Pausing in LOMAC

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 6, 2005 4:03:46 PM

Hello,
whilst in flight, lomac freezes on me for roughly 6seconds, sometimes
longer. during these lock ups, the game continues to run, so when it
restarts my plane has jumped to somewhere else, ie a bank to the left may
suddenly have changed to a roll.
system: AMD 3500, abit AV8, 6800GT, Audigy2, 2gb GeiL ultra pc3200. All up
to date drivers, no overclocking. (i suspect it may be the pagefile, but am
not sure).
TIA!

More about : pausing lomac

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 4:03:47 PM

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 13:03:46 +0000 (UTC), "Carl" <carl@theworld.com>
wrote:

>Hello,
> whilst in flight, lomac freezes on me for roughly 6seconds, sometimes
>longer. during these lock ups, the game continues to run, so when it
>restarts my plane has jumped to somewhere else, ie a bank to the left may
>suddenly have changed to a roll.
>system: AMD 3500, abit AV8, 6800GT, Audigy2, 2gb GeiL ultra pc3200. All up
>to date drivers, no overclocking. (i suspect it may be the pagefile, but am
>not sure).
>TIA!

Ot it could be the game. But I have seen a few comments that having
2gbs of ram can hurt performance in comparison to 1gb of ram for some
reason. Pull 1gb of ram just to make sure. Benchmark your system with
1gb and 2gb and see if these rumours are true. You may need to just
turn some detail down in Lomac. Let's face facts. LOMAC is a PIG of a
game and IMO flight sim developers that put out military flight sims
that don't run well on modern PC's are myopic because they lose half
their potential customers immediately.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:05:29 AM

"Carl" <carl@theworld.com> wrote in message
news:D 0ev3i$fc2$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
> Hello,
> whilst in flight, lomac freezes on me for roughly 6seconds, sometimes
> longer. during these lock ups, the game continues to run, so when it
> restarts my plane has jumped to somewhere else, ie a bank to the left may
> suddenly have changed to a roll.
> system: AMD 3500, abit AV8, 6800GT, Audigy2, 2gb GeiL ultra pc3200. All up
> to date drivers, no overclocking. (i suspect it may be the pagefile, but
am
> not sure).
> TIA!

I was experiencing some game freezes in a few of my games. LoMAC being one
of them. Plus I had a few Windows issues (couldn't turn off Restore
feature). Finally I broke down and reformatted the HD and reinstalled
Windows. And reinstalled all the drivers. It cleared my game freezes.

However, I have yet to install LoMAC. This is still one game that I need
to test.

Also, have you checked to make sure nothing else is running while playing?

Have you checked your Windows/System hardware devices to make sure none of
them have a driver issue/conflict?

Finally, you might have a BIOS issue. Did you build this system, or was it
from a store? I built mine, and had to use one of the "How to tweak your
BIOS" web sites.
March 11, 2005 12:05:30 AM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:05:29 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>I was experiencing some game freezes in a few of my games. LoMAC being one
>of them. Plus I had a few Windows issues (couldn't turn off Restore
>feature).

I've never had the Restore feature cause pauses. It only kicks in when
the system is idle or when you install new software/drivers etc. I
know some people say it takes up resources and slows your computer
down but I've seen no evidence to support that.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:26:48 AM

"Connected" <connected@somewhere.here> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:05:29 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:
>

> >I was experiencing some game freezes in a few of my games. LoMAC being
one
> >of them. Plus I had a few Windows issues (couldn't turn off Restore
> >feature).
>
> I've never had the Restore feature cause pauses. It only kicks in when
> the system is idle or when you install new software/drivers etc. I
> know some people say it takes up resources and slows your computer
> down but I've seen no evidence to support that.

Short Answer, I had a Restore control issue. I don't think Restore in
itself was causing 'game pauses'. But it was what gave me a clue that
something was amiss with my install of Windows.

My first clue was when I ran Ad-Aware and it found 54 hits. Ok, not out of
the norm since it had been awhile since running it. So I'll just kill them
like I've done in the past. But it couldn't delete these 54 hits cause
Ad-Aware reported that they were in use by Windows. The hits were *.cpy
files in the _restore\temp dir.

So I started digging into it; one web site recommended to boot into Safe
mode and delete them. I couldn't do anything in Safe mode. Plus when I
went and looked at the Restore feature, I couldn't turn Restore off. And
when I went to look in my _restore\temp dir, I had 30,000 files that totaled
28gb!

I even wasted a few days while I booted the computer into DOS mode, manual
went to the temp dir, and did a del *.*. After letting the computer run
for 12hrs, it had only deleted about 8k files = 8gb. To make matters
worse, after a few days, I rechecked it and it was back up another 2k files!
I was taking two steps forward and one step backwards :(

Since I couldn't turn off Restore, the fact that I had some temp files that
were reported as ad-ware, Windows Help wouldn't load, plus some of my games
were struttering, I figured the heck with messing around, it was time to
reformat the HD drive.
March 12, 2005 12:18:41 PM

"OldDog", I will follow your advice and reboot, hopefully to a smooth
flowing game of LOMAC. Oh aye, i didn't list a Highpoint RocketRAID 1640
with 4x Seagate Barracuda 80gb; or a hauppauge Nexus-x satellite card. d'oh!
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 7:19:15 PM

Carl wrote:

> "OldDog", I will follow your advice and reboot, hopefully to a smooth
> flowing game of LOMAC. Oh aye, i didn't list a Highpoint RocketRAID 1640
> with 4x Seagate Barracuda 80gb; or a hauppauge Nexus-x satellite card.
> d'oh!

Be sure to check out some of the graphics perf improvements. The big one is
explosion effects.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

"Carl" <carl@theworld.com> wrote in message
news:D 0uc5g$q1l$1@sparta.btinternet.com...

> "OldDog", I will follow your advice and reboot, hopefully to a smooth
> flowing game of LOMAC. Oh aye, i didn't list a Highpoint RocketRAID 1640
> with 4x Seagate Barracuda 80gb; or a hauppauge Nexus-x satellite card.
d'oh!

I should clarify my suggestions. While in my case, a reformat and
reinstall solved a lot of issues, including game struttering, it should
probably be the last thing a user tries. Checking drivers, BIOS settings,
and tweaking the game settings should be looked at first.
March 15, 2005 5:08:00 AM

No need to clarify, i had already tried all the others. Got it running
smoothly now, no problems. I was thinking that it needed a reinstall, but
did not want the hassle. Turns out it did the job!
!