Cannot Edit Permissions for Windows 8 Registry Key

mattagiii

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Hello all, I have an odd issue with the registry in Windows 8. I've searched around quite a bit, and there's a solution that keeps popping up everywhere, but it doesn't work for me. Basically, I was trying to edit the FriendlyName of my wireless adapter, and so I discovered that there's a registry key for it at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002E&SUBSYS_E034105B&REV_01\4&378dc90b&0&00E5

So I found it, but alas, I don't have the permission to edit it. So, I looked that up. It should be a simple fix, involving going to Permissions, Advanced, Add, adding a user, hitting ok a few times, and making sure to change the child object permissions. Not that I know everything about what I'm doing, but I have a good idea.

Yet when I follow these directions cited on many forums, I get the message, "Unable to save permission changes on .... Access is denied". This particular edit isn't that big a deal, but I want to be able to enable editing of other things too. Any suggestions on why it won't let me? Your help is greatly appreciated.

mattagiii

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Better understanding of permissions in Windows, the ability to change other similar registry keys that are more important in the future, the possibility of helping someone else who has a more important key they need to change and the same problem with permissions... the list goes on. Plus it can't hurt to have a bit of ocd once in a while.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
umm wouldn't it be simpler to do this the recommended way? Find the Wireless adapter in Network Connections. Right-Click on it and select rename.

As far are not having rights did you first make sure to run the registry editor in admin mode?

mattagiii

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Ahhhh, so simple! I did have to do that first. Thanks!! One thing, though. It gives me that same error if I try to take ownership with the Administrators group. So I tried the Users group, which worked. Why doesn't it let me take ownership with Administrators?

mattagiii

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

That just changes the name of the connection (i.e. Wi-Fi) to something else, not the actual name of the adapter. At least to my knowledge.

And yeah, I've been in admin mode the whole way.

mattagiii

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

Fair enough haha, I shall do so. Thanks!