Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

WMP54G and 64 Bit OS

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
June 7, 2009 5:50:38 PM

I've just about had it with this stupid thing.

It will not work. I tried the Ralink fix, here: http://www.phishthis.com/2009/01/16/how-to-install-wmp5...

Didn't work. I tried the driver CD, the Driver on the website.

I made sure I downloaded the right driver for my firmware version, 4.1.

Nothing seems to work. But of course it works on the other operating systems. But it must be a 64 bit issue, and tons of other people are having them too.

Any ideas?

More about : wmp54g bit

June 9, 2009 2:18:42 AM

Unfortunately, it seems the solution you shared only works in Windows 7 Beta (not the RC). I suggest you contact Ralink and let them know about your problem, since they boast "a strong commitment to PC OEMs" :p 
June 9, 2009 2:27:26 AM

Oh sorry, I thought I mentioned. The actual card is Linksys. The fix is using a Ralink driver, but that still doesn't help my situation. =/

So basically, until Linksys decides to update their drivers, (which they haven't for that card in 2 years) I'm screwed? Typical scenario, for me.

Thanks anyway.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2009 6:11:49 AM

Are others using this card with Vista 64-bit? I'm curious to know if it truly is a 64-bit issue as you say or simply an issue with Release Candidate software. You could try the Vista drivers if the Win 7 drivers don't work.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2009 1:00:18 PM
Share

You said you downloaded the latest driver, but did you try to get it from the chipmaker itself or only from Linksys? The actual chip on that WiFi card is a Ralink rt2561. Generally, you'll find more recent drivers if you go straight to the chipset manufacturer.

Here's the link to Ralink's Windows driver page:

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=1

You'll want the PCI/mPCI/CB (RT256x/RT266x) driver, I believe.

Here's another tip: instead of installing the entire package supplied by Ralink, go to device manager in Windows and manually install just the driver and let Windows handle the WiFi. Things tend to go much smoother with this method.
June 9, 2009 2:56:00 PM

I completely agree, Linksys' wireless program is horrible. Windows does just fine.

Thanks!
December 13, 2009 4:28:21 PM

This thread is a bit dated but it still comes up on top 5 in the search so I figured I would repost my solution here. Hope it helps everyone out there....


Okay, I spent the better part of half a day and got the WMP54G working under Windows 7 64 bit. Why Linksys/Cisco won't update their drivers is beyond me as they are readily available from the OEM Ralink (available since August!!http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/fou...).

I have v4.1 of the card which uses the RT256x chipset. If you have another version of the card, you may have to search to find out what version of Ralink's chipset it is using or do a little try and die until you get it. Here' is the link to the Ralink support page with all the drivers:



1. From the link given above, find your chipset (under part number column) and then click to download. In the case of my v4.1, it is the one listed as PCI/mPCI/CB (RT256x/RT266x). As stated before, do a Google to find your chipset (no identifiers on the card). Obviously throw on a flash drive if you are downloading from another computer.
2. The download is an installer. Run it and make sure to choose the option to JUST INSTALL THE DRIVERS.
3. Now go into the Device Manager and find the Network Card (should be flagged under Network Adapters since the driver hasn't been found yet by Windows). If you don't have the network card installed yet, install it then look for it. If you have it installed and you can't find it, you may have already associated it with another driver and it is not working. Find it in the list of devices and uninstall it.
4. Right click on the Network Card in Device Manager and select Update Driver Software...
5. Select - Browse My Computer for driver software
6. Select - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
7. Select - Network Adapters if not listed yet
8. Select - Ralink from the manufacturers on the left (note mine had 2 and it was the first one for me which had the a/b/g drivers the 2nd has the n nic drivers)
9. Select - 802.11G WIRELESS PCI ADAPTER

Should install and work like a charm. Good luck and I hope I saved you from going out and spending another $40-50 on a comparable wireless pci nic.

- Skinny Pirate (Captain Morgan and Diet Coke) ;-)
December 13, 2009 5:35:55 PM

Thanks for this.

I also found a solution.

In Windows 7 RTM and up, Windows has a driver for it, that automatically loads itself. No hassling.
April 8, 2010 1:50:55 AM

Thanks a bunch Todd, If you found a solution also than why wouldnt you do the right thing to do and post the url ? No hassling?? Yeah right for you maybe. You could have solved problems for many others had you posted the url. Sorry if I am a bit rude but I am F'ing tired of messing with this. I have still not found a fix yet. I am hoping that the one above yours will do the trick. But you deserve a slap upside the head for not posting the link.

Jeff
April 8, 2010 2:28:26 AM

MrPeab said:
Thanks a bunch Todd, If you found a solution also than why wouldnt you do the right thing to do and post the url ? No hassling?? Yeah right for you maybe. You could have solved problems for many others had you posted the url. Sorry if I am a bit rude but I am F'ing tired of messing with this. I have still not found a fix yet. I am hoping that the one above yours will do the trick. But you deserve a slap upside the head for not posting the link.

Jeff

The link that I provided in the first post walks you through it step by step. That link is http://www.phishthis.com/2009/01/16/how-to-install-wmp5...


Also if at all possible, upgrade to the RTM version. It has a built in driver. :) 
April 11, 2010 7:30:57 PM

After a clean install of Windows 7, I cannot even get the wmp54g ver 4.1 to show up in the device driver list to install a driver. I have searched through the devices and can;t find anything that even resembles the Linksys adapter. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rich
April 12, 2010 6:37:03 AM

Hey Rich,

Here's your salvation;

I spent almost a week last year to fix this. I use the driver for Vista x64 which works just fine.
Here's the link, hope it helps:

http://hotfile.com/dl/37535490/718e436/WMP54Gv4x64.zip.html

Note: you have to install it manually. 1- unzip the file, 2- from the device manager update it manually.
April 19, 2010 8:25:43 PM

skinnypirate said:
This thread is a bit dated but it still comes up on top 5 in the search so I figured I would repost my solution here. Hope it helps everyone out there....


Okay, I spent the better part of half a day and got the WMP54G working under Windows 7 64 bit. Why Linksys/Cisco won't update their drivers is beyond me as they are readily available from the OEM Ralink (available since August!!http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/fou...).

I have v4.1 of the card which uses the RT256x chipset. If you have another version of the card, you may have to search to find out what version of Ralink's chipset it is using or do a little try and die until you get it. Here' is the link to the Ralink support page with all the drivers:



1. From the link given above, find your chipset (under part number column) and then click to download. In the case of my v4.1, it is the one listed as PCI/mPCI/CB (RT256x/RT266x). As stated before, do a Google to find your chipset (no identifiers on the card). Obviously throw on a flash drive if you are downloading from another computer.
2. The download is an installer. Run it and make sure to choose the option to JUST INSTALL THE DRIVERS.
3. Now go into the Device Manager and find the Network Card (should be flagged under Network Adapters since the driver hasn't been found yet by Windows). If you don't have the network card installed yet, install it then look for it. If you have it installed and you can't find it, you may have already associated it with another driver and it is not working. Find it in the list of devices and uninstall it.
4. Right click on the Network Card in Device Manager and select Update Driver Software...
5. Select - Browse My Computer for driver software
6. Select - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
7. Select - Network Adapters if not listed yet
8. Select - Ralink from the manufacturers on the left (note mine had 2 and it was the first one for me which had the a/b/g drivers the 2nd has the n nic drivers)
9. Select - 802.11G WIRELESS PCI ADAPTER

Should install and work like a charm. Good luck and I hope I saved you from going out and spending another $40-50 on a comparable wireless pci nic.

- Skinny Pirate (Captain Morgan and Diet Coke) ;-)



Thank you Skinny Pirate, you're step by step walkthrough worked perfectly. Much of it wasn't needed for me, but it was at the very least reassuring that my process was correct, I just hadn't selected the right driver in the device manager. It works perfectly now, so thanks again for all the time that required on your part!
May 7, 2010 11:24:23 AM

skinnypirate said:
This thread is a bit dated but it still comes up on top 5 in the search so I figured I would repost my solution here. Hope it helps everyone out there....


Okay, I spent the better part of half a day and got the WMP54G working under Windows 7 64 bit. Why Linksys/Cisco won't update their drivers is beyond me as they are readily available from the OEM Ralink (available since August!!http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/fou...).

I have v4.1 of the card which uses the RT256x chipset. If you have another version of the card, you may have to search to find out what version of Ralink's chipset it is using or do a little try and die until you get it. Here' is the link to the Ralink support page with all the drivers:



1. From the link given above, find your chipset (under part number column) and then click to download. In the case of my v4.1, it is the one listed as PCI/mPCI/CB (RT256x/RT266x). As stated before, do a Google to find your chipset (no identifiers on the card). Obviously throw on a flash drive if you are downloading from another computer.
2. The download is an installer. Run it and make sure to choose the option to JUST INSTALL THE DRIVERS.
3. Now go into the Device Manager and find the Network Card (should be flagged under Network Adapters since the driver hasn't been found yet by Windows). If you don't have the network card installed yet, install it then look for it. If you have it installed and you can't find it, you may have already associated it with another driver and it is not working. Find it in the list of devices and uninstall it.
4. Right click on the Network Card in Device Manager and select Update Driver Software...
5. Select - Browse My Computer for driver software
6. Select - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
7. Select - Network Adapters if not listed yet
8. Select - Ralink from the manufacturers on the left (note mine had 2 and it was the first one for me which had the a/b/g drivers the 2nd has the n nic drivers)
9. Select - 802.11G WIRELESS PCI ADAPTER

Should install and work like a charm. Good luck and I hope I saved you from going out and spending another $40-50 on a comparable wireless pci nic.

- Skinny Pirate (Captain Morgan and Diet Coke) ;-)


Yes! Many thanks - this works under Windows 7 Ultimate but note the card is not detected in Device Manager under Network Adapters BUT under Other Devices as Unknown Network Controller and also Unknown Device. I selected Unknown Network Controller and then followed the instructions 4. onwards.
June 10, 2010 4:59:09 PM

Thanks SkinnyPirate! Your solution worked perfectly for my ver 4.1 card!
July 6, 2010 2:39:58 AM

I'm a little amazed.

I was having the same problems that everyone else was having with my version 4.1 wmp54g adapter on windows 7 64 bit . I just got a new desktop with Windows 7 and could not get the Linksys wireless adapter to work.

I had the same error code 28 as many others described. After reviewing this forum and the one on the Linksys support site - I kinda gave up.

Then I decided to respond to Windows nagging me to about updates. When I looked at the list of updates, I noticed one titled "Ralink Technology Corp. - Network - Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter". So I allowed Windows to perform all its updates and Voila!! Everything works like a charm.

Device Manager reports the presence of the adapter under "Network Adapters" instead of "Other" and I guess if I had not forgot to attach my antenna, I would not have removed and replaced the adapter card. After all, checking the properties on the device already indicated that the device was working properly
July 16, 2010 5:02:56 PM

Best answer selected by todd5854.
August 25, 2010 10:39:23 AM

todd5854 said:
I've just about had it with this stupid thing.

It will not work. I tried the Ralink fix, here: http://www.phishthis.com/2009/01/16/how-to-install-wmp5...

Didn't work. I tried the driver CD, the Driver on the website.

I made sure I downloaded the right driver for my firmware version, 4.1.

Nothing seems to work. But of course it works on the other operating systems. But it must be a 64 bit issue, and tons of other people are having them too.

Any ideas?

here is the best guide , it worked for me , use these driver

http://www.walterglenn.com/2009/10/26/windows-7-64-bit-...
http://www.walterglenn.com/2009/10/26/windows-7-64-bit-...
http://www.walterglenn.com/2009/10/26/windows-7-64-bit-...
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 25, 2010 7:00:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!