Silent Hunter 3 GOLD!!

from www.silent-hunteriii.com

It's the moment you've all been waiting for, for months a whole team
of people have been slaving away adding in new features requested by
the community, tweaking gameplay, creating amazing graphics, and now
it's all paid off:

hip hip

jp

"KRJ" <kenrj@canada.com> wrote in message
> from www.silent-hunteriii.com
>
> It's the moment you've all been waiting for, for months a whole team
> of people have been slaving away adding in new features requested by
> the community, tweaking gameplay, creating amazing graphics, and now
> it's all paid off:
>

> hip hip

Sure wish another good Pacific sub sim would come out. After all, the
u-boats accomplishments pale in comparison.

KRJ wrote:

> from www.silent-hunteriii.com
>
> It's the moment you've all been waiting for, for months a whole team
> of people have been slaving away adding in new features requested by
> the community, tweaking gameplay, creating amazing graphics, and now
> it's all paid off:
>

> hip hip

Hooray! hip hip

--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:08:09 GMT, Mitch_A <naman@pacbell.nospam.net>
wrote:

>Hooray! hip hip

Hooray! hip hip

Release date is the 18th March for the UK I believe.

"Mitch_A" <naman@pacbell.nospam.net> wrote in message
> KRJ wrote:
>
>> from www.silent-hunteriii.com
>>
>> It's the moment you've all been waiting for, for months a whole team
>> of people have been slaving away adding in new features requested by
>> the community, tweaking gameplay, creating amazing graphics, and now
>> it's all paid off:
>>

>> hip hip
>
> Hooray! hip hip
>
> --
> Remove "nospam." to reply.
> SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

"KRJ" <kenrj@canada.com> wrote in message
> from www.silent-hunteriii.com
>
> It's the moment you've all been waiting for, for months a whole team
> of people have been slaving away adding in new features requested by
> the community, tweaking gameplay, creating amazing graphics, and now
> it's all paid off:
>

> hip hip

Usually when a sequel comes out, I like to reinstall the originals, play
them, and then get the new release.

Now I might have Silent Service 2 laying around here some where. But heck!
I think I had Silent Service 1 back in the old days when I had an Atari 800
computer. I wonder if they're going to include the original in the new
release; just so we can see how cool and updated the new release is? ;)

"JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Sure wish another good Pacific sub sim would come out. After all, the
> u-boats accomplishments pale in comparison.

Really?, how do you come to that conclusion?

USN submarines sank a total of 4,889,000 tons of Jap shipping (p.472 Brute
Force by john ellis).
U-boats sank 7,841,000 in the Atlantic (p.160 Brute Force by john ellis) -
3,408,000 in one year alone.

Actually the u-boats accomplishments are far greater when you factor in the
massive disparity in both the quality and quantity of their ASW opposition.

The C'wealth were good at ASW from the start and got better, the USA (with
the notable exception of the utterly incompetent Admiral King) were also
excellent at ASW.

The allies put vast resources into ASW from the air, ASW radars, Escort
carriers, HF/DF, homing ASW torpedoes, Hedgehog, Squid, operational
research, etc etc.

Conversely the IJN treated ASW with contempt, they put few vessels into the
task full time, had virtually nobody assigned full time to operational
research, did little in the way of Airborne ASW and didn't even bother with
organising a proper convoy system till there were few ships left to sail
(revealing that there was, after all, someone more incompetent than Admiral
King!).

jp

"L'acrobat" <husky.65@delete_me.bigpond.com> wrote in message

> "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Sure wish another good Pacific sub sim would come out. After all, the
> > u-boats accomplishments pale in comparison.
>

> Really?, how do you come to that conclusion?
>
> USN submarines sank a total of 4,889,000 tons of Jap shipping (p.472 Brute
> Force by john ellis).
> U-boats sank 7,841,000 in the Atlantic (p.160 Brute Force by john ellis) -
> 3,408,000 in one year alone.
>
> Actually the u-boats accomplishments are far greater when you factor in
the
> massive disparity in both the quality and quantity of their ASW
opposition.

> The C'wealth were good at ASW from the start and got better, the USA (with
> the notable exception of the utterly incompetent Admiral King) were also
> excellent at ASW.
>
> The allies put vast resources into ASW from the air, ASW radars, Escort
> carriers, HF/DF, homing ASW torpedoes, Hedgehog, Squid, operational
> research, etc etc.
>
> Conversely the IJN treated ASW with contempt, they put few vessels into
the
> task full time, had virtually nobody assigned full time to operational
> research, did little in the way of Airborne ASW and didn't even bother
with
> organising a proper convoy system till there were few ships left to sail
> (revealing that there was, after all, someone more incompetent than
Admiral
> King!).

Hehe, if you want to throw numbers around, do a google, and you can come
up with any tonnage numbers you want. In other words..........so ?

And if the Japs disregarded asw compared to the Allies, again, so ?
That's the US sub fleets problem ?

US fleet crippled and eventually destroyed Japanese shipping. A country
perhaps even more dependant at the time on the sea lanes, than the English.

U- boats didn't. *Those* are the facts.

But then, the US didn't have all those neeto uniforms, words
("wolfpack"........oooh, cool <rolls eyes>), etc., that so many, including
"historians" seem to focus on, eh ? <g>

> Hehe, if you want to throw numbers around, do a google, and you can come
> up with any tonnage numbers you want. In other words..........so ?

Or to put it another way, you don't have a clue, mouthed off and got caught.

What say you find me a google search that says the US subs sank more than
7.5 million tons of Jap shipping in WW2?

> And if the Japs disregarded asw compared to the Allies, again, so ?
> That's the US sub fleets problem ?

Anyone who isn't a fool recognises that the scale and capability of the
opposition you face impacts on what your achievements are, the USN was
facing a country that had few resources and less interest in ASW, the
Kriegsmarine was facing the C'wealth and the USA, both of whom put vast
resources into ASW/Convoy protection and they still sank almost 2 x the
amount of shipping and they did it while the allies were regularly reading
their op orders.

> US fleet crippled and eventually destroyed Japanese shipping. A country
> perhaps even more dependant at the time on the sea lanes, than the
> English.
>
> U- boats didn't. *Those* are the facts.

And the U-boats didn't face utterly incompetent enemies, the USN sinking the
shipping of an enemy who is not making any credible effort to defend it is
NOT an achievement that makes "the u-boats accomplishments pale in
comparison", quite the opposite in fact.

USN submarines sank a total of 4,889,000 tons of Jap shipping (p.472 Brute
Force by john ellis).

U-boats sank 7,841,000 in the Atlantic (p.160 Brute Force by john ellis) -
3,408,000 in one year alone.

*those* are the facts.

> But then, the US didn't have all those neeto uniforms, words
> ("wolfpack"........oooh, cool <rolls eyes>), etc., that so many, including
> "historians" seem to focus on, eh ? <g>

Are you determined to display your ignorance? why don't you look up what the
U-boat crew wore as uniforms? hardly 'neeto' you idiot, and I take it that
you didn't know that the USN also used wolfpack (........oooh, cool <rolls
eyes>), tactics and even wolfpacks called 'hellcats' (neeto!) against the
Japanese?

But keep digging, you are doing a fine job.

> "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>

> > Hehe, if you want to throw numbers around, do a google, and you can
come
> > up with any tonnage numbers you want. In other words..........so ?
>

> Or to put it another way, you don't have a clue, mouthed off and got
caught.

<laughter>

My, aren't we a bit defensive.........interesting, wonder why.

Sure......if you want to say so. See below dumbass.

> What say you find me a google search that says the US subs sank more than
> 7.5 million tons of Jap shipping in WW2?

What say you do as I originally said, and you'll find different figures on
every link, some the complete opposite of yours. It's spelled g o o g l e.
That should help.

> > And if the Japs disregarded asw compared to the Allies, again, so ?
> > That's the US sub fleets problem ?
>
> Anyone who isn't a fool recognises that the scale and capability of the
> opposition you face impacts on what your achievements are, the USN was
> facing a country that had few resources and less interest in ASW, the
> Kriegsmarine was facing the C'wealth and the USA, both of whom put vast
> resources into ASW/Convoy protection and they still sank almost 2 x the
> amount of shipping and they did it while the allies were regularly reading
> their op orders.

Um, no. Do try looking into the facts sometime. Hint: The majority of
u-boat tonnage was before an efficient/safe convoy system was put into
effect, the US was even officially in the war/shortly after. In other
words, most of the asw bells/whistles you are fixated on and seem to think
that the Germans fought for the entire war, were later, not while the
Germans were sinking boats right and left
Of course, you're also ignoring the facts that the Germans launched *many*
more boats, that operated in a smaller area, (1170 vs 288) and that the US
didn't have reliable torpedos until 1943. Hmmm, that means the US fleet
sunk whatever number you pull out of your hat with far less boats, in far
less time.

Sounds like a better service to me, numbers boy.

> > US fleet crippled and eventually destroyed Japanese shipping. A
country
> > perhaps even more dependant at the time on the sea lanes, than the
> > English.
> >
> > U- boats didn't. *Those* are the facts.
> >

> And the U-boats didn't face utterly incompetent enemies, the USN sinking
the
> shipping of an enemy who is not making any credible effort to defend it is
> NOT an achievement that makes "the u-boats accomplishments pale in
> comparison", quite the opposite in fact.
>
> USN submarines sank a total of 4,889,000 tons of Jap shipping (p.472 Brute
> Force by john ellis).
>
> U-boats sank 7,841,000 in the Atlantic (p.160 Brute Force by john ellis) -
> 3,408,000 in one year alone.
>
> *those* are the facts.

Sigh. Still stuck on a single source. Oh well. To be expected of a
neophyte.

> > But then, the US didn't have all those neeto uniforms, words
> > ("wolfpack"........oooh, cool <rolls eyes>), etc., that so many,
including
> > "historians" seem to focus on, eh ? <g>
>
> Are you determined to display your ignorance? why don't you look up what
the
> U-boat crew wore as uniforms? hardly 'neeto' you idiot, and I take it that
> you didn't know that the USN also used wolfpack (........oooh, cool <rolls
> eyes>), tactics and even wolfpacks called 'hellcats' (neeto!) against the
> Japanese?
>
> But keep digging, you are doing a fine job.

<laughter>

Whew, where to begin. Maybe "whoosh, right over the top" will do for now.

> "L'acrobat" <husky.65@delete_me.bigpond.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >>

>> > Hehe, if you want to throw numbers around, do a google, and you can
> come
>> > up with any tonnage numbers you want. In other words..........so ?
>>

>> Or to put it another way, you don't have a clue, mouthed off and got
> caught.
>

> <laughter>
>
> My, aren't we a bit defensive.........interesting, wonder why.
>
> Sure......if you want to say so. See below dumbass.

Nothing defensive, you made an arse of yourself and got caught - you can
always pick the idiots, they run and hide when figures get used.

>> What say you find me a google search that says the US subs sank more than
>> 7.5 million tons of Jap shipping in WW2?
>

> What say you do as I originally said, and you'll find different figures
> on
> every link, some the complete opposite of yours. It's spelled g o o g l
> e.
> That should help.

Good. demonstrate it you cretin, all it takes is a cut and paste.

>> > And if the Japs disregarded asw compared to the Allies, again, so ?
>> > That's the US sub fleets problem ?
>>
>> Anyone who isn't a fool recognises that the scale and capability of the
>> opposition you face impacts on what your achievements are, the USN was
>> facing a country that had few resources and less interest in ASW, the
>> Kriegsmarine was facing the C'wealth and the USA, both of whom put vast
>> resources into ASW/Convoy protection and they still sank almost 2 x the
>> amount of shipping and they did it while the allies were regularly
>> reading
>> their op orders.
>

> Um, no. Do try looking into the facts sometime. Hint: The majority of
> u-boat tonnage was before an efficient/safe convoy system was put into
> effect, the US was even officially in the war/shortly after. In other
> words, most of the asw bells/whistles you are fixated on and seem to think
> that the Germans fought for the entire war, were later, not while the
> Germans were sinking boats right and left
> Of course, you're also ignoring the facts that the Germans launched *many*
> more boats, that operated in a smaller area, (1170 vs 288) and that the
> US
> didn't have reliable torpedos until 1943. Hmmm, that means the US fleet
> sunk whatever number you pull out of your hat with far less boats, in far
> less time.

Safe/efficient defined how and by whom - the sinking rate went up when the
US joined the war, it only went down when they finally adopted the
safe/efficient Brit convoy methods.

Yet the escorts and the aircraft were there in increasing numbers from day
one, as was the operational research, Ultra decodes, HF/DF in Jan 41, ASW
Radars by 1940 (more and better ones later), shipborne radars, the Germans
had exactly the same torpedo reliability problems as the US and the Germans
faced a far larger force.

Try working with numbers rather than generalisations ("sunk whatever number
you pull out of your hat with far less boats") idiot.

In 1941 the IJN had only 30 convoy escort vessels, all unarmed, no new ones
were laid down until early 1943.

Eventually in March 1944 the Japanese introduced a proper coordinated convoy
system.

Hardly a credible opposition.

> Sounds like a better service to me, numbers boy.

Yes it does to an idiot that refuses to deal in numbers and refuses to
acknowledge the opposition as a factor.

The German U-boat service faced 2 heavyweights and stayed in the ring,
inflicting losses till the end.

The US sub service were a heavyweight against a lightweight and uninterested
Jap opposition, they won - but it is hardly an achievent that makes the
German effort pale into insignificance.

>> > US fleet crippled and eventually destroyed Japanese shipping. A
> country
>> > perhaps even more dependant at the time on the sea lanes, than the
>> > English.
>> >
>> > U- boats didn't. *Those* are the facts.
>> >

>> And the U-boats didn't face utterly incompetent enemies, the USN sinking
> the
>> shipping of an enemy who is not making any credible effort to defend it
>> is
>> NOT an achievement that makes "the u-boats accomplishments pale in
>> comparison", quite the opposite in fact.
>>
>> USN submarines sank a total of 4,889,000 tons of Jap shipping (p.472
>> Brute
>> Force by john ellis).
>>
>> U-boats sank 7,841,000 in the Atlantic (p.160 Brute Force by john
>> ellis) -
>> 3,408,000 in one year alone.
>>
>> *those* are the facts.
>

> Sigh. Still stuck on a single source. Oh well. To be expected of a
> neophyte.

Find a source that refutes it, you've said its easy. do it.

Clearly you are just another idiot troll.

>> > But then, the US didn't have all those neeto uniforms, words
>> > ("wolfpack"........oooh, cool <rolls eyes>), etc., that so many,
> including
>> > "historians" seem to focus on, eh ? <g>
>>
>> Are you determined to display your ignorance? why don't you look up what
> the
>> U-boat crew wore as uniforms? hardly 'neeto' you idiot, and I take it
>> that
>> you didn't know that the USN also used wolfpack (........oooh, cool
>> <rolls
>> eyes>), tactics and even wolfpacks called 'hellcats' (neeto!) against the
>> Japanese?
>>
>> But keep digging, you are doing a fine job.
>>

> <laughter>
>
> Whew, where to begin. Maybe "whoosh, right over the top" will do for
> now.

Another childish attempt to avoid the fact that you have, yet again,
revealed the depth of your ignorance.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"KRJ" <kenrj@canada.com> wrote in message
> from www.silent-hunteriii.com
>
> It's the moment you've all been waiting for, for months a whole team
> of people have been slaving away adding in new features requested by
> the community, tweaking gameplay, creating amazing graphics, and now
> it's all paid off:

After the piece of shite that was SH2 I'm going to wait until I see a few
verdicts on this one. Everything I have read suggests that it will be a
fine game, but once bitten twice shy

> hip hip

elbow elbow

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:07:23 +1300, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>After the piece of shite that was SH2 I'm going to wait until I see a few
>verdicts on this one. Everything I have read suggests that it will be a
>fine game, but once bitten twice shy

Two totally different developers, nothing in common except the
publisher and title name.

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:20:14 -0800, Trinity <three@here.invalid>
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:07:23 +1300, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>

>>After the piece of shite that was SH2 I'm going to wait until I see a few
>>verdicts on this one. Everything I have read suggests that it will be a
>>fine game, but once bitten twice shy
>
>Two totally different developers, nothing in common except the
>publisher and title name.

'They' say it has the Starforce protection system, so it doesn't run
on a system with a CD/DVD writer :-(

Cheers!

Remco

Eds

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2004

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:37:37 GMT, rmoedt@SPAMSPAMSPAM.SPAM (Remco
Moedt) wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:20:14 -0800, Trinity <three@here.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:07:23 +1300, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>

>>>After the piece of shite that was SH2 I'm going to wait until I see a few
>>>verdicts on this one. Everything I have read suggests that it will be a
>>>fine game, but once bitten twice shy
>>
>>Two totally different developers, nothing in common except the
>>publisher and title name.
>
>'They' say it has the Starforce protection system, so it doesn't run
>on a system with a CD/DVD writer :-(

Well that's going to be a problem for a lot of people if true.

>Cheers!
>
>Remco

jp

"Remco Moedt" <rmoedt@SPAMSPAMSPAM.SPAM> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:20:14 -0800, Trinity <three@here.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:07:23 +1300, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> >

> >>After the piece of shite that was SH2 I'm going to wait until I see a
few
> >>verdicts on this one. Everything I have read suggests that it will be a
> >>fine game, but once bitten twice shy
> >
> >Two totally different developers, nothing in common except the
> >publisher and title name.
>
> 'They' say it has the Starforce protection system, so it doesn't run
> on a system with a CD/DVD writer :-(
>

> Cheers!
>
> Remco

Ugh, that's not good news.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 06:59:01 -0500, EdS <EdS@EdS.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 09:37:37 GMT, rmoedt@SPAMSPAMSPAM.SPAM (Remco
>Moedt) wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:20:14 -0800, Trinity <three@here.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>>Two totally different developers, nothing in common except the
>>>publisher and title name.
>>
>>'They' say it has the Starforce protection system, so it doesn't run
>>on a system with a CD/DVD writer :-(
>
>Well that's going to be a problem for a lot of people if true.

Last allinea:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=857101043&m=2071094682

:-(

Cheers!

Remco

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in news:MZEVd.196$74.2896@eagle.america.net:

> I've already shown you how to do it. Twice. Take your pick. If
> you
> don't want to, I couldn't care less. To be expected of someone with
> their head in the sand.

Hate to butt in on a good flame war,but....

Expecting him to do your work for you is rather retarded and DOES SEEM to
suggest you probably don't know what you think you know.

Chuck

--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

jp

"Chuck" <Nonyabiz@all.com> wrote in message
> "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote in news:MZEVd.196$74.2896@eagle.america.net:
>
> > I've already shown you how to do it. Twice. Take your pick. If
> > you
> > don't want to, I couldn't care less. To be expected of someone with
> > their head in the sand.
> >

> Hate to butt in on a good flame war,but....
>
> Expecting him to do your work for you is rather retarded and DOES SEEM to
> suggest you probably don't know what you think you know.
>
> Chuck
>
> --
> Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
> Benjamin Franklin

No you don't, or you wouldn't have. Yep, I use facts, he uses theories
and generalizations.........whom doesn't know what they're talking about
again ?

And just like him, you're missing my point; I'm not disagreeing with the
tonnage figures listed in his book, hence I have nothing to "prove." I said
you can find any figure you want, as almost any link has different figures.

Point is, the tonnage figures, no matter which ones you want to use, don't
tell the true facts.

But hey, whatever. Here's one page of over 7000 links, with plenty of
sites, with most every one having different figures. Use different search
criteria if you want thousands more, etc, etc., etc.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=allied
+tonnage+sunk

Need anymore hand-holding, let me know, eh ?

I have a DVD RW drive on my system and the Starforce protected GTR installs
and runs just fine for me. YMMV
David
"Remco Moedt" <rmoedt@SPAMSPAMSPAM.SPAM> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:20:14 -0800, Trinity <three@here.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:07:23 +1300, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>

>>>After the piece of shite that was SH2 I'm going to wait until I see a few
>>>verdicts on this one. Everything I have read suggests that it will be a
>>>fine game, but once bitten twice shy
>>
>>Two totally different developers, nothing in common except the
>>publisher and title name.
>
> 'They' say it has the Starforce protection system, so it doesn't run
> on a system with a CD/DVD writer :-(
>

> Cheers!
>
> Remco

jp

"Whoo" <whoo@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> JP
>
> he beat you, you bonehead!

Hehe, if you say so dumbass.......... "whoever" you are <wink>.

In message <d056hb$118$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, Nigel Stutt
<nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>Release date is the 18th March for the UK I believe.

And only £17.99 at Play.com
--
Sean Black

StarForce has already been cracked months ago.

Happy copying.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:59:50 -0600, "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Remco Moedt" <rmoedt@SPAMSPAMSPAM.SPAM> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:20:14 -0800, Trinity <three@here.invalid>
>> wrote:

>few
>> >
>> >Two totally different developers, nothing in common except the
>> >publisher and title name.
>>
>> 'They' say it has the Starforce protection system, so it doesn't run
>> on a system with a CD/DVD writer :-(
>>

>> Cheers!
>>
>> Remco
>
> Ugh, that's not good news.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Trinity" <three@here.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:07:23 +1300, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>

>>After the piece of shite that was SH2 I'm going to wait until I see a few
>>verdicts on this one. Everything I have read suggests that it will be a
>>fine game, but once bitten twice shy
>
> Two totally different developers, nothing in common except the
> publisher and title name.

I know, but the bad memorys are keeping me from getting too excited about
this one. The name was the reason I gave 2 a chance, but I'm going to need
more for 3.

Its a bit of a moot point anyway. Most software down here is released 2-4
weeks after the northern hemisphere so I can wait and see what people think
and still get a preorder discount.