Power supply killed by motherboard?

mackstar

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
I recently bought a cheap PSU (bad idea, lesson learned) from some local hole-in-the-wall computer store. My previous one was 300W and so was the new replacement. Anyway, I install it, system boots up fine and runs just dandy for a day, then while I'm using my computer it just shut off. Power would not come on for approximately 60 seconds.

When it did turn back on the computer abruptly powered off again just as windows started loading. After this point it got shorter and shorter to the point where it would not turn on at all for more than 1 second. I checked all my cables and reseated them and got the same disappointing results.

So I take it back to the store today and the guy tells me he needs to test it before he will refund my money. My question is, was it my fault that it went bad? Could I have incorrectly attached a connector or something? I've never had a problem like this before, and the person who sold it to me assured me it would work on my system.

Basically I'm just worried I won't get a refund, which will suck.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well if it doesnt work you should get a refund, or at least a replacment.
Question: What happened to the old one that made you replace it? If it died prematurely it could be that your system was too draining, and the same thing is happening with the new PSU as well.

If possible, get into the bios on bootup and check the PC health page (if your bios has it)
observe the voltages, and see if there are any significant drops or fluctuations. If there are, you probably need a better quality/higher rated PSU.

P.S. DO NOT rely upon the Wattage rating with generic PSU's. Ive seen a 300W enermax supply more current than a 350W generic unit. More reliably too.

<b>And if you gaze for long into Toms Hardware Forums, The Forum gazes also into you! :eek: </b>

mackstar

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
I had to replace the last one because the fan was making an extreme amount of noise, hehe. Gonna talk to the guy today, but I'm not that hopeful.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
replacing the fan with any 80mm case fan would run you around 5$, can even install one of those thermal fans that run according to temperature, another 10$

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>