Falcon 4 with FF3.1 - and ATI Cat 5.2

I decided to do that Falcon 4 dance again. I have an ATI X800 XT Platinum
using Cat 5.2 drivers with WindowsXP SP2.

I followed the install instructions:

(1) Original Falcon 4
(2) Free Falcon 3
(3) Free Falcon 3.1
(4) HiTiles
(5) Aeyes Cockpit

First of all, what file do I execute? Cobra One or Free Falcon? And do I
need to expand the packages using their configurators? It's been a while
since I've done this, and could use a detailed explanation.

When I run the CobraOne , I get corruption of the graphics in the menus
where the cursor is. And then it freezes up when I try to start a game.

Any help is appreciated
21 answers Last reply
More about falcon
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hockey - Post here - http://www.freefalcon.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

    Try setting your video to 32bit if you haven't already. I'm running a
    6800GT and not seeing corruption, bet its mentioned on the FF site
    tho..

    Icer

    >On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:16:30 -0500, "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
    >I decided to do that Falcon 4 dance again. I have an ATI X800 XT Platinum
    >using Cat 5.2 drivers with WindowsXP SP2.
    >
    >I followed the install instructions:
    >
    >(1) Original Falcon 4
    >(2) Free Falcon 3
    >(3) Free Falcon 3.1
    >(4) HiTiles
    >(5) Aeyes Cockpit
    >
    >First of all, what file do I execute? Cobra One or Free Falcon? And do I
    >need to expand the packages using their configurators? It's been a while
    >since I've done this, and could use a detailed explanation.
    >
    >When I run the CobraOne , I get corruption of the graphics in the menus
    >where the cursor is. And then it freezes up when I try to start a game.
    >
    >Any help is appreciated

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:16:30 -0500, HockeyTownUSA wrote:

    >I decided to do that Falcon 4 dance again. I have an ATI X800 XT Platinum
    >using Cat 5.2 drivers with WindowsXP SP2.
    >
    >I followed the install instructions:
    >
    >(1) Original Falcon 4
    >(2) Free Falcon 3
    >(3) Free Falcon 3.1
    >(4) HiTiles
    >(5) Aeyes Cockpit
    >
    >First of all, what file do I execute? Cobra One or Free Falcon?

    CobraOne.

    >And do I
    >need to expand the packages using their configurators? It's been a while
    >since I've done this, and could use a detailed explanation.

    Only if you want to do some tweaking - usually there are a few
    settings that I toggle on/off. I only used the CobraOne config. -
    making sure that it points to CobraOne.

    >When I run the CobraOne , I get corruption of the graphics in the menus
    >where the cursor is. And then it freezes up when I try to start a game.

    It may be that you need to re-compress the textures (as you've added
    Hi-Tiles *after* FF). Use one of the compressors in "Utilities", off
    the root F4 directory.

    Your set-up is pretty well identical to mine (add-on wise and OS) -
    except I have a GF4 Ti440.

    Adamski.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:16:30 -0500, HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    >>First of all, what file do I execute? Cobra One or Free Falcon?
    >
    > CobraOne.

    What the hell is CobraOne???

    >>When I run the CobraOne , I get corruption of the graphics in the menus
    >>where the cursor is. And then it freezes up when I try to start a game.
    >
    > It may be that you need to re-compress the textures (as you've added
    > Hi-Tiles *after* FF). Use one of the compressors in "Utilities", off
    > the root F4 directory.

    Oh yeah right.... How in the hell do you re-compress textures? This
    is what is wrong with this whole mess. WTF are you people even
    talking about?

    > Your set-up is pretty well identical to mine (add-on wise and OS) -
    > except I have a GF4 Ti440.

    What does that mean? How does it help? X-Box is really looking
    better.

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:16:30 -0500, HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    >
    >>I decided to do that Falcon 4 dance again. I have an ATI X800 XT Platinum
    >>using Cat 5.2 drivers with WindowsXP SP2.
    >>
    >>I followed the install instructions:
    >>
    >>(1) Original Falcon 4
    >>(2) Free Falcon 3
    >>(3) Free Falcon 3.1
    >>(4) HiTiles
    >>(5) Aeyes Cockpit
    >>
    >>First of all, what file do I execute? Cobra One or Free Falcon?
    >
    > CobraOne.
    >
    >>And do I
    >>need to expand the packages using their configurators? It's been a while
    >>since I've done this, and could use a detailed explanation.
    >
    > Only if you want to do some tweaking - usually there are a few
    > settings that I toggle on/off. I only used the CobraOne config. -
    > making sure that it points to CobraOne.
    >
    >>When I run the CobraOne , I get corruption of the graphics in the menus
    >>where the cursor is. And then it freezes up when I try to start a game.
    >
    > It may be that you need to re-compress the textures (as you've added
    > Hi-Tiles *after* FF). Use one of the compressors in "Utilities", off
    > the root F4 directory.
    >
    > Your set-up is pretty well identical to mine (add-on wise and OS) -
    > except I have a GF4 Ti440.
    >
    > Adamski.

    I have set it to 32 bit, but still get pointer corruption in the menus. And
    I can't even START a campaign or it will crash. I've installed fresh twice
    to no avail. When I run the HiTiles program, it says to run the season
    switcher, which I didn't do because I thought it defaulted to summer
    textures, at least that is what it says in the readme. I will give that a
    shot first I guess, but hate to keep trying things that take 10 minutes for
    textures to decompress and then have it not work.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:16:30 -0500, HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    > >>First of all, what file do I execute? Cobra One or Free Falcon?
    > >
    > > CobraOne.
    >
    > What the hell is CobraOne???
    >
    > >>When I run the CobraOne , I get corruption of the graphics in the menus
    > >>where the cursor is. And then it freezes up when I try to start a game.
    > >
    > > It may be that you need to re-compress the textures (as you've added
    > > Hi-Tiles *after* FF). Use one of the compressors in "Utilities", off
    > > the root F4 directory.
    >
    > Oh yeah right.... How in the hell do you re-compress textures? This
    > is what is wrong with this whole mess. WTF are you people even
    > talking about?
    >
    > > Your set-up is pretty well identical to mine (add-on wise and OS) -
    > > except I have a GF4 Ti440.
    >
    > What does that mean? How does it help? X-Box is really looking
    > better.
    >
    > --
    >
    > gcisko@hotmail.com

    Hehe, well, the Falcon dance is back to it's state of a few years ago.
    Remember the big speeches about consolidating everything ? <g> Worse now
    than it used to be in terms of dancing.

    I just stick with a straight SP install, and spend time flying instead.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 00:50:43 -0600, Greg Cisko wrote:

    >"Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:16:30 -0500, HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    >>>First of all, what file do I execute? Cobra One or Free Falcon?
    >>
    >> CobraOne.
    >
    >What the hell is CobraOne???

    What's up? Dog ate your favourite teddy bear?? Why the foul language?

    CobraOne is a BMS-style add-on. Not sure what exactly happened to BMS
    - or the dispute over the legality of what they do, but this add-on
    puts the weather back into BMS 2.0 - along with a fair few other
    tweaks.

    >> It may be that you need to re-compress the textures (as you've added
    >> Hi-Tiles *after* FF). Use one of the compressors in "Utilities", off
    >> the root F4 directory.
    >
    >Oh yeah right.... How in the hell do you re-compress textures? This
    >is what is wrong with this whole mess. WTF are you people even
    >talking about?

    Jeez - what IS your problem? If you look in the Utilities directory,
    you'll see "TerrainTexCompress.exe" and "TexCompress.exe". These
    simply convert the old .bmp files to the new(er) .dds dormat.

    >> Your set-up is pretty well identical to mine (add-on wise and OS) -
    >> except I have a GF4 Ti440.
    >
    >What does that mean? How does it help? X-Box is really looking
    >better.

    Sarcastic little bugger, aren't you? I was only trying to heklp, FFS.

    Adamski.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Sounds like a real good solution! A real winner!!!!!

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com

    "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:16:30 -0500, HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    >>
    >>>I decided to do that Falcon 4 dance again. I have an ATI X800 XT Platinum
    >>>using Cat 5.2 drivers with WindowsXP SP2.
    >>>
    >>>I followed the install instructions:
    >>>
    >>>(1) Original Falcon 4
    >>>(2) Free Falcon 3
    >>>(3) Free Falcon 3.1
    >>>(4) HiTiles
    >>>(5) Aeyes Cockpit
    >>>
    >>>First of all, what file do I execute? Cobra One or Free Falcon?
    >>
    >> CobraOne.
    >>
    >>>And do I
    >>>need to expand the packages using their configurators? It's been a while
    >>>since I've done this, and could use a detailed explanation.
    >>
    >> Only if you want to do some tweaking - usually there are a few
    >> settings that I toggle on/off. I only used the CobraOne config. -
    >> making sure that it points to CobraOne.
    >>
    >>>When I run the CobraOne , I get corruption of the graphics in the menus
    >>>where the cursor is. And then it freezes up when I try to start a game.
    >>
    >> It may be that you need to re-compress the textures (as you've added
    >> Hi-Tiles *after* FF). Use one of the compressors in "Utilities", off
    >> the root F4 directory.
    >>
    >> Your set-up is pretty well identical to mine (add-on wise and OS) -
    >> except I have a GF4 Ti440.
    >>
    >> Adamski.
    >
    > I have set it to 32 bit, but still get pointer corruption in the menus.
    > And I can't even START a campaign or it will crash. I've installed fresh
    > twice to no avail. When I run the HiTiles program, it says to run the
    > season switcher, which I didn't do because I thought it defaulted to
    > summer textures, at least that is what it says in the readme. I will give
    > that a shot first I guess, but hate to keep trying things that take 10
    > minutes for textures to decompress and then have it not work.

  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    You have to run the Seaxon Switcher Hockey, as it is the way that it
    recompresses the new Hitles textures into F4..

    Icer

    >On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:01:50 -0500, "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >"Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:16:30 -0500, HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    >>
    >>>I decided to do that Falcon 4 dance again. I have an ATI X800 XT Platinum
    >>>using Cat 5.2 drivers with WindowsXP SP2.
    >>>
    >>>I followed the install instructions:
    >>>
    >>>(1) Original Falcon 4
    >>>(2) Free Falcon 3
    >>>(3) Free Falcon 3.1
    >>>(4) HiTiles
    >>>(5) Aeyes Cockpit
    >>>
    >>>First of all, what file do I execute? Cobra One or Free Falcon?
    >>
    >> CobraOne.
    >>
    >>>And do I
    >>>need to expand the packages using their configurators? It's been a while
    >>>since I've done this, and could use a detailed explanation.
    >>
    >> Only if you want to do some tweaking - usually there are a few
    >> settings that I toggle on/off. I only used the CobraOne config. -
    >> making sure that it points to CobraOne.
    >>
    >>>When I run the CobraOne , I get corruption of the graphics in the menus
    >>>where the cursor is. And then it freezes up when I try to start a game.
    >>
    >> It may be that you need to re-compress the textures (as you've added
    >> Hi-Tiles *after* FF). Use one of the compressors in "Utilities", off
    >> the root F4 directory.
    >>
    >> Your set-up is pretty well identical to mine (add-on wise and OS) -
    >> except I have a GF4 Ti440.
    >>
    >> Adamski.
    >
    >I have set it to 32 bit, but still get pointer corruption in the menus. And
    >I can't even START a campaign or it will crash. I've installed fresh twice
    >to no avail. When I run the HiTiles program, it says to run the season
    >switcher, which I didn't do because I thought it defaulted to summer
    >textures, at least that is what it says in the readme. I will give that a
    >shot first I guess, but hate to keep trying things that take 10 minutes for
    >textures to decompress and then have it not work.

  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "G. Patricks" <GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
    > You have to run the Seaxon Switcher Hockey, as it is the way that it
    > recompresses the new Hitles textures into F4..

    Well WTF is the "Seaxton Switcher"???

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    It turns a Summer boy into a Winter girl...

    SEASON Switcher, sorry..
    C:\MicroProse\Falcon4\Utilities\SeasonSwitcher.exe

    Never said I could type (or spell!).

    Icer

    >On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:47:08 -0600, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >"G. Patricks" <GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
    >> You have to run the Seaxon Switcher Hockey, as it is the way that it
    >> recompresses the new Hitles textures into F4..
    >
    >Well WTF is the "Seaxton Switcher"???
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    wrote:

    >"G. Patricks" <GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
    >> You have to run the Seaxon Switcher Hockey, as it is the way that it
    >> recompresses the new Hitles textures into F4..
    >
    >Well WTF is the "Seaxton Switcher"???

    Keyword: fossil :)
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Does it require a boot floppy?

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com

    "Weaver" <dratI@forgot.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:47:08 -0600, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"G. Patricks" <GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
    >>> You have to run the Seaxon Switcher Hockey, as it is the way that it
    >>> recompresses the new Hitles textures into F4..
    >>
    >>Well WTF is the "Seaxton Switcher"???
    >
    > Keyword: fossil :)

  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:02:10 -0500, G. Patricks
    <GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote:

    Will BAZT 1.1 still work ...... does anyone know
    And if I install HiTiles I have to recompress using season switcher
    after HiTiles? There are three utilities in there that look like they
    could be used Texcompress and another one besides season switcher??

    Falcon4 CD
    FF3
    FF3.1
    Cobra1.1
    HiTilesPayVersion
    BAZT1.1

    thx for any info

    >You have to run the Seaxon Switcher Hockey, as it is the way that it
    >recompresses the new Hitles textures into F4..
    >
    >Icer
    >
    >>On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:01:50 -0500, "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    >>> CobraOne.

    >>> Only if you want to do some tweaking - usually there are a few
    >>> settings that I toggle on/off. I only used the CobraOne config. -
    >>> making sure that it points to CobraOne.

    >>> It may be that you need to re-compress the textures (as you've added
    >>> Hi-Tiles *after* FF). Use one of the compressors in "Utilities", off
    >>> the root F4 directory.
    >>>
    >>> Your set-up is pretty well identical to mine (add-on wise and OS) -
    >>> except I have a GF4 Ti440.
    >>>
    >>> Adamski.
    >>
    >>I have set it to 32 bit, but still get pointer corruption in the menus. And
    >>I can't even START a campaign or it will crash. I've installed fresh twice
    >>to no avail. When I run the HiTiles program, it says to run the season
    >>switcher, which I didn't do because I thought it defaulted to summer
    >>textures, at least that is what it says in the readme. I will give that a
    >>shot first I guess, but hate to keep trying things that take 10 minutes for
    >>textures to decompress and then have it not work.

  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Well. DUH. WTF is BAZT???????????

    You people have got to be joking....

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com

    <WyleCoyote@cactus.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:02:10 -0500, G. Patricks
    > <GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote:
    >
    > Will BAZT 1.1 still work ...... does anyone know
    > And if I install HiTiles I have to recompress using season switcher
    > after HiTiles? There are three utilities in there that look like they
    > could be used Texcompress and another one besides season switcher??
    >

    > Falcon4 CD
    > FF3
    > FF3.1
    > Cobra1.1
    > HiTilesPayVersion
    > BAZT1.1
    >
    > thx for any info
    >

    >>You have to run the Seaxon Switcher Hockey, as it is the way that it
    >>recompresses the new Hitles textures into F4..
    >>
    >>Icer
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:01:50 -0500, "HockeyTownUSA"
    >>><magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>"Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    >>>I have set it to 32 bit, but still get pointer corruption in the menus.
    >>>And
    >>>I can't even START a campaign or it will crash. I've installed fresh
    >>>twice
    >>>to no avail. When I run the HiTiles program, it says to run the season
    >>>switcher, which I didn't do because I thought it defaulted to summer
    >>>textures, at least that is what it says in the readme. I will give that a
    >>>shot first I guess, but hate to keep trying things that take 10 minutes
    >>>for
    >>>textures to decompress and then have it not work.

  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:58:45 -0600, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    It's higher elevations for the terrain map

    >Well. DUH. WTF is BAZT???????????
    >
    >You people have got to be joking....
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:58:45 -0600, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > It's higher elevations for the terrain map

    Great! Unbelievable! Awesome! What happened to install from
    CD, FF3 and you are done? People need to keep incorperating
    things into one easy step. Otherwise you need a roadmap/score
    card which blows.

    This is not meant to dog people doing hard work to keep the
    Falcon 4 dream going, and becoming what it should have been
    in the first place. In fact a big thank you is in order.

    This is just keeping it real :-) Install from CD, FF3 (or whatever)
    and everything is good.

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com

    >>Well. DUH. WTF is BAZT???????????
    >>
    >>You people have got to be joking....

  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 03:03:58 GMT, WyleCoyote@cactus.com wrote:

    >On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:02:10 -0500, G. Patricks
    ><GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote:
    >
    >Will BAZT 1.1 still work ...... does anyone know
    >And if I install HiTiles I have to recompress using season switcher
    >after HiTiles? There are three utilities in there that look like they
    >could be used Texcompress and another one besides season switcher??
    >

    >Falcon4 CD
    >FF3
    >FF3.1
    >Cobra1.1
    >HiTilesPayVersion
    >BAZT1.1

    If you do the Cobra part of the dance *last*, it'll automatically do
    the compression thing.

    If you've already installed it, and are just adding BazT, then I think
    you'll need to tun season switcher - or one of the other compress
    utilities in the Utils directory. Not sure which - I suspect they'll
    all do the job.

    For the benefit of the person that starts every message with "WTF"
    (you know who you are!) ... BaZT is an elevation correction patch. It
    claims to restore the proper elevation data for the Korea map
    (apparently, Microprose "flattened it" on purpose for some
    co-ordinated air/ground battle thing that never happened).

    BazT [allegedly] recalculates the grid, then re-wraps the tiles over
    it. As far as I can see, it seems to work fine - mountains like like
    mountains. AI and radar respect the revised elevations, but I've found
    the odd airfield goes a bit wrong - particularly in multiplayer
    (planes half submerged in condrete runways etc. <ggg>.

    Adamski.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    The order shown below is incorrect. FF 3.1 CONTAINS Cobra 1.1, you do
    not install Cobra again after upgrading to 3.1...

    Icer

    >On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:25:34 +1300, Adamski <anon@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 03:03:58 GMT, WyleCoyote@cactus.com wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:02:10 -0500, G. Patricks
    >><GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Will BAZT 1.1 still work ...... does anyone know
    >>And if I install HiTiles I have to recompress using season switcher
    >>after HiTiles? There are three utilities in there that look like they
    >>could be used Texcompress and another one besides season switcher??
    >>

    >>Falcon4 CD
    >>FF3
    >>FF3.1
    >>Cobra1.1
    >>HiTilesPayVersion
    >>BAZT1.1
    >
    >If you do the Cobra part of the dance *last*, it'll automatically do
    >the compression thing.
    >
    >If you've already installed it, and are just adding BazT, then I think
    >you'll need to tun season switcher - or one of the other compress
    >utilities in the Utils directory. Not sure which - I suspect they'll
    >all do the job.
    >
    >For the benefit of the person that starts every message with "WTF"
    >(you know who you are!) ... BaZT is an elevation correction patch. It
    >claims to restore the proper elevation data for the Korea map
    >(apparently, Microprose "flattened it" on purpose for some
    >co-ordinated air/ground battle thing that never happened).
    >
    >BazT [allegedly] recalculates the grid, then re-wraps the tiles over
    >it. As far as I can see, it seems to work fine - mountains like like
    >mountains. AI and radar respect the revised elevations, but I've found
    >the odd airfield goes a bit wrong - particularly in multiplayer
    >(planes half submerged in condrete runways etc. <ggg>.
    >
    >Adamski.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:25:34 +1300, Adamski <anon@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 03:03:58 GMT, WyleCoyote@cactus.com wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:02:10 -0500, G. Patricks
    >><GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Will BAZT 1.1 still work ...... does anyone know
    >>And if I install HiTiles I have to recompress using season switcher
    >>after HiTiles? There are three utilities in there that look like they
    >>could be used Texcompress and another one besides season switcher??
    >>

    >>Falcon4 CD
    >>FF3
    >>FF3.1
    >>Cobra1.1
    >>HiTilesPayVersion
    >>BAZT1.1

    Got HiTiles loaded OK and the Wilson add on cockpits for
    BMS3 which work fine with Cobra

    Still haven't done BAZT1.1 yet though ....... hope it doesn't
    trash my install ..... finally got everything else working reasonably
    well ..... doing the dance gets old but oh well .........

    I can tell already running 1600X1200 3D pit is going to crawl
    my framerate when it hits campaign ..... probably have to
    drop back

    >If you do the Cobra part of the dance *last*, it'll automatically do
    >the compression thing.
    >
    >If you've already installed it, and are just adding BazT, then I think
    >you'll need to tun season switcher - or one of the other compress
    >utilities in the Utils directory. Not sure which - I suspect they'll
    >all do the job.
    >
    >For the benefit of the person that starts every message with "WTF"
    >(you know who you are!) ... BaZT is an elevation correction patch. It
    >claims to restore the proper elevation data for the Korea map
    >(apparently, Microprose "flattened it" on purpose for some
    >co-ordinated air/ground battle thing that never happened).

    Thanks for the info ......... I never noticed that before
    that you noted below .... heh heh ..... but I haven't
    been using multiplayer ....... I barely have enough
    time to keep up with this great sim and the updates
    I get away from it for a while and then have to relearn
    again ....... currently trying to update cougar Hotas files
    and then that's a whole other mind bender in and of itself

    there still is no sim that beats F4 particularly with all the
    great updates from those dedicated guys ....... what a great
    job they do .......

    Cheers ..........

    >BazT [allegedly] recalculates the grid, then re-wraps the tiles over
    >it. As far as I can see, it seems to work fine - mountains like like
    >mountains. AI and radar respect the revised elevations, but I've found
    >the odd airfield goes a bit wrong - particularly in multiplayer
    >(planes half submerged in condrete runways etc. <ggg>.
    >
    >Adamski.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:44:16 -0500, G. Patricks
    <GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote:

    >The order shown below is incorrect. FF 3.1 CONTAINS Cobra 1.1, you do
    >not install Cobra again after upgrading to 3.1...
    >
    >Icer

    Yes ...... I wasn't very clear on that .... I was more focused on the
    order and assumed a fresh install.
    Thanks ...... I did a fresh install of everything ........ just to be
    safe

    >>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:25:34 +1300, Adamski <anon@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >>On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 03:03:58 GMT, WyleCoyote@cactus.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:02:10 -0500, G. Patricks
    >>><GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Will BAZT 1.1 still work ...... does anyone know
    >>>And if I install HiTiles I have to recompress using season switcher
    >>>after HiTiles? There are three utilities in there that look like they
    >>>could be used Texcompress and another one besides season switcher??
    >>>

    >>>Falcon4 CD
    >>>FF3
    >>>FF3.1
    >>>Cobra1.1
    >>>HiTilesPayVersion
    >>>BAZT1.1
    >>
    >>If you do the Cobra part of the dance *last*, it'll automatically do
    >>the compression thing.
    >>
    >>If you've already installed it, and are just adding BazT, then I think
    >>you'll need to tun season switcher - or one of the other compress
    >>utilities in the Utils directory. Not sure which - I suspect they'll
    >>all do the job.
    >>
    >>For the benefit of the person that starts every message with "WTF"
    >>(you know who you are!) ... BaZT is an elevation correction patch. It
    >>claims to restore the proper elevation data for the Korea map
    >>(apparently, Microprose "flattened it" on purpose for some
    >>co-ordinated air/ground battle thing that never happened).
    >>
    >>BazT [allegedly] recalculates the grid, then re-wraps the tiles over
    >>it. As far as I can see, it seems to work fine - mountains like like
    >>mountains. AI and radar respect the revised elevations, but I've found
    >>the odd airfield goes a bit wrong - particularly in multiplayer
    >>(planes half submerged in condrete runways etc. <ggg>.
    >>
    >>Adamski.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:56:52 -0600, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Does it require a boot floppy?

    boot floppy?