Looking for a good way to connect...

Last response: in Home Audio
October 18, 2004 12:46:39 AM

I'm looking for a good way to dump audio from my Tascam 788 (great sounding
recorder) to my PC. The 788 has a SPDIF out and a SCSI connection or, I can go
analog to analog from the 788 to the line in of the Turtle Beach sound card but
I'm worried about the A/D D/A (to and from).
I have Firewire and USB hook ups on the computer as well as a Pinnacle brake
out box (AV Pro Deluxe) that came with a pro-sumer video editing bundle (I've
been told that it's not that good) but I'm not really looking at going that
rout. I downloaded the free Audicy program as I just wish to do basic 2 track
editing and mixing on this system.
I've been searching the net for an adapter but everything has come up zero,
been to a million cable and adapter sites with nothing good yet.

I think that maybe SPDIF is going out in favor of USB an Firewire

More about : good connect

Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:35:53 AM

bruwhaha58097238@aol.com (Raymond) wrote in

> I think that maybe SPDIF is going out in favor of USB an Firewire

I think not. First match on Google for "sound card SPDIF" yielded

http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=202&a=4924&f=1
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 2:21:33 AM

"Raymond" wrote:
> I'm looking for a good way to dump audio from my Tascam 788 (great
sounding
> recorder) to my PC. The 788 has a SPDIF out and a SCSI connection or, I
can go
> analog to analog from the 788 to the line in of the Turtle Beach sound
card but
> I'm worried about the A/D D/A (to and from).
> I have Firewire and USB hook ups on the computer as well as a Pinnacle
brake
> out box (AV Pro Deluxe) that came with a pro-sumer video editing bundle
(I've
> been told that it's not that good) but I'm not really looking at going
that
> rout. I downloaded the free Audicy program as I just wish to do basic 2
track
> editing and mixing on this system.
> I've been searching the net for an adapter but everything has come up
zero,
> been to a million cable and adapter sites with nothing good yet.
>
> I think that maybe SPDIF is going out in favor of USB an Firewire

Why don't you just export WAVs?

-jw
October 18, 2004 6:12:58 AM

jw wrote
>Why don't you just export WAVs?

If I could find a way to connect these two units together I would, but thats
what I'm trying to do here.

Carey Carlan wrote
I think not. First match on Google for "sound card SPDIF" yielded

http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=202&a=4924&f=1

I'm not to keen on the idea of replacing the Turtle Beach with a Sound Blaster
as that is (IMHO) a step back in quality. If there is no adapter available (or
I can find no one who knows how to make one) to connect a SPDIF to a Firewire
or USB I'll just hold off until I can get to it with my Mac and MOTU interface.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 9:29:58 AM

"Raymond" <bruwhaha58097238@aol.com> wrote in message
> jw wrote
> >Why don't you just export WAVs?
> >

> If I could find a way to connect these two units together I would, but
thats
> what I'm trying to do here.

Do you have a CD burner for your 788? You just burn the WAVs for your song
onto a CD, and then import them into whatever program you like. You then
have the advantage of not being limited to working with just 2 tracks.

-jw
!