RF listings by city

Last response: in Home Audio
October 17, 2004 7:27:01 PM

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and probably haven't lurked far enough, but I've been
looking around for an hour to try to find a post that tells me this and I
haven't found one. Anyone know where I can find a list of broadcast freqs
by city so that they won't interfere with RF mics?

In advance, thanks. And sorry if I just missed a post.

More about : listings city

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 7:27:02 PM

Benjamin Furiga wrote:

> Anyone know where I can find a list of broadcast freqs
> by city so that they won't interfere with RF mics?

Usually manufacturers of wireless mics can provide that information.
Maybe try Shure, Sony, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Lectrosonics (Hi
Karl), EV, Telex, AKG or Samson.

Any of their web sites are possibilities.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 10:26:02 PM

"Benjamin Furiga" <capndawg@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm a newbie here and probably haven't lurked far enough, but I've been
>looking around for an hour to try to find a post that tells me this and I
>haven't found one. Anyone know where I can find a list of broadcast freqs
>by city so that they won't interfere with RF mics?
>
>In advance, thanks. And sorry if I just missed a post.

Try:
http://home.earthlink.net/~lvehorn/

This is the update support site for a DOS viewing program called
TVFMSTNS. It uses the FCC data base for TV and FM stations. It
includes all On Air stations, all auxilary transmitters, all
Construction Permits, all translators and all applications. The TV
data is comprehesive with respect to digital TV.

Since the data base is by TV channels, you will need to down load from
the FCC web site the frequencies of the various TV channels. There are
lots of places to find the information beside th FCC site.

Note, there are occasional errors in the FCC data bases, but they are
generally on applications or applications for change. If it says
either on the air or Construction Permit or CP, ( program tests are
allowed with a CP) you can count in it.

One other featue of this program, you can specify the distance from
your reference point (usually a city) with 25 miles being the minimum
and something like 200 miles the maximum.

As far as I know, this is the best program for doing band surveys
short of bringing in an IFR.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 11:43:38 PM

Benjamin Furiga wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a newbie here and probably haven't lurked far enough, but I've been
> looking around for an hour to try to find a post that tells me this and I
> haven't found one. Anyone know where I can find a list of broadcast freqs
> by city so that they won't interfere with RF mics?
>
> In advance, thanks. And sorry if I just missed a post.

Go to
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/genmen/index.ht...

There will be a link to a Latitude/Longitude/Frequency search page,
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/genmen/lat_long...

and I usually do a point-radius search of all services over the
frequency range my mics are capable of to know where not to put my mics.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 11:10:18 AM

Don Cooper <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<41729DB7.585A1B94@comcast.net>...
> Benjamin Furiga wrote:
>
> > Anyone know where I can find a list of broadcast freqs
> > by city so that they won't interfere with RF mics?
>

> Usually manufacturers of wireless mics can provide that information.
> Maybe try Shure, Sony, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Lectrosonics (Hi
> Karl), EV, Telex, AKG or Samson.
>
> Any of their web sites are possibilities.

Hi Don!

Here's a link to our online form to check active TV stations by city.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/cgi-bin/tv_form.pl

Regards,

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 2:30:00 PM

In article <82150ded.0410180610.26cf7509@posting.google.com>,
Karl Winkler <karlwinkler66@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Don Cooper <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<41729DB7.585A1B94@comcast.net>...
>> Benjamin Furiga wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone know where I can find a list of broadcast freqs
>> > by city so that they won't interfere with RF mics?
>>

>> Usually manufacturers of wireless mics can provide that information.
>> Maybe try Shure, Sony, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Lectrosonics (Hi
>> Karl), EV, Telex, AKG or Samson.
>>

>Here's a link to our online form to check active TV stations by city.
>
>http://www.lectrosonics.com/cgi-bin/tv_form.pl

I will say that although this is excellent in metropolitan areas, once you
are out in the country things get difficult. Around here we can get TV
channels from two nearby cities, so often two adjacent channels will both
be sort-of-in-use.

Also don't forget that you're also competing with other folks using wireless
systems, as well as harmonics from other services and broadband noise sources.

Start with the station list, but also do a real site survey. If you don't
have the time and resources to do a 24-hour test with a spectrum analyzer,
at least walk around the room at a couple different times of day with a
cheap Bearcat scanner or something.
--scott
October 18, 2004 4:10:53 PM

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in message news:<cl0k18$nit$1@panix3.panix.com>...
> In article <82150ded.0410180610.26cf7509@posting.google.com>,
> Karl Winkler <karlwinkler66@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Don Cooper <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<41729DB7.585A1B94@comcast.net>...

> >> Usually manufacturers of wireless mics can provide that information.
> >> Maybe try Shure, Sony, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Lectrosonics (Hi
> >> Karl), EV, Telex, AKG or Samson.
> >>

> >Here's a link to our online form to check active TV stations by city.
> >
> >http://www.lectrosonics.com/cgi-bin/tv_form.pl
>
> I will say that although this is excellent in metropolitan areas, once you
> are out in the country things get difficult. Around here we can get TV
> channels from two nearby cities, so often two adjacent channels will both
> be sort-of-in-use.
>
> Also don't forget that you're also competing with other folks using wireless
> systems, as well as harmonics from other services and broadband noise sources.
>
> Start with the station list, but also do a real site survey. If you don't
> have the time and resources to do a 24-hour test with a spectrum analyzer,
> at least walk around the room at a couple different times of day with a
> cheap Bearcat scanner or something.
> --scott

Scott, I absolutely agree that there's no substitute for a site scan.
The main purpose of charts and web resources like ours is to at least
avoid the *obvious* conflicts by ordering the right block or macro in
the first place.

The other thing is that transmitter power plays an important role in
"burying" the background RF, such as TV transmissions. By selecting
the appropriate power for the distance you require between transmitter
and receiver (don't forget the inverse square law) you can often
create a solid link even with a TV transmission on the same frequency.
Especially when the TV towers are further away, such as in Scott's
example of the rural setting (Again, don't forget the inverse square
law).

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 8:04:47 PM

> Also don't forget that you're also competing with other folks using
> wireless
> systems, as well as harmonics from other services and broadband noise
> sources.

Residential video distribution systems can leak pretty badly, too. Anybody
can buy a series of modulators for their home, and I believe the most common
channels these days are 70-80 or thereabouts, 807-867 MHz. A couple loose
connectors or unterminated spigots can spew some noise.

-John O
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 11:03:07 PM

karlwinkler66@yahoo.com (Karl Winkler) wrote:

>Hi Don!
>
>Here's a link to our online form to check active TV stations by city.
>
>http://www.lectrosonics.com/cgi-bin/tv_form.pl
>
>Regards,
>
>Karl Winkler
>Lectrosonics, Inc.
>http://www.lectrosonics.com

Karl,
This is a well thought out page. Very handy for Lectosonic users but
also has the required TV channel/frequency information so anyone one
can figure it out.. Any chance this can be down loaded so that the
data can be used when no internet connection is available?
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 11:28:34 AM

media@gte.net (Don Worsham) wrote in message news:<417412ef.361966796@news.gte.net>...
> karlwinkler66@yahoo.com (Karl Winkler) wrote:
>

> >Hi Don!
> >
> >Here's a link to our online form to check active TV stations by city.
> >
> >http://www.lectrosonics.com/cgi-bin/tv_form.pl
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Karl Winkler
> >Lectrosonics, Inc.
> >http://www.lectrosonics.com
>
> Karl,
> This is a well thought out page. Very handy for Lectosonic users but
> also has the required TV channel/frequency information so anyone one
> can figure it out.. Any chance this can be down loaded so that the
> data can be used when no internet connection is available?

Unfortunately, not in this same format. However, we do have a .PDF of
pre-coordinated frequencies, by block and TV channel here:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/service/PreCoordWebVer.pdf

However, you would need to know what TV channels are operating
locally. Let me look into how we might make our online
geographic/channel locator more "portable".

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 12:31:35 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> I will say that although this is excellent in metropolitan areas, once you
> are out in the country things get difficult. Around here we can get TV
> channels from two nearby cities, so often two adjacent channels will both
> be sort-of-in-use.

Scott, you get TV stations from two cities, and still don't watch TV? : )
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 2:23:57 PM

Don Cooper <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> I will say that although this is excellent in metropolitan areas, once you
>> are out in the country things get difficult. Around here we can get TV
>> channels from two nearby cities, so often two adjacent channels will both
>> be sort-of-in-use.
>
>Scott, you get TV stations from two cities, and still don't watch TV? : )

There's nothing on.

The good news is that I can get the two NPR stations from Norfolk, the one
from Richmond, the one on the Eastern Shore, and when it's humid and there is
some tropotunnelling, the Pacifica affiliate in DC. For some reason I cannot
get the University of Richmond station here at all, though I can get a North
Carolina college station that is farther away and lower power.
--scott
October 19, 2004 2:42:58 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Don Cooper <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Scott, you get TV stations from two cities, and still don't watch TV? : )
>

> There's nothing on.

I'll agree that there's almost nothing (other than the occasional PBS item) worth watching off terrestrial TV.

Satellites make things a LOT more interesting. Check out <http://linktv.org/&gt; and <http://www.freespeech.org/&gt; at a minimum.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 10:33:27 PM

"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > Don Cooper <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Scott, you get TV stations from two cities, and still don't watch TV?
: )

> > There's nothing on.
>

> I'll agree that there's almost nothing (other than the occasional PBS
item) worth watching off terrestrial TV.

> Satellites make things a LOT more interesting. Check out
<http://linktv.org/&gt; and <http://www.freespeech.org/&gt; at a minimum.

That's what's nice about satellite broadcasting: there's a lot more nothing.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 12:12:25 PM

karlwinkler66@yahoo.com (Karl Winkler) wrote in message news:<82150ded.0410190628.128e0d89@posting.google.com>...
> media@gte.net (Don Worsham) wrote in message news:<417412ef.361966796@news.gte.net>...
> > karlwinkler66@yahoo.com (Karl Winkler) wrote:
> >

> > >Hi Don!
> > >
> > >Here's a link to our online form to check active TV stations by city.
> > >
> > >http://www.lectrosonics.com/cgi-bin/tv_form.pl
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >
> > >Karl Winkler
> > >Lectrosonics, Inc.
> > >http://www.lectrosonics.com
> >
> > Karl,
> > This is a well thought out page. Very handy for Lectosonic users but
> > also has the required TV channel/frequency information so anyone one
> > can figure it out.. Any chance this can be down loaded so that the
> > data can be used when no internet connection is available?
>
> Unfortunately, not in this same format. However, we do have a .PDF of
> pre-coordinated frequencies, by block and TV channel here:
>
> http://www.lectrosonics.com/service/PreCoordWebVer.pdf
>
> However, you would need to know what TV channels are operating
> locally. Let me look into how we might make our online
> geographic/channel locator more "portable".

I wanted to post a follow-up after discussing this issue internally.
Turns out that our database is updated nightly via a link to info from
the FCC. Thus, any "offline" version would quickly become outdated. So
for now, our engineering staff would be more comfortable with us not
offering an offline version because the accuracy could be quite off
within a relatively short time.

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com