Greatest all time flight sims?

Last response: in Video Games
March 8, 2005 1:17:31 PM

I am new to the flight sim world of gaming. I was hoping to get a few
peoples opinions on what some of the latest great simulators are. I really
don't want to turn this into a huge discussion, as I am sure this has been
thoroughly covered in the past. Just a few games and there descriptions as
to why they are any good.
Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:04:31 PM

Luckily, there's tons of options. Rather than the old days in which
there were tons of separate titles, there are today a few titles
occupying the attentions of simmers - but numerous options. You can
get older games like "Falcon 4.0" or "Jane's F-18" - and find that
loyal followers of each have modded the two. (For Falcon, there is
either the "FreeFalcon" or the "SuperPak" mods.) Though these require
some tweaking, it's not much more than you'd do to learn how to fly
them anyway. Because they can be tweaked, they can essentially become
anykind of sim you want it to be. Falcon started off as an F-16 sim -
but with SP or FF, you can fly any of the AI aircraft that come with
the game - last night I flew an F-14 and an EF-Typhoon. The same is
true for WWII games which were always the kind where you can fly
anything. If you get any of the Microsoft games, you can customize
just about everything. It really depends on what you want, and what
system specs you have.

One other thing - you seem to be looking for the newest stuff, but your
thread title implies you're looking for the greatest regardless of age.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:10:11 PM

Dude, that's like asking someone their favorite song!! Come on, you can't do
one thing all the time and continue to be thrilled with it. Except....well
never mind. Of course, the first one, is always the best one. The old DOS
game, Red Baron, was my first, and still favorite game. But I don't play it
anymore, it won't run on my new computer.
Good luck,
Bumper7
Fighter Ace has a new owner, incidently:
https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/
and we are hoping for big things in the future. Do note the free trial!

"Dillon Anderson" <dillandtess@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am new to the flight sim world of gaming. I was hoping to get a few
>peoples opinions on what some of the latest great simulators are. I really
>don't want to turn this into a huge discussion, as I am sure this has been
>thoroughly covered in the past. Just a few games and there descriptions as
>to why they are any good.
> Thanks in advance.

March 8, 2005 3:55:12 PM

"Dillon Anderson" <dillandtess@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am new to the flight sim world of gaming. I was hoping to get a few
> peoples opinions on what some of the latest great simulators are. I
really
> don't want to turn this into a huge discussion, as I am sure this has been
> thoroughly covered in the past. Just a few games and there descriptions
as
> to why they are any good.
> Thanks in advance.

It depends. Do you want to shoot stuff, or just fly around and look at
scenery?
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 4:08:44 PM

Online or Offline? WWI, WWII, or Modern? In depth Campaigns or just
missions?

Icer

>On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:17:31 -0700, "Dillon Anderson" <dillandtess@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I am new to the flight sim world of gaming. I was hoping to get a few
>peoples opinions on what some of the latest great simulators are. I really
>don't want to turn this into a huge discussion, as I am sure this has been
>thoroughly covered in the past. Just a few games and there descriptions as
>to why they are any good.
>Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 6:01:34 PM

"Phil Rhodes" <p.rhodes@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Bumper7
> Fighter Ace has a new owner, incidently:
> https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/
> and we are hoping for big things in the future. Do note the free trial!

When did Jaleco quit out of FA??

> "Dillon Anderson" <dillandtess@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I am new to the flight sim world of gaming. I was hoping to get a few
> >peoples opinions on what some of the latest great simulators are. I
really
> >don't want to turn this into a huge discussion, as I am sure this has
been
> >thoroughly covered in the past. Just a few games and there descriptions
as
> >to why they are any good.
> > Thanks in advance.

Dillon, you could do worse than to play FighterAce as your first flight sim
game. It's got a lot of active squads and members, and they have teaching
rooms set up for new members who want to get the hang of things. If World
War 2 combat tickles your fancy, and you can handle $15.00 a month, I'd
recommend it. Another online subscriber games along this same vein is
AcesHigh. I prefer FA but others feel the same way about AH.

I play almost exclusively IL2-Forgotten Battles myself (another WW2 combat
sim). It's got beautiful graphics, and a highly accurate flight model
(which makes it tough to conquer). There is a lot of 3rd party user add-on
campaigns for offline fun, and the online play is great (and free once you
buy the game). It makes a great excuse to learn about the history of the
WW2 era.

Falcon 4.0 seems to be very popular with fans of jet sims, although it's an
older title. It supposedly has the best campaign system around. But it is
a very detailed sim (it's not even a game, really), which requires getting
over a severely steep learning curve to get into it. LOMAC is another
(newer) jet sim that models the A-10 and the SU-27 quite nicely. LOMAC also
has the best ground detail I've seen in any sim.

Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 3 has a solid fan base and has been
updated to offer better graphics and more stability than when it was
initially released. There's a Korean War mod for it as well - although
personally I can't stand the game due to various issues. Microsoft's Combat
Flight Simulator 2 is still alive and kicking, and in my estimation is a
great sim, even today. Also highly modd-able and there are tons of mods
available for it.

etc. etc. etc....

James
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 6:01:35 PM

James,
As I was reading these replies to my post, I realized I had the right group,
but I was worried I was not going to get the response I had hoped for. But
this list with brief descriptions is what I was looking for.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:D 0l09m$k08$1@home.itg.ti.com...
> "Phil Rhodes" <p.rhodes@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> Bumper7
>> Fighter Ace has a new owner, incidently:
>> https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/
>> and we are hoping for big things in the future. Do note the free trial!
>>

> When did Jaleco quit out of FA??
>
>> "Dillon Anderson" <dillandtess@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >I am new to the flight sim world of gaming. I was hoping to get a few
>> >peoples opinions on what some of the latest great simulators are. I
> really
>> >don't want to turn this into a huge discussion, as I am sure this has
> been
>> >thoroughly covered in the past. Just a few games and there descriptions
> as
>> >to why they are any good.
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >

> Dillon, you could do worse than to play FighterAce as your first flight
> sim
> game. It's got a lot of active squads and members, and they have teaching
> rooms set up for new members who want to get the hang of things. If World
> War 2 combat tickles your fancy, and you can handle $15.00 a month, I'd
> recommend it. Another online subscriber games along this same vein is
> AcesHigh. I prefer FA but others feel the same way about AH.
>
> I play almost exclusively IL2-Forgotten Battles myself (another WW2 combat
> sim). It's got beautiful graphics, and a highly accurate flight model
> (which makes it tough to conquer). There is a lot of 3rd party user
> add-on
> campaigns for offline fun, and the online play is great (and free once you
> buy the game). It makes a great excuse to learn about the history of the
> WW2 era.
>
> Falcon 4.0 seems to be very popular with fans of jet sims, although it's
> an
> older title. It supposedly has the best campaign system around. But it
> is
> a very detailed sim (it's not even a game, really), which requires getting
> over a severely steep learning curve to get into it. LOMAC is another
> (newer) jet sim that models the A-10 and the SU-27 quite nicely. LOMAC
> also
> has the best ground detail I've seen in any sim.
>
> Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 3 has a solid fan base and has been
> updated to offer better graphics and more stability than when it was
> initially released. There's a Korean War mod for it as well - although
> personally I can't stand the game due to various issues. Microsoft's
> Combat
> Flight Simulator 2 is still alive and kicking, and in my estimation is a
> great sim, even today. Also highly modd-able and there are tons of mods
> available for it.
>
> etc. etc. etc....
>
> James

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:58:09 AM

Within the last month, I believe. Of course, negotiations, etc....

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:D 0l09m$k08$1@home.itg.ti.com...
> "Phil Rhodes" <p.rhodes@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> Bumper7
>> Fighter Ace has a new owner, incidently:
>> https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/
>> and we are hoping for big things in the future. Do note the free trial!
>>

> When did Jaleco quit out of FA??
>
>> "Dillon Anderson" <dillandtess@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >I am new to the flight sim world of gaming. I was hoping to get a few
>> >peoples opinions on what some of the latest great simulators are. I
> really
>> >don't want to turn this into a huge discussion, as I am sure this has
> been
>> >thoroughly covered in the past. Just a few games and there descriptions
> as
>> >to why they are any good.
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >

> Dillon, you could do worse than to play FighterAce as your first flight
> sim
> game. It's got a lot of active squads and members, and they have teaching
> rooms set up for new members who want to get the hang of things. If World
> War 2 combat tickles your fancy, and you can handle $15.00 a month, I'd
> recommend it. Another online subscriber games along this same vein is
> AcesHigh. I prefer FA but others feel the same way about AH.
>
> I play almost exclusively IL2-Forgotten Battles myself (another WW2 combat
> sim). It's got beautiful graphics, and a highly accurate flight model
> (which makes it tough to conquer). There is a lot of 3rd party user
> add-on
> campaigns for offline fun, and the online play is great (and free once you
> buy the game). It makes a great excuse to learn about the history of the
> WW2 era.
>
> Falcon 4.0 seems to be very popular with fans of jet sims, although it's
> an
> older title. It supposedly has the best campaign system around. But it
> is
> a very detailed sim (it's not even a game, really), which requires getting
> over a severely steep learning curve to get into it. LOMAC is another
> (newer) jet sim that models the A-10 and the SU-27 quite nicely. LOMAC
> also
> has the best ground detail I've seen in any sim.
>
> Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 3 has a solid fan base and has been
> updated to offer better graphics and more stability than when it was
> initially released. There's a Korean War mod for it as well - although
> personally I can't stand the game due to various issues. Microsoft's
> Combat
> Flight Simulator 2 is still alive and kicking, and in my estimation is a
> great sim, even today. Also highly modd-able and there are tons of mods
> available for it.
>
> etc. etc. etc....
>
> James

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:13:26 PM

I'm going to try and qualify my answers a bit.

My filters.

a) Should be still played today (ie. relevant).

b) Should have lots of fan/mod support.

c) Run on current hardware, natively with minor tweaking/patching.

d) Should have long "legs". I.e. been around the block a few times and/or
ground breaking in it's day.

e) Dynamic Campaigns would be nice.

With that I'd say we're down to a couple.

WWI - Red Baron II (3D add on, etc).

WWII - EAW (still played, modded, etc).

Arguably there are "better" WWII sims are out there, but this was first to
hit critical mass.

WWII 1/2 - (Korean War) - Mig Alley

WWIIIish - Falcon 4

Helo Sim - LongBow2