Sign in with
Your question

Firewire question

Last response: in Windows 7
May 14, 2012 7:17:26 AM

Hello. I recently bought a PC and was interested in doing some video editing. I own a dvcam tape deckwith a firewire output, but cant place my desktop anywhere near it. would I be able to use a seperate laptop that doesnt have firewire and an external firewire usb combo drive to transfer to my desktop? I know this sounds like too much but if its possible it may be my only choice. thank you for your help.

More about : firewire question

May 14, 2012 3:42:26 PM

I dont have room for it anywhere in. The same room. My main question is....if I install sony vegas on my tower and laptop. Can I connect the hard drive to the dvcam via firewire and to the laptop via usb just to utilize the capture in vegas. And then just move the hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2012 9:43:27 PM

you cannot bridge through the harddrive. you can only connect one input at a time.

If your deck can somehow write to the harddrive on its own you can do that and move the drive. My experience with FireWire video cameras was you needed a capture program on a PC to get the output. So you would have to add a FireWire port to the laptop, connect the deck to the laptop and use the laptop to capture video and store it on the drive
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2012 10:59:57 PM

Unfortunately Firewire and USB are neither Pin nor Bus compatible, I am not aware of any external devices which can convert a Firewire interface into a USB interface and I imagine that due to interface restrictions they probably do not exist
m
l
!