out a better image than some
> of the other brand LCD costing up to $200 more.
> And it definatley blows away my 17in Dell monitor.
> Like I said CRTs no longer compare with LCDs, why do you think CRT prices
> are dropping like bricks? Some used ones you cant even give away.
>

> "AM" <SCTUSER@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote in message
>> >I recommend all to get LCDs they emmit less radiation and take up less
>> > space. As far as quality in gaming compared to a CRT, I thinkl its no
>> > longer
>> > an issue that today LCDs will run circles around and CRT unlees you buy
>> > cheaper low end low quality one. Just look at the specs and buy a decent
>> > monitor. Like I said in my earlier post I went with the 19 in
>> > Westinghouse,
>> > it wasnt even that expensive but the specs were good and the quality is
>> > high. I have no regrets at all.
>> >

>> I am glad you have no regrets at all. Good for you that you are
>> willing to settle for less performance with that little 19"incher
>> than I am getting with my 21" NEC CRT !!

>> --
>> Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

February 28, 2005 10:32:25 AM

"Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote in message

> I am glad to since my Westinghouse is putting out a better image than some
> of the other brand LCD costing up to $200 more.

And it still cant compare in response time, and color correction
with my 21" NEC. CRT. Cant even come close.....
(you will never know what a totally black screen is)
Same with image quality.

> And it definatley blows away my 17in Dell monitor.

Oh... Boy.....................
Let us know when it can compare with a fast refresh rate CRT Ok ??

> Like I said CRTs no longer compare with LCDs,

When it comes to being flat, and take up less space, no question.
For serious color work, and serious gaming CRT's absolutely
blow away any LCD that has a response higher than 12ms.
If you get an LCD with lower than 12ms than you are getting there,
but a good CRT with a 75Hz, or 85Hz refresh rate is already there !!

> why do you think CRT prices
> are dropping like bricks?

Because people like you dont know better and want a flat panel,
that is very thin, and takes up less desk space.
Just like my friend when getting a new computer I told him to get
an CRT for the monitor, and he STILL went with an LCD.
Interesting watching IL 2 on it, as slow frame rates look like
morphing on the screen..........................

> Some used ones you cant even give away.

Yup, no question.....
And at the same time thay can easilly give away a lesser performing
LCD monitor, and people like you just snap them up !

Go figure................................

--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 1, 2005 12:00:32 AM

"AM" <SCTUSER@comcast.net> wrote in message news:V6ednVMfc68Akr7fRVn-tA@comcast.com...

<*SNIP*>>
>> why do you think CRT prices
>> are dropping like bricks?
>
> Because people like you dont know better and want a flat panel,
> that is very thin, and takes up less desk space.
> Just like my friend when getting a new computer I told him to get
> an CRT for the monitor, and he STILL went with an LCD.
> Interesting watching IL 2 on it, as slow frame rates look like
> morphing on the screen..........................

<*SNIP*>

LCD shouldn't be a component of Frame Rates (FPS). I can get 30-40 FSP with most sliders to the max on FS9 with my LCD
and some very nice blacks also. You friends frame rate is another problem. DAC snoop on. Cheap video card. Not
enough memory. etc. etc. Not monitor response time unless he/she got one of the freebies that is abysmal in which case
he/she can turn off vertical sync. Black is not the problem with newer LCD's so much as the rest of the color spectrum
is not accurate.

Another problem is it is still considered industry standard to have 1-5 failed pixels per screen. Failure denotes
anything from a color washout to hue/saturation distortions to outright blank or dead on one color. The CRT standard is
0. Yes that's ZERO! I've heard that with LCD 1-50000 units ships with no pixel defects. And those get held out of the
retail loop.

...Carl
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 2, 2005 12:00:36 AM

"AM" <SCTUSER@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Essb" <Billy Lincoln> wrote in message
> >
> > I am glad to since my Westinghouse is putting out a better image than
some
> > of the other brand LCD costing up to $200 more.
>
> And it still cant compare in response time, and color correction
> with my 21" NEC. CRT. Cant even come close.....
> (you will never know what a totally black screen is)
> Same with image quality.
>

> > And it definatley blows away my 17in Dell monitor.
>
> Oh... Boy.....................
> Let us know when it can compare with a fast refresh rate CRT Ok ??
>

> > Like I said CRTs no longer compare with LCDs,
>
> When it comes to being flat, and take up less space, no question.
> For serious color work, and serious gaming CRT's absolutely
> blow away any LCD that has a response higher than 12ms.
> If you get an LCD with lower than 12ms than you are getting there,
> but a good CRT with a 75Hz, or 85Hz refresh rate is already there !!
>

> > why do you think CRT prices
> > are dropping like bricks?
>
> Because people like you dont know better and want a flat panel,
> that is very thin, and takes up less desk space.
> Just like my friend when getting a new computer I told him to get
> an CRT for the monitor, and he STILL went with an LCD.
> Interesting watching IL 2 on it, as slow frame rates look like
> morphing on the screen..........................
>

> > Some used ones you cant even give away.
>

> Yup, no question.....
> And at the same time thay can easilly give away a lesser performing
> LCD monitor, and people like you just snap them up !
>
> Go figure................................
>
> Yeh and out of the 21in CRT you only get maybe 19 in of wiewing space.
With a 19in LCD I get 19in of veiwing space.
You all should be looking at Quality LCDs not junk to compare with a CRT.

> --
> Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

March 2, 2005 11:00:19 AM

> Yeh and out of the 21in CRT you only get maybe 19 in of wiewing space.
> With a 19in LCD I get 19in of veiwing space.
> You all should be looking at Quality LCDs not junk to compare with a CRT.

Actually 19.50" to be exact........ (21" NEC 6FGp)

Interesting that you expouse how superior LCD's are to CRT's
and when all other points you make are dashed, you resort to screen
size as a determining factor......... Why dont you admit it, LCD's
are not the ideal for gaming ??

When ya get to 12 ms - 11ms response times they get close to CRT's
(a good CRT runs 85Hz refresh @ 1600 x 1200) But still are more
expensive at this point......

I'm glad you like your LCD, but please dont go telling
people how great it is, when LCD's have clear faults for gaming.

--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will
!