Atech Compact Flash Multi-Readers...

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
I was interested in getting one of the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=69&manufactory=1579&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1" target="_new">Atech Compact Flash Multi-Reader "drives"</A> from Newegg.com. The Version II one would be cool for me, b/c it has a spare USB port on the front as opposed to firewire, which I don't need b/c I've already got one firewire port which I barely to rarely use.

The thing is, I am unsure how good they will run with my current setup as well as if they are a solid investment. I have been doing alot of image retouching for myself and my parents, and we both have different types of camera media, so I really would like to get it...

Basically, my question is this: Is the drive easy to install, what are some problems that may arise and is it a sound investment to get the retail box as opposed to the OEM version (a $7 difference)?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

[If loving AMD processors is the path to the Dark Side, consider me a Sith Lord. (dinoX aka Black Dog)]

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Oh boy are you in luck... I just finished a battle of the flash card readers that is going to be up on the site in a few days. Look for it!

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
cool, maybe i'll wait till friday to place my order. I shall look for it! :D

[If loving AMD processors is the path to the Dark Side, consider me a Sith Lord. (dinoX aka Black Dog)]

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I think that it is a pretty in depth article with a good look at a good cross section of units. The Atech Pro II and Pro III are reviewed in this article. The latest word that I have is that it will go up perhaps Friday, Monday, or Tuesday depending. The release time of the article is currently in flux, but at least it is ready.

Thanks!

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
could you link me to the article so I can read it? I already bought the Atech Pro 2, but I just wanted to see what you said...

EDIT: NM, showed up today (halloween). Have yet to install mine btw, but should have it installed by the weekend. Pondering a paint-job for it...

[If loving AMD processors is the path to the Dark Side, consider me a Sith Lord. (dinoX aka Black Dog)]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dinoX on 10/31/02 01:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Brewer

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002
I suggest you also consider the CHP USB 6 in 1 Embedded Card Reader/Writer from NewEgg before buying the Atech. It has the same features and is cheaper too! I really like mine. The only complaint I have is that the drive icons in Windows Explorer are identical for all the slots, so it can be a little difficult to remember which is which.

I wish Dave had included this unit in his review - I think he would have liked it more than the Atech.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What we could use is a good how-to on hard-modifying OEM type motherboards. Take a look at <A HREF="http://www.crashmania.tk" target="_new">http://www.crashmania.tk</A>, get the Socket 478 PDF article and look it over. I ran it past David, he sounded exited at first but then lost interest. The idea is to substitute the necessary socket connections for dip switches. Contact me when you get the nerve :smile:

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>