Which IL2 version?

Hullo everybody,
I've read reviews and am quite keen to try out IL2, but am
stumped as to which version to get. Does IL2- Forgotten Battles
contain the same content (and more) of IL2? Or do I need IL2 Sturmovik
plus IL2 Sturmivik:Forgotten Battles. I understand that AEP,Pacific
Battles etc are extras.
Cheers
Bossk

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:59:20 +0000, Bossk
<Bossk128SPAMERAMA@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hullo everybody,
> I've read reviews and am quite keen to try out IL2, but am
>stumped as to which version to get. Does IL2- Forgotten Battles
>contain the same content (and more) of IL2? Or do I need IL2 Sturmovik
>plus IL2 Sturmivik:Forgotten Battles. I understand that AEP,Pacific
>Battles etc are extras.
>Cheers
>Bossk

You buy IL2 Gold as that includes AEP.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00018RR6G/qid=1109848811/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-vg/103-1526573-1894226?v=glance&s=videogames&n=468642

Then buy Pacific Fighters.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002AL1YW/qid=1109849055/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-vg/103-1526573-1894226?v=glance&s=videogames&n=468642

I only have the origional version "IL2-Sturmovik" and I had difficulty with
my old Windoz 98SE machine. But with my new Windoz XP machine, it runs
great - however, I had to download 2 patches in the proper order (you can't
use patch 1.2 ahead of the first patch, because you're supposed to see if
the first patch fixes you troubles). Anyway, I'm liking it so much, I
haven't even tried Forgotten Battles or Pacific Fighters yet.
Incidently, the trick for me was getting my joystick set up so that the
buttons worked the same no matter which game I played. When you try to put
your flaps down, you always want to use the same button, no matter which
game.
Good luck,
Bumper7 (which is my Fighter Ace nic)
https://fighterace.jaleco.com/

"Bossk" <Bossk128SPAMERAMA@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hullo everybody,
> I've read reviews and am quite keen to try out IL2, but am
> stumped as to which version to get. Does IL2- Forgotten Battles
> contain the same content (and more) of IL2? Or do I need IL2 Sturmovik
> plus IL2 Sturmivik:Forgotten Battles. I understand that AEP,Pacific
> Battles etc are extras.
> Cheers
> Bossk

Although you mention the orig IL2-Sturmovik, although it was
the bomb when it came out you should bypass and start at FB.
If only one purchase is in the cards for now, the GoldPack,
as mentioned, is the best place to start, if you can find it.
I've seen it at BestBuy but only once, now it is MIA.

Or just jump to PF as it is usable as a standalone, although
it really is not complete as a Pacific theater sim. And you would get
much more diversity in the FB+ACEs version. After which download
and install the proper patches (which can be a daunting experience in
itself)

Enjoy and if you're fairly new at real flight sims get ready
for a learning curve, and the most fun you've ever had.

RxMan

"Trinity" <three@here.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:59:20 +0000, Bossk
> <Bossk128SPAMERAMA@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hullo everybody,
> > I've read reviews and am quite keen to try out IL2, but am
> >stumped as to which version to get. Does IL2- Forgotten Battles
> >contain the same content (and more) of IL2? Or do I need IL2 Sturmovik
> >plus IL2 Sturmivik:Forgotten Battles. I understand that AEP,Pacific
> >Battles etc are extras.
> >Cheers
> >Bossk
>
> You buy IL2 Gold as that includes AEP.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00018RR6G/qid=1109848811/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-vg/103-1526573-1894226?v=glance&s=videogames&n=468642

> Then buy Pacific Fighters.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002AL1YW/qid=1109849055/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-vg/103-1526573-1894226?v=glance&s=videogames&n=468642

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Bossk" <Bossk128SPAMERAMA@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hullo everybody,
> I've read reviews and am quite keen to try out IL2, but am
> stumped as to which version to get. Does IL2- Forgotten Battles
> contain the same content (and more) of IL2? Or do I need IL2 Sturmovik
> plus IL2 Sturmivik:Forgotten Battles. I understand that AEP,Pacific
> Battles etc are extras.
> Cheers
> Bossk

Unless you have a very old PC forget IL2 Sturmovik. Instead get Forgotten
Battles which is the sequel. As you know the Ace expansion and Pacific
Fighters are official addons for FB. Altho you can play Pacific fighters as
a stand alone sim.

Do the system requirements vary between the original Il-2 & PF? The
demo for the first game was one of the first programs I ran on my XP
2Ghz machine back in early 2002. At first it was a slog - though
things improved when I added a GFIII graphics card. Still, my sense is
that Il-2 is at the edge of my my system - a P4 BTW, with 40GB HD & 512
MB ram. I already have CFS2 - does PF bring that much more to the
pacific theater style warfare than CFS2 did?

"FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
> Do the system requirements vary between the original Il-2 & PF? The
> demo for the first game was one of the first programs I ran on my XP
> 2Ghz machine back in early 2002. At first it was a slog - though
> things improved when I added a GFIII graphics card. Still, my sense is
> that Il-2 is at the edge of my my system - a P4 BTW, with 40GB HD & 512
> MB ram. I already have CFS2 - does PF bring that much more to the
> pacific theater style warfare than CFS2 did?

The system req's are more stout for IL2-FB and PF, as far as I know. What
is the CPU speed for you P4? What kind of graphics card do you have? FYI,
if you bump your RAM up to 1GB you will be in for a much nicer gaming
experience.

Personally, I don't think that PF should be run in standalone mode. I think
it makes a lot more compelling game to have IL2-FB and AEP installed, then
install PF over top of that. PF by itself is pretty limited, and almost
everyone out there playing multiplayer will have IL2-FB/AEP.

James Calivar wrote:
> "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
> > Do the system requirements vary between the original Il-2 & PF?
The
> > demo for the first game was one of the first programs I ran on my
XP
> > 2Ghz machine back in early 2002. At first it was a slog - though
> > things improved when I added a GFIII graphics card. Still, my
sense is
> > that Il-2 is at the edge of my my system - a P4 BTW, with 40GB HD &
512
> > MB ram. I already have CFS2 - does PF bring that much more to the
> > pacific theater style warfare than CFS2 did?
> >

> The system req's are more stout for IL2-FB and PF, as far as I know.
What
> is the CPU speed for you P4? What kind of graphics card do you have?
FYI,
> if you bump your RAM up to 1GB you will be in for a much nicer gaming

> experience.

2 Ghz CPU speed. 64 MB GeForce 3, 512mb RAM. I guess this would be a
great excuse for getting more RAM. I'm leery of getting a new graphics
card since the GF seeme to run quite well, I'm confused by all the
newer card types, don't know which are compatible or which would offer
any improvement.

> Personally, I don't think that PF should be run in standalone mode.
I think
> it makes a lot more compelling game to have IL2-FB and AEP installed,
then
> install PF over top of that. PF by itself is pretty limited, and
almost
> everyone out there playing multiplayer will have IL2-FB/AEP.

Thanks for the heads-up.

"Bossk" <Bossk128SPAMERAMA@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hullo everybody,
> I've read reviews and am quite keen to try out IL2, but am
> stumped as to which version to get. Does IL2- Forgotten Battles
> contain the same content (and more) of IL2? Or do I need IL2 Sturmovik
> plus IL2 Sturmivik:Forgotten Battles. I understand that AEP,Pacific
> Battles etc are extras.
> Cheers
> Bossk

The first game was called IL2 Sturmovik.
The next game was called IL2 Forgotten Battles (aka FB).
Then they released an add-on for FB called Aces Expansion Pack.
Then they bundled FB & Aces together and called it the Gold Pack.
And now there's Pacific Fighters.

Confused? Join the club. ;)

IMO, get the Gold Pack which pretty much includes everything for IL2. Next
get Pacific Fighters. You can install Pacific Fighters to the same dir as
FB and fly all the planes from one menu. You can also install Pacific
Fighters to it's own dir.

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=128 (Gold Pack)

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=1045 (Pacific Fighters)

WARNING! Be careful about which patch you install to the games. It can be
a little confusing the first time thru it. You can use this link to see
which patches are out there and which ones you need to d/l and install. If
in doubt, just post in here.
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/il2sturmovik2/downloads/

Hope this helps.

Oh, here's the IL2 home page.
http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/il2_fb.php

Look on the left side and click each link. If you click the 'IL2 FB' link,
you should see this:

Forgotten Battles offers all the gameplay of IL-2 Sturmovik, plus many new
additions. These include (but are not limited to):

* 30 new flyable aircraft
* 23 new AI-controlled aircraft
* New AI ground objects and vehicles for each new map area, with new 3D
building models
* Ranking and award system for Finnish and Hungarian pilots
* Selectable custom user-made skins in single play mode for players and
all AI aircraft
* All IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles aircraft available in Quick
Mission Builder, except seaplanes and gliders
* Improved flight dynamics
* More realistic AI scripting to create more realistic battles
* New engine management relating to radiators, superchargers and fuel
mixture control for different altitudes
* Online track recorder and editor
* A New system of single play track recording and editing
* Search lights and barrage balloons (including intercommunication with
AA artillery)
* New ships including the Russian battleship Marat, Russian cruisers
Aurora and Kirov and German cruiser Niobe (but not limited to)
* Play up to 32 players online in dogfight and in cooperative modes
(depending on your internet connection)
* IL-2 Sturmovik and IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles are not
compatible with each other when playing online

# IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles includes from the original IL-2
Sturmovik game:

* All aircraft (including those released for free in add-ons)
* All maps

# IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles does not include from the original IL-2
Sturmovik game:

* The single missions
* The multiplayer missions
* The 3 offline single player campaigns

"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message

> # IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles does not include from the original
> IL-2
> Sturmovik game:
>
> * The single missions
> * The multiplayer missions
> * The 3 offline single player campaigns

But I understand that they've been imported. So they should be flyable from
within FB.

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
> >
> > # IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles does not include from the original
> > IL-2
> > Sturmovik game:
> >
> > * The single missions
> > * The multiplayer missions
> > * The 3 offline single player campaigns
> >

> But I understand that they've been imported. So they should be flyable
from
> within FB.

Couldn't say for sure. This is just what was posted on their web site
(maybe they never got around to updating their web site?). Even if they
were left out, IMO he should skip the first IL2 and go with Forgotten
Battles.

Plus there's so many single/multiplayer missions out there to d/l that the
first and second items shouldn't be too big of an issue. And Forgotten
Battle supports campaigns.

am

> IMO he should skip the first IL2 and go with Forgotten
> Battles.

No question SKIP the first IL 2 !!!!!

FB, and ACE Exapnsion Pak, and PF
are all designed to work together, IL 2 is a totally seperate sim.

--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

"Bossk" <Bossk128SPAMERAMA@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hullo everybody,
> I've read reviews and am quite keen to try out IL2, but am
> stumped as to which version to get. Does IL2- Forgotten Battles
> contain the same content (and more) of IL2? Or do I need IL2 Sturmovik
> plus IL2 Sturmivik:Forgotten Battles. I understand that AEP,Pacific
> Battles etc are extras.
> Cheers
> Bossk

I like Pacific fighters best, have played all and they are all good but PF I
think in my favorite.