Would This Hurt?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
October 18, 2004 12:40:28 AM

When I play in clubs, I usually have stage monitors for me and the
front man running off a separate monitor amp. This time I was lazy.
It was a small club and the front man didn't need a monitor. But to
give myself a little perk (in the back playing drums and singing) I
connected a Peavey Hot Spot to one of the main speakers. My question
is, would this hurt the amp since it is running two speakers on one
side instead of a balanced scheme?

More about : hurt

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 18, 2004 10:34:26 AM

"Mike" <MCDrumman@excite.com> wrote in message
> When I play in clubs, I usually have stage monitors for me and the
> front man running off a separate monitor amp. This time I was lazy.
> It was a small club and the front man didn't need a monitor. But to
> give myself a little perk (in the back playing drums and singing) I
> connected a Peavey Hot Spot to one of the main speakers. My question
> is, would this hurt the amp since it is running two speakers on one
> side instead of a balanced scheme?

Depends on the amp. The problem's not running one channel with a different
load from the other; the problem's that you're hanging two speakers in
parallel on one channel, and that lowers the impedance. If they're both
8-ohm speakers you're now hanging 4 ohms on the amp. If it's rated for 4
ohms (most are), you should be fine. On the other hand, if your main speaker
is 4 ohms, you may be pushing the amp's capabilities if it's not rated for
less than 4 ohms. That would turn on the protection circuits, which would
hurt the sound, and if the amp was clipping, it could fry the tweeters.

Peace,
Paul
!