Solved

Move the Operating System

In my current system I have a HDD and no SSD and the HDD has the OS installed onto it. In the next month or so I will be completing my second build. this system will have SSD and HDD.

My question is... is there any possible way for me to take my OS from my HDD and put it on my SDD or will I have to buy another OS and install it on my SDD and uninstall it from my HDD?

Thanks in advance
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about move operating system
  1. If it is a different computer, NO.
  2. you would have to clone your hdd's os partition into the ssd assumign that its on the same mobo. googled a guide on how one person did it.
  3. Best answer
    It depends on if you got OEM version of windows or retail and what you do with your old system. OEM is tied to motherboard so you can't move it at all.

With retail you only have license for one system, if you move it to your new build then technically you can't use it on the old system anymore so it will be without os.
  4. zhihao50 said:
    It depends on if you got OEM version of windows or retail and what you do with your old system. OEM is tied to motherboard so you can't move it at all.

With retail you only have license for one system, if you move it to your new build then technically you can't use it on the old system anymore so it will be without os.

I bought the OEM version so I guess that answers it...

Haha but thanks for clearing it up quick and easy for me.
  5. The only difference between OEM and retail is that with OEM you do not get the packaging like you get with the retail version. Otherwise they are the same and can be put on any computer you want but only on one computer. OEM are sold to stores that build a lot of computers and saves them money without the packaging. Manufactures system disks are a different
    story, they are branded to that system and mobo.
  6. Best answer selected by sk-jb93.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Hard Drives Windows 7