computer card or software that will allow Dolby 5.1?

Last response: in Home Audio
October 19, 2004 3:10:35 AM

Is there computer software that will split my DVD audio to Dolby 5.1
surround, with access to each channel? Currently, to do this, I use a Sony
DVD player with 5.1 and then just access which channel I need from the phono
plug at the rear of the unit, but now that I have a DVD player/ recorder in
my computer, I wonder if I can access the 5.1 channels without having to go
through the extra Sony and lossy phono cables. I currently use a Prodif
Plus in the computer and it won't allow 5.1 channel access on the DVDs, so a
software solution or even a sound card supporting this would be ok as an
alternative but I need to be able to access and edit the channels
individually.

Thanks,
Eric
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 3:10:36 AM

Eric Washburn <ew345t@m.net> wrote:
>Is there computer software that will split my DVD audio to Dolby 5.1
>surround, with access to each channel? Currently, to do this, I use a Sony
>DVD player with 5.1 and then just access which channel I need from the phono
>plug at the rear of the unit, but now that I have a DVD player/ recorder in
>my computer, I wonder if I can access the 5.1 channels without having to go
>through the extra Sony and lossy phono cables. I currently use a Prodif
>Plus in the computer and it won't allow 5.1 channel access on the DVDs, so a
>software solution or even a sound card supporting this would be ok as an
>alternative but I need to be able to access and edit the channels
>individually.

You can buy an outboard AC-3 decoder to do this. But to be honest, this is
what Dolby E is for. Why are you using AC-3 on the original discs in the
first place?
--scott

October 19, 2004 3:10:36 AM

Eric Washburn wrote:
> Is there computer software that will split my DVD audio to Dolby 5.1
> surround, with access to each channel?

PowerDVD, among others.

> I wonder if I can access the 5.1 channels without having to go
> through the extra Sony and lossy phono cables. I currently use a Prodif
> Plus in the computer and it won't allow 5.1 channel access on the DVDs, so a
> software solution or even a sound card supporting this would be ok as an
> alternative but I need to be able to access and edit the channels
> individually.

You want individual digital outputs? Use PowerDVD with something like one of RME HDSP series cards.

You want to get the audio off the DVD and onto your hard drive? Rip the disc and then use something like ac3filter to decode and break up the multichannel stream.
<http://www.doom9.net/&gt; has more information that you probably want to know.
October 19, 2004 3:59:46 AM

> Eric Washburn <ew345t@m.net> wrote:
> >Is there computer software that will split my DVD audio to Dolby 5.1
> >surround, with access to each channel? Currently, to do this, I use a
Sony
> >DVD player with 5.1 and then just access which channel I need from the
phono
> >plug at the rear of the unit, but now that I have a DVD player/ recorder
in
> >my computer, I wonder if I can access the 5.1 channels without having to
go
> >through the extra Sony and lossy phono cables. I currently use a Prodif
> >Plus in the computer and it won't allow 5.1 channel access on the DVDs,
so a
> >software solution or even a sound card supporting this would be ok as an
> >alternative but I need to be able to access and edit the channels
> >individually.
>
> You can buy an outboard AC-3 decoder to do this. But to be honest, this
is
> what Dolby E is for. Why are you using AC-3 on the original discs in the
> first place?
> --scott

Sorry, Scott, I think you might have lost me there. What I am trying to do
is simply to access the individual channels of the Dolby 5.1 surround
format. Normally I do this with a 5.1 DVD player I have here that offers
phono outputs for each channel, but I thought there might be a simpler way
to do this with my DVD player in the computer. I have no choice as far as
the DVDs I want to access are concerned: they were originally recorded in
Dolby 5.1 format. You saw an outboard AC-3 decoder can do this, but I
gather that's what my DVD player already has so I was looking for a software
or other internal solution. I can keep accessing through the phono outputs
if needbe, but I was just looking for a more convenient and less lossy way.
BTW, this Dolby 5.1 is lossy in itself and if I had a choice of better
format, I definitely would have taken it.

Eric

October 20, 2004 11:30:01 PM

"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
> Eric Washburn wrote:
> > Is there computer software that will split my DVD audio to Dolby 5.1
> > surround, with access to each channel?
>
> PowerDVD, among others.

I have PowerDVD, but I can't access the Dolby 5.1 channels. I am using a
Prodif Plus soundcard. How would I do it?

> > I wonder if I can access the 5.1 channels without having to go
> > through the extra Sony and lossy phono cables. I currently use a Prodif
> > Plus in the computer and it won't allow 5.1 channel access on the DVDs,
so a
> > software solution or even a sound card supporting this would be ok as an
> > alternative but I need to be able to access and edit the channels
> > individually.
>
> You want individual digital outputs? Use PowerDVD with something like one
of RME HDSP series cards.

Prodif Plus?

> You want to get the audio off the DVD and onto your hard drive? Rip the
disc and then use something like ac3filter to decode and break up the
multichannel stream.
> <http://www.doom9.net/&gt; has more information that you probably want to
know.

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 11:30:02 PM

Eric Washburn wrote:
> "Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
>
>> Eric Washburn wrote:
>>
>>> Is there computer software that will split my DVD audio to Dolby 5.1
>>> surround, with access to each channel?
>>
>> PowerDVD, among others.
>

> I have PowerDVD, but I can't access the Dolby 5.1 channels. I am using a
> Prodif Plus soundcard. How would I do it?

Define "access." If you want to get analog outs, the soundcard must have an option to present 6-8 channels as a single multichannel output rather than as individual mono channels (ASIO style) or as stereo pairs (MME/WDM style.)

If you want raw access to the tracks as files, then my advice below still applies:

!