Pausing in LOMAC

Hello,
whilst in flight, lomac freezes on me for roughly 6seconds, sometimes
longer. during these lock ups, the game continues to run, so when it
restarts my plane has jumped to somewhere else, ie a bank to the left may
suddenly have changed to a roll.
system: AMD 3500, abit AV8, 6800GT, Audigy2, 2gb GeiL ultra pc3200. All up
to date drivers, no overclocking. (i suspect it may be the pagefile, but am
not sure).
TIA!
8 answers Last reply
More about pausing lomac
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 13:03:46 +0000 (UTC), "Carl" <carl@theworld.com>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    > whilst in flight, lomac freezes on me for roughly 6seconds, sometimes
    >longer. during these lock ups, the game continues to run, so when it
    >restarts my plane has jumped to somewhere else, ie a bank to the left may
    >suddenly have changed to a roll.
    >system: AMD 3500, abit AV8, 6800GT, Audigy2, 2gb GeiL ultra pc3200. All up
    >to date drivers, no overclocking. (i suspect it may be the pagefile, but am
    >not sure).
    >TIA!

    Ot it could be the game. But I have seen a few comments that having
    2gbs of ram can hurt performance in comparison to 1gb of ram for some
    reason. Pull 1gb of ram just to make sure. Benchmark your system with
    1gb and 2gb and see if these rumours are true. You may need to just
    turn some detail down in Lomac. Let's face facts. LOMAC is a PIG of a
    game and IMO flight sim developers that put out military flight sims
    that don't run well on modern PC's are myopic because they lose half
    their potential customers immediately.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Carl" <carl@theworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > whilst in flight, lomac freezes on me for roughly 6seconds, sometimes
    > longer. during these lock ups, the game continues to run, so when it
    > restarts my plane has jumped to somewhere else, ie a bank to the left may
    > suddenly have changed to a roll.
    > system: AMD 3500, abit AV8, 6800GT, Audigy2, 2gb GeiL ultra pc3200. All up
    > to date drivers, no overclocking. (i suspect it may be the pagefile, but
    am
    > not sure).
    > TIA!

    I was experiencing some game freezes in a few of my games. LoMAC being one
    of them. Plus I had a few Windows issues (couldn't turn off Restore
    feature). Finally I broke down and reformatted the HD and reinstalled
    Windows. And reinstalled all the drivers. It cleared my game freezes.

    However, I have yet to install LoMAC. This is still one game that I need
    to test.

    Also, have you checked to make sure nothing else is running while playing?

    Have you checked your Windows/System hardware devices to make sure none of
    them have a driver issue/conflict?

    Finally, you might have a BIOS issue. Did you build this system, or was it
    from a store? I built mine, and had to use one of the "How to tweak your
    BIOS" web sites.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:05:29 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

    >I was experiencing some game freezes in a few of my games. LoMAC being one
    >of them. Plus I had a few Windows issues (couldn't turn off Restore
    >feature).

    I've never had the Restore feature cause pauses. It only kicks in when
    the system is idle or when you install new software/drivers etc. I
    know some people say it takes up resources and slows your computer
    down but I've seen no evidence to support that.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Connected" <connected@somewhere.here> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:05:29 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:
    >

    > >I was experiencing some game freezes in a few of my games. LoMAC being
    one
    > >of them. Plus I had a few Windows issues (couldn't turn off Restore
    > >feature).
    >
    > I've never had the Restore feature cause pauses. It only kicks in when
    > the system is idle or when you install new software/drivers etc. I
    > know some people say it takes up resources and slows your computer
    > down but I've seen no evidence to support that.

    Short Answer, I had a Restore control issue. I don't think Restore in
    itself was causing 'game pauses'. But it was what gave me a clue that
    something was amiss with my install of Windows.

    My first clue was when I ran Ad-Aware and it found 54 hits. Ok, not out of
    the norm since it had been awhile since running it. So I'll just kill them
    like I've done in the past. But it couldn't delete these 54 hits cause
    Ad-Aware reported that they were in use by Windows. The hits were *.cpy
    files in the _restore\temp dir.

    So I started digging into it; one web site recommended to boot into Safe
    mode and delete them. I couldn't do anything in Safe mode. Plus when I
    went and looked at the Restore feature, I couldn't turn Restore off. And
    when I went to look in my _restore\temp dir, I had 30,000 files that totaled
    28gb!

    I even wasted a few days while I booted the computer into DOS mode, manual
    went to the temp dir, and did a del *.*. After letting the computer run
    for 12hrs, it had only deleted about 8k files = 8gb. To make matters
    worse, after a few days, I rechecked it and it was back up another 2k files!
    I was taking two steps forward and one step backwards :(

    Since I couldn't turn off Restore, the fact that I had some temp files that
    were reported as ad-ware, Windows Help wouldn't load, plus some of my games
    were struttering, I figured the heck with messing around, it was time to
    reformat the HD drive.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "OldDog", I will follow your advice and reboot, hopefully to a smooth
    flowing game of LOMAC. Oh aye, i didn't list a Highpoint RocketRAID 1640
    with 4x Seagate Barracuda 80gb; or a hauppauge Nexus-x satellite card. d'oh!
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Carl wrote:

    > "OldDog", I will follow your advice and reboot, hopefully to a smooth
    > flowing game of LOMAC. Oh aye, i didn't list a Highpoint RocketRAID 1640
    > with 4x Seagate Barracuda 80gb; or a hauppauge Nexus-x satellite card.
    > d'oh!

    Be sure to check out some of the graphics perf improvements. The big one is
    explosion effects.

    Mitch
    --
    Remove "nospam." to reply.
    SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

    > "OldDog", I will follow your advice and reboot, hopefully to a smooth
    > flowing game of LOMAC. Oh aye, i didn't list a Highpoint RocketRAID 1640
    > with 4x Seagate Barracuda 80gb; or a hauppauge Nexus-x satellite card.
    d'oh!

    I should clarify my suggestions. While in my case, a reformat and
    reinstall solved a lot of issues, including game struttering, it should
    probably be the last thing a user tries. Checking drivers, BIOS settings,
    and tweaking the game settings should be looked at first.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    No need to clarify, i had already tried all the others. Got it running
    smoothly now, no problems. I was thinking that it needed a reinstall, but
    did not want the hassle. Turns out it did the job!

PC gaming Video Games