Laptop not detecting my own wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becdecorbin

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Hello,
Please help me,

I have setup a new wireless router and then connected to my laptop, my netbook, my ipad and my mobile.. I had no problems initially but the problems arise when sometimes my internet connection goes off.. after that when i switch on the internet connection then, all my device are back on track except for my laptop(HP Pavillion DV6000)

This problem gets solved automatically only sometimes when i restart my laptop.. otherwise it does'nt detect my own wifi SSID.. it detects my neighbour'snetwork but not mine

Becdecorbin

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I tried to refresh my wifi list many times but to no avail.. i switch the wifi on and off but to no avail.. Other wifi's are being shown but not mine..

It works fine on my other devices.. When i goto control panel and then networking and sharing centre and then click manage wireless connections, it shows my ssid/network but i cant connect to it from there..

Any questions are welcome

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Is your wireless adapter set to be turned off to save power in Control Panel>Device Manager>{wireless adapter}>Properties>Power Management?

If it doesn't get switched off for that reason, it may not lose contact with the router and find re-establishing it difficult. You might also like to check the channel it's set to receive on, changing it to automatic if it has a specific channel number set.

Becdecorbin

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

Thank you for ur prompt reply..

No, My wireless adapter is not set to be turned off.. otherwise it wud'nt be catching hold of other 3 wifi SSID's which belong to my neighbours..

About channels, In the advanced tab of the adapter's settings the ad hoc channel 802.11 b/g it is on 11.. there is no automatic setting.. i can redude the channels from 1 to 11.. it was on 11 and it reamains on 11..

I tried manually connecting my wireless connection after deteting my SSID from manage my wireless connections.. entered the passkey and other information.. It okeys it.. but still i cant find my SSID's name from the list of wifi connections.. others are there but not mine..

FranklySpeaking

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I had this problem - just now found in the Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections/Wireless Network Connection (R click to select) Properties, Wireless Properties, I found an unticked box beside 'Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)' - so ticked it - now seems to be working - so maybe try that ... (can't repeat it now, but if you can find it - good luck!)

Status
Not open for further replies.