Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Laptop not detecting my own wifi

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 29, 2012 8:44:37 AM

Hello,
Please help me,

I have setup a new wireless router and then connected to my laptop, my netbook, my ipad and my mobile.. I had no problems initially but the problems arise when sometimes my internet connection goes off.. after that when i switch on the internet connection then, all my device are back on track except for my laptop(HP Pavillion DV6000)

This problem gets solved automatically only sometimes when i restart my laptop.. otherwise it does'nt detect my own wifi SSID.. it detects my neighbour'snetwork but not mine

More about : laptop detecting wifi

September 29, 2012 8:52:27 AM

I tried to refresh my wifi list many times but to no avail.. i switch the wifi on and off but to no avail.. Other wifi's are being shown but not mine..

It works fine on my other devices.. When i goto control panel and then networking and sharing centre and then click manage wireless connections, it shows my ssid/network but i cant connect to it from there..

Any questions are welcome
Score
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2012 9:00:48 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Is your wireless adapter set to be turned off to save power in Control Panel>Device Manager>{wireless adapter}>Properties>Power Management?

If it doesn't get switched off for that reason, it may not lose contact with the router and find re-establishing it difficult. You might also like to check the channel it's set to receive on, changing it to automatic if it has a specific channel number set.

Score
Related resources
September 29, 2012 9:40:08 AM

Saga Lout said:

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Is your wireless adapter set to be turned off to save power in Control Panel>Device Manager>{wireless adapter}>Properties>Power Management?

If it doesn't get switched off for that reason, it may not lose contact with the router and find re-establishing it difficult. You might also like to check the channel it's set to receive on, changing it to automatic if it has a specific channel number set.

Thank you for ur prompt reply..

No, My wireless adapter is not set to be turned off.. otherwise it wud'nt be catching hold of other 3 wifi SSID's which belong to my neighbours..

About channels, In the advanced tab of the adapter's settings the ad hoc channel 802.11 b/g it is on 11.. there is no automatic setting.. i can redude the channels from 1 to 11.. it was on 11 and it reamains on 11..

I tried manually connecting my wireless connection after deteting my SSID from manage my wireless connections.. entered the passkey and other information.. It okeys it.. but still i cant find my SSID's name from the list of wifi connections.. others are there but not mine..
Score
October 9, 2012 7:04:24 PM

it might be ur router try resetting ur router and computer whenever this happens
Score
January 7, 2013 3:28:53 AM

I had this problem - just now found in the Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections/Wireless Network Connection (R click to select) Properties, Wireless Properties, I found an unticked box beside 'Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)' - so ticked it - now seems to be working - so maybe try that ... (can't repeat it now, but if you can find it - good luck!)
Score
March 20, 2013 10:57:49 AM

Hi, I had this very problem with my HP Pavilion G6 laptop and solved it by simply disabling the QSS on the AP/Router.
Score
!